A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seminole Lake Gliderport Future?

Old March 6th 16, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport Future?

Hi,

I am interested in getting a glider rating at Seminole Lake. I drove up last week to see the place and fell in love. When searching on the internet, I came across post on here saying that the owner bought the place with stolen money and is now getting deported back to Europe. The article said he was facing life in prison! Wow!

I'm told that this is (or maybe was) the place to get a rating, but I'm hesitant to spend several thousands of dollars if the place is on the verge of collapse.

I also searched on google for "fugitive assets frozen" and it appears since this was such a high profile case that this airports assets will be frozen before too long and sold off to repay the money to whom the owner stole from.

I read on this forum from the management that they have a plan, but if they don't state the exact details of the plan to it doesn't sound like they actually have a plan.

Can anyone recommend another gliderport in Florida? Or is it worth driving up to Chilhowee Tennessee?

Thanks

Old March 6th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

You should realize that when there is a change of ownership, businesses rarely stop operating. As long as it's a successful going concern, it will very likely continue as such. That's especially so considering the significant investment on the property. It is a pretty place for soaring.

Old March 6th 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 12:22:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in getting a glider rating at Seminole Lake. I drove up last week to see the place and fell in love. When searching on the internet, I came across post on here saying that the owner bought the place with stolen money and is now getting deported back to Europe. The article said he was facing life in prison! Wow!

I'm told that this is (or maybe was) the place to get a rating, but I'm hesitant to spend several thousands of dollars if the place is on the verge of collapse.

I also searched on google for "fugitive assets frozen" and it appears since this was such a high profile case that this airports assets will be frozen before too long and sold off to repay the money to whom the owner stole from.

I read on this forum from the management that they have a plan, but if they don't state the exact details of the plan to it doesn't sound like they actually have a plan.

Can anyone recommend another gliderport in Florida? Or is it worth driving up to Chilhowee Tennessee?

Thanks

I just came from a 3 week stay and it was alive and well even though the owner was not there. I went there over Chilhowee due to that is the first place I ever flew in a glider, know some of the people there, and the weather was warmer. I plan to fly Chilhowee this summer even though I have never been. My 5th flight ever in a single place glider was over 4hrs there, and was only limited by my launch time of 1 o'clock. I could have easily stayed up over 5hrs if I had launched earlier.

Check the SSA.org site for the closes operation to you: http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

I think any operation today would not be in business if they were not good at what they do. Different operations have different facilities, gliders, and hours of operation. Many operations help each other out with tow planes when a contest is being organized.

Old March 6th 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

http://www.eaglesport.org/ combination power and glider club

http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp

Florida is flat. Chilhowee is in the mountains. Getting the add-on rating in FL will be easier. If/when you train in the mountains, you will learn additional skills. I suggest learning the basics of aerotow and landing in FL close to home, and then immediately (while you still have 'beginner's mind') start visiting Chilhowee to learn about Appalachian Mountain Style soaring. Get the basics out of the way in FL this Spring, then go to Chilhowee over the summer and enjoy the cooler mountain weather.

Once you get comfortable in a glider, go to Chilhowee to get a taste of Appalachian Mountain Soaring and expand your skill set.
Old March 6th 16, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 12:22:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

If you pay anything upfront, use a US Credit Card (NOT a Debit Card, Cash, or Check). That way you will be protected by your credit card issuer if there is a hiccup and they go bankrupt. It's good to be concerned, as even if the business continues to operate, creditors, including gift certificate owners and people with outstanding deposits aren't necessarily protected.
Old March 6th 16, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

As Wilbur Wright said, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

But here are some facts as I know them:

1. The owner is not facing life in prison.
2. Arrangements have been made to secure the continued operation of the gliderport.
3. The fact that "the plan" is not posted to the internet does not mean there is not a plan.
4. The management is busy getting ready for the Seniors contest that starts in a few days and probably don't have time to write something every time someone cries wolf.

