Geoff Peck - So Long

Old August 17th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
pigpen

Default Geoff Peck - So Long

I'm not sure how familiar the name "Geoff Peck" is to many of you now,
but in addition to being a pilot, flight instructor and techie, he was
the
architect of the current rec.aviation group organization.

Anyways, Geoff Peck passed away in his Piper Arrow, on the way
back from OSH.

A moment of silence might be in order.

--
aboyd ATP www.pittspecials.com

Old August 17th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Natalie

pigpen wrote:
I'm not sure how familiar the name "Geoff Peck" is to many of you now,
but in addition to being a pilot, flight instructor and techie, he was
the
architect of the current rec.aviation group organization.

Anyways, Geoff Peck passed away in his Piper Arrow, on the way
back from OSH.

A moment of silence might be in order.

This is sad. In addition to the rec.aviation activities and
coordinating many lunch and dinner outings for net.aviation/
rec.aviation meetings at Oshkosh, he's also responsible for
several significant aviation contributions.

Geoff wrote both the flight planner and the plain language
translater that the GTE/CONTEL DUATS program uses. He also
did the web interface for the same that you see on the duats.com
and AOPA.ORG sites.

I waved at Geoff at his booth at Oshkosh this year but he was
busy trying to sell, so I didn't linger.
Old August 17th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
"pigpen" wrote:

I'm not sure how familiar the name "Geoff Peck" is to many of you now,
but in addition to being a pilot, flight instructor and techie, he was
the
architect of the current rec.aviation group organization.

Anyways, Geoff Peck passed away in his Piper Arrow, on the way
back from OSH.

A moment of silence might be in order.

--
aboyd ATP www.pittspecials.com

We will miss Geoff - he contributed a lot. Here is a preliminary NTSB
report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...10X01143&key=1

NTSB Identification: DEN06FA111
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, August 07, 2006 in Salida, CO
Aircraft: Piper PA-28R-201, registration: N6506C
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain
errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final
report has been completed.

On August 7, 2006, approximately 1030 mountain daylight time, a Piper
PA-28R-201, N6506C, piloted by an airline transport pilot, was destroyed
when it collided with mountainous terrain during a forced landing 16
miles northwest of Salida, Colorado, near to community of Maysville,
Colorado. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the
accident. The business cross-country flight was being conducted under
the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 without a
flight plan. The pilot was fatally injured and his passenger was
seriously injured. The flight originated at Salida, Colorado,
approximately 0945 and was en route to Milford, Utah.

Papers found in the wreckage indicate the pilot was returning to San
Jose, California, after attending the EAA Convention in Oshkosh,
Wisconsin. The accident site was situated in a bowl at an elevation of
12,020 feet msl (above mean sea level) and surrounded by mountain peaks
as high as 14,000 feet. Campers along the drainage reported hearing an
airplane proceeding up the canyon. A construction worker near the
accident site observed a low-flying airplane that failed to emerge from
the valley. When he went to investigate, he discovered the wreckage with
the survivor sitting outside the airplane.

Preliminary investigation indicates the right wing struck a pine tree
that severed the outboard 10 feet. The airplane impacted rocky terrain
inverted and skidded to a halt. The landing gear was down and the flaps
were up.
Old August 17th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Natalie

Old August 17th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Brian D. Horn

Ron Natalie wrote:

Anyways, Geoff Peck passed away in his Piper Arrow, on the way
back from OSH.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...10X01143&key=1

It gives one pause.

Here is a newpaper article that has a little (very) more information.

http://www.chieftain.com/metro/1155297601/17
Old August 18th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
jmk

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
On August 7, 2006, approximately 1030 mountain daylight time, a Piper
PA-28R-201, N6506C, piloted by an airline transport pilot, was destroyed
when it collided with mountainous terrain during a forced landing 16
miles northwest of Salida, Colorado, ... The landing gear was down and the flaps
were up.

When I first read it, I wasn't sure WHY they were saying "forced
landing" - then I noticed the landing configuration given right at the
end. I will be very interested to see what the final analysis comes up
with (engine malfunction, etc.).

Yes, I have known Geof, at least by e:mail, for many many years. He
has been a level headed and faithful contributor to the art of
aviation, and he will indeed be missed.

jmk

Old August 18th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
John Godwin

Geoff's obit in the San Jose Mercury-News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/15303610.htm

Old August 29th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Dave Anderer[_1_]

Geoff was the person most responsible for getting me to finally start
flying - jeez, 17 years ago.

I never had the chance to meet him in person, but he was extremely
supportive and helpful over the net as I began the experience. He
graciously supplied encouragement and advice, and shared with me his
training syllabus and other materials.

He also provided a great deal of useful, real-world information most
CFIs just don't know or teach anymore.

One great guy.

Pacific Clipper - The long way home Big John Piloting 2 April 5th 06 06:20 PM
Many "firsts" today - LONG Jase Vanover Piloting 3 March 12th 06 10:42 AM
Instruement checkride...for real this time (long) Jack Allison Piloting 28 February 28th 06 03:26 AM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Piloting 19 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
Helicopter gun at LONG range Tony Williams Naval Aviation 3 August 20th 03 02:14 AM