Transceivers

Old September 25th 03, 07:17 AM
Scott

Default Transceivers

I'm looking to buy a transceiver. Which one? I hardly know of any models out
there. I don't really know what to look for. I do local flying at my
gliderport, but I do plan to do some big x-countries next summer. Mainly I
want it, because the one in my favorite club glider only has 4 channels.
Someone told me about getting one with NAV or navigation functions on it?
What's the use, or is it somethihnhg at all? thanks for all your answers.

Old September 25th 03, 04:49 PM
Plumed L. Basilisk

Go Go Gadget Scott :
I'm looking to buy a transceiver. Which one? I hardly know of any models out
there. I don't really know what to look for. I do local flying at my
gliderport, but I do plan to do some big x-countries next summer. Mainly I
want it, because the one in my favorite club glider only has 4 channels.
Someone told me about getting one with NAV or navigation functions on it?
What's the use, or is it somethihnhg at all? thanks for all your answers.

Our gliding club recently purchased a pair of handheld radios for field
operations. In choosing a model, I evaluated three - the Vertex VXA-150,
plus the ICom A4 and A5. None had navigation, though the A5 is available
with NAV as an option.

Here's my research, prices in Canadian dollars (www.radioworld.ca and VIP)

I've completed the research, and have found that Ottawa stores are
exhorbitantly expensive when compared with internet stores, though they
did give me the opportunity to play with the radios.

Here is the mathematical comparaison of the three finalists:

---Radio-------| | Battery life, Receiving
| | | Battery life, Squelching
Vertex VXA-150 | 0.73hrs | 4.00hrs | 15.5hrs | 5.00W | 12oz | $300
ICom A4 | 1.00hrs | 2.80hrs | 12.7hrs | 3.70W | 15oz | $350
ICom A5 | 0.07hrs | 1.52hrs | 10.8hrs | 5.00W | 12oz | $400

(Note that these numbers are derived from specs and likely useful only for
comparaison, and indicate better battery life than we will actually
experience)

Some pro/con thoughts on the models:

The ICom matches the brand of the radio already in the flight shack, which
means that it may make transitionning easier for pilots slow to learn, but
the flight shack radio is weird enough that the opposite may be true,
especially with the A4. The A4 would allow us to set up the radio for us
to use 123.3/123.4/121.5 very easily, but would make it difficult for an
inexperienced user to use other frequencies. I believe that the
difficulty in use of the A5 and VXA-150 to be similar, being that they'll
be harder to learn, but easier to use once learned.

The VXA-150 cannot have its battery charged while it is on, which is a
drawback should the battery die. 50% larger aftermarket batteries are
available for the VXA-150 and the A4, but not for the A5. The A4 is
noticably larger than the A5 and the VXA-150, though only 3oz heavier.
The A4 has much less transmit power and reduced range from the A5 and the
VXA-150, which explains its longer battery life when transmitting.

The ICom radios have slightly stronger construction and weather resistance
than the VXA-150. On the other hand, the VXA-150 is less expensive, and
when considering the chance that these handheld radios will be lost or
stolen before they wear out, I would take less expensive over more
waterproof.

My conclusion is that the Vertex Standard is the most suitable for GGC
operations, as any of the minor benefits held by the ICom radios are
overshadowed by their increased cost. The Vertex radios appear to be
strong in their own right, and are manufactured by one of the newer and
more popular Japanese entrants to the radio market, Yeasu.

----------------------------------

Based on this, we got two VXA-150s, and have been using them for just one
day so far.

--
, Unicorn of Usenet & ******* of Bandwidth
"If my son wants to be a pimp when he grows up, that's fine with me. I
Old September 26th 03, 12:27 AM
Vaughn

"Plumed L. Basilisk" wrote in
message ...
Here's my research, prices in Canadian dollars (www.radioworld.ca and VIP)

I've completed the research, and have found that Ottawa stores are
exhorbitantly expensive when compared with internet stores, though they
did give me the opportunity to play with the radios.

Here is the mathematical comparaison of the three finalists:

| Battery life, transmitting
---Radio-------| | Battery life, Receiving
| | | Battery life, Squelching
Vertex VXA-150 | 0.73hrs | 4.00hrs | 15.5hrs | 5.00W | 12oz | $300
ICom A4 | 1.00hrs | 2.80hrs | 12.7hrs | 3.70W | 15oz | $350
ICom A5 | 0.07hrs | 1.52hrs | 10.8hrs | 5.00W | 12oz | $400

(Note that these numbers are derived from specs and likely useful only for
comparaison, and indicate better battery life than we will actually
experience)

Good research. Scott left it unclear, but I suppose he is looking for
a portable. Vertex has actually been around for a long time (formerly known
as Yaesu). Vertex and Icom are the Honda and Toyota of the consumer 2-way
radio world. You will not go far wrong with either make. I have the
VXA-150 and am very happy with it.

Vaughn