If you spend several thousand dollars getting your rating, then what difference does it make after you have completed your rating as to the disposition of the site?

Old March 7th 16, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

The issue would be timing. He doesn't want to be half-way through the rating and have the operation close doors on him.

A fellow JetBlue pilot recommended Citrus Soaring - Franklin Burbank - in Mt. Dora/Eustis. (Between Leesburg, FL and Sanford, FL at the Mid-Florida Airpark.) When I trained there last July, they had just moved back to Mid-Florida that week after being over at Pierson for something like 20 years. They have a 2-33 and a 1-26, and I was able to complete my Comm-Glider add-on very easily.

Franklin and his dad, Bob, are both Designated Examiners. Scheduling rides is never a problem. (They also do checkrides for Seminole Lake.)

http://www.citrussoaringclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/Citrus-Soar...2899575746304/

Franklin Burbank 352-223-2883

They have my highest recommendation.

Cheers!
Paul Agnew
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Old March 7th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

If you pay anything upfront, use a US Credit Card (NOT a Debit Card, Cash, or Check). That way you will be protected by your credit card issuer if there is a hiccup and they go bankrupt. It's good to be concerned, as even if the business continues to operate, creditors, including gift certificate owners and people with outstanding deposits aren't necessarily protected.

I've never seen anyone pay upfront. Payment is due after lessons or tows. My payment and others I saw anyway were after services rendered.
Old March 7th 16, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 6:06:20 PM UTC-5, Paul Agnew wrote:
The issue would be timing. He doesn't want to be half-way through the rating and have the operation close doors on him.

A fellow JetBlue pilot recommended Citrus Soaring - Franklin Burbank - in Mt. Dora/Eustis. (Between Leesburg, FL and Sanford, FL at the Mid-Florida Airpark.) When I trained there last July, they had just moved back to Mid-Florida that week after being over at Pierson for something like 20 years. They have a 2-33 and a 1-26, and I was able to complete my Comm-Glider add-on very easily.

Franklin and his dad, Bob, are both Designated Examiners. Scheduling rides is never a problem. (They also do checkrides for Seminole Lake.)

http://www.citrussoaringclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/Citrus-Soar...2899575746304/

Franklin Burbank 352-223-2883

They have my highest recommendation.

Cheers!
Paul Agnew
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have flown with Franklin once before. A very good instructor and a younger guy than most CFIGs I know.

The biggest difference in Seminole and Citrus is Blanik L23 vs Schweizer 2-33 and the hours of operation I believe. Seminole is open Tue-Sun. Seminole has accommodations on site but not sure about Citrus. Seminole also has a Grob 103 and 3 Pawnee tow planes. I enjoy talking to some comp pilots and checking out their gliders at Seminole but I can not speak of Citrus. Seminole has a DPE living at the field but Bob and Franklin will also come to Seminole for check rides. I have not been to Citrus, I flew with Franklin when he worked at Seminole.

Either place can hook you up. They are not that far apart. You can visit each and check out the action and see which one fits you better.
Old March 7th 16, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Good evening, my name is Rich Owen and I am the Vice-President of Seminole Flying and Soaring the parent company of Seminole-Lake Gliderport. We were frankly surprised of the rumors regarding the demise of this vibrant company. To give you an example, next week we are holding the largest one class soaring contest in the United States. We have hosted this contest for the last 26 years. We had 93 pilots apply for 60 available slots. There are 34 RV's staying in our RV park. Our waiting list is larger then many contest held in the United States. On the heels of this race we always hold a cross country or racing camp to offer advanced flight training.
We offer flight training 6 days a week with instructors adveraging over 20 years of experience in soaring. With accommodations available on the airfield obtaining your license at Seminloe Lake is efficient and very cost effective. The availability of the many attractions in the Orlando area will fill your family's time while you are flying.
I hope this has answered some of your questions and assauged your doubts. Please fill free to email me at
Sincerely,
Rich