Graduated Penalties (JJ needs a new project)

Old September 26th 03, 12:14 AM
Dave Nadler \YO\

Default Graduated Penalties (JJ needs a new project)

JJ, You are *definitely* in need of a new project.
Did you bid on that glider I pointed you at ?
See ya, Dave

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
I got tagged twice this year and so, consider myself something of an

expert on
penalties. At Minden, I was heading for the edge of the 10,000 MSL start

gate
at 9,900. I knew I was too close, but a thermal shoved me up from my

normal
9,700 feet. Just at the edge of the 5 mile gate (you guessed it) I hit

another
thermal. I shoved it over hard and the GPS said I made the edge just

before the
altimeter said I was too high. Was I right? NO, the GPS logger said I hit
10,010. That cost me 25 points, actually it was 23, or so, because it

wasn't a
1000 point day.

At Ephrata, I hit the 500 foot, 1 mile, finish gate at 120 knots and 500

feet.
Stupid move, I knew I should have had at least 100 foot margin, but JN and

were in a real knife fight, and I wanted every second. GPS said I was

something
like 470 feet at the 1 mile marker. Got tagged 1 additional minute, which
amounted to 6 points that day. The rules say, A penalty will be applied,

but
don't say what it is. The CD had announced it would be + 1 minute for each

100
feet low. Kinda' Like:

400' up to 499' = +1 minute
300' up to 399' = + 2 minutes
200' up to 299' = + 3 minutes
100' up to 199' = + 4 minutes
0' up to 99' = + 5 minutes
Less than 0' = + 5 minutes + see local glider repair

shop.

Just a little humor there, sorry. Anyway, Charlie used this formula in the
Standard Nats with another incentieve, he added an additional 5 minutes to
everything, so that 410 feet got you a 6 minute penalty. I like it. Gives

the
guy that may be close to not making the 500 foot, an incentive to NOT push

it
over and call for a "Smoken' Rollin' Finish"

One more tid-bit. At Ephrata, I pulled up at the 1 mile mark and actually
entered the finish cylinder just inside 1 mile. After the contest, I

checked
with Guy Byers and the Rules Committee (KS) and they both said, "You may

enter
the finish cylinder from the side (1mile) OR from underneath", as I had

done.
Shouldn't have gotten that 1 minute penalty. Oh well, put another needle

in my
Ephrata doll.
JJ Sinclair

Old September 26th 03, 01:46 AM
JJ Sinclair

A guy in this area bid, but the logistics are bad, 3000 miles and the owner
wants 10K for the trailer.
JJ, You are *definitely* in need of a new project.
Did you bid on that glider I pointed you at ?
See ya, Dave

Nobody caught the *problem* with my *Start Gate* at Minden post. Can you figure
it out?

JJ Sinclair
Old September 26th 03, 03:35 PM
Gary Kemp

I think Ephrata guys are sticking needles in your doll, time to make
nice and by the way, I have a set of Nimbus 3 wings that need
refinishing, should keep you away from the computer for most of the
winter.

Gary

Old September 26th 03, 03:54 PM
John Shelton

And I have a set of Ventus C wings that need refinishing if you want to
practice on mine before tackling Gary's old sow.

Old September 26th 03, 04:01 PM
JJ Sinclair

And I have a set of Ventus C wings that need refinishing if you want to
practice on mine before tackling Gary's old sow.

Are you guys saying I'm better with my hands than I am with my mouth? I got to
find something, though or Pat will start whining about painting the shop and
barn again. I got soooooo bored, I even buffed and waxed my trailer. Got rid of
that gray grunge, looks brand new again.
JJ Sinclair

V-6 STOL Project For Sale Bruce A. Frank Home Built 0 January 28th 05 07:28 AM
Moon Project Jim Weir Piloting 0 January 15th 04 07:13 PM
AI Acft- A Gem Discovered mike popken Simulators 4 January 11th 04 05:06 AM
Question: Researching Project Tilt Home Built 21 December 17th 03 02:39 PM
Project 172, sitting outside, uncovered for 18 years! Wayne Owning 4 August 5th 03 04:57 PM