Corrosion-proofing internal surfaces of aluminum aircraft

Old November 3rd 04, 03:51 AM
aa

Default Corrosion-proofing internal surfaces of aluminum aircraft

I am in the process of restoring a Cessna 170. It is a major restoration
with many fuselage and wing skin pieces being replaced. How should I treat
the interior surfaces? I initially planned to paint everything with zinc
chromate. But the more I look into this, the more I worry about the
toxicity of the zinc chromate and the lack of effectiveness in terms of
corrosion proofing. I've heard of folks using self-etching primers, wash
primers, epoxy primers, nothing at all, or even spray can enamels.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Alex
N170W