Flying a private plane around the Caribbean in spring 2004

Old November 1st 03, 10:52 PM
Klaus Bucka-Lassen

Default Flying a private plane around the Caribbean in spring 2004

Hi everybody

We are two Danes and two Austrians who have thought of flying around
the Carribean for about a month in late winter/wpring 2004. Just from
looking at the map we figure it should be possible to do some loop
around the Caribbean Sea (Cuba - Haiti - Domenican Rep. - Puerto Rico
- Venezuela - Panama - Costa Rica - Nicaragua - Honduras). Maybe even
extend it to cover the Mexican Gulf as well (going through Texas, the
southern US states and coming down Florida back into the Carribean
loop). It looks doable to us - the longest stretch of water seems to
be no more than about an hour of flight.

I (Klaus) have a PPL and have already done a big trip of that
magnitude (2 1/2 months, 115 flying hours actually) around Australia
(www.bucka-lassen.dk/flacroz). Experience is about 200 hours as PIC.
Wolfgang, the other pilot also has a PPL and a little less experience.
We'd be looking into hiring a plane like a Cessna 172, a Grumman
Tiger, Piper Archer II or any similar sized plane (maybe slightly
bigger) that can carry about 300kg of passengers and luggage in total.

ANY suggestions on the route, hints on what to see and what not, what
countries to look up and which to avoid, tips on where to hire a
plane, administrative stuff that has to be sorted out (visas for
instance) etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Wolfgang, Eva, Linda, and
Klaus Bucka-Lassen
Old November 1st 03, 11:54 PM
Dave

"Klaus Bucka-Lassen" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I don't think you will be able to go to Cuba if you are using a US plane or
are starting or ending your journey in the US.

There is a bit of politics involved, a 45 year grudge (something to do with
commie *******s) so you would need to adjust your itinerary.

Old November 2nd 03, 03:33 AM
Newps

Dave wrote:

I don't think you will be able to go to Cuba if you are using a US plane or
are starting or ending your journey in the US.

There is a bit of politics involved, a 45 year grudge (something to do with
commie *******s) so you would need to adjust your itinerary.

The Cubans would love to have you, you just need to go there from a
country other than the USA. And you would need to go to a country other
than the USA on your first leg out of Cuba.

Old November 2nd 03, 03:40 AM
Capt. Doug

Klaus Bucka-Lassen wrote in message Just from
looking at the map we figure it should be possible to do some loop
around the Caribbean Sea (Cuba - Haiti - Domenican Rep. - Puerto Rico
- Venezuela - Panama - Costa Rica - Nicaragua - Honduras).

I had lunch in the Bahamas this afternoon.

You can do the route without being more than 50 miles from land at any time.
However, I recommend taking a life-raft with a survival kit for
single-engine over-water flying. The weather is generally good all year
round. Credit cards are NOT accepted at most airports. The US dollar is the
tender of choice. Air Traffic Control is ICAO standard throughout the region
although you may have to ask some controllers to say again if you aren't
accustomed to Spanish accents.

An excellent resource is the "Bahamas and Caribbean Guide for Pilots". The
website is
www.pilotpub.com (It shows the year 2002 but there is a more recent
edition).

If you arrive in the US on a major airline, you will likely be issued a
green form in lieu of a visa. Keep the green form with during your trip
around the Caribbean or you won't be allowed back in the US. Enjoy your
trip!

D.

Old November 2nd 03, 08:14 AM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 03:40:22 GMT, Capt. Doug wrote:

If you arrive in the US on a major airline, you will likely be issued a
green form in lieu of a visa. Keep the green form with during your trip
around the Caribbean or you won't be allowed back in the US. Enjoy your
trip!

If you plan such a trip (Cuba etc.) then you should have a tourist visa.
Foreigners have a hard stand these days, esp. in the US.

#m

--
http://www.refuseandresist.org/
Old November 2nd 03, 08:23 AM
Martin Hotze

On 1 Nov 2003 14:52:55 -0800, Klaus Bucka-Lassen wrote:

We are two Danes and two Austrians who have thought of flying around
the Carribean for about a month in late winter/wpring 2004. Just from

check for VISA requirements. in all countries you plan to stay (and all
those you select as alternate).

looking at the map we figure it should be possible to do some loop
around the Caribbean Sea (Cuba - Haiti - Domenican Rep. - Puerto Rico
- Venezuela - Panama - Costa Rica - Nicaragua - Honduras). Maybe even

well, doable and reasonable are 2 different things. :-)

extend it to cover the Mexican Gulf as well (going through Texas, the
southern US states and coming down Florida back into the Carribean
loop). It looks doable to us - the longest stretch of water seems to
be no more than about an hour of flight.

well, some of the above countries are on an evil axis, according to the
current US administration. Also you should check with your Austrian and
Danish embassy about travel warnings.

I (Klaus) have a PPL and have already done a big trip of that

you all are planning to fly on basis of which national certificates? And
you plan on flying N-reg planes?

magnitude (2 1/2 months, 115 flying hours actually) around Australia
(www.bucka-lassen.dk/flacroz). Experience is about 200 hours as PIC.

well.
are you instrument rated?

Wolfgang, the other pilot also has a PPL and a little less experience.

instrument rated?

We'd be looking into hiring a plane like a Cessna 172, a Grumman
Tiger, Piper Archer II or any similar sized plane (maybe slightly
bigger) that can carry about 300kg of passengers and luggage in total.

4 plus fuel plus luggage plus survival gear in a C172 or an Archer?
nice idea.

ANY suggestions on the route, hints on what to see and what not, what

_always_ unload your plane totally before leaving a country and search for
drugs.

countries to look up and which to avoid, tips on where to hire a
plane, administrative stuff that has to be sorted out (visas for
instance) etc. would be greatly appreciated!

well, _I_'d look into an instrument and multi rating and min. 100 hours
intensive training. But this is only me.

#m
--
http://www.refuseandresist.org/
Old November 2nd 03, 12:47 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Capt. Doug" wrote in message

If you arrive in the US on a major airline, you will likely be issued a
green form in lieu of a visa. Keep the green form with during your trip
around the Caribbean or you won't be allowed back in the US. Enjoy your
trip!

As Martin suggests, I think it's more difficult than that. I've heard from
UK pilots who got into trouble presuming that they would be allowed to use
the visa waiver program when, after a trip to the Bahamas or similar, they
arrived back in the US in a light aircraft. You may need a full B-2 visa.

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...spect/vwpp.htm

"When Must I Obtain a Visa Instead of Using the VWP?
If you intend to arrive in the United States aboard a non-signatory air
carrier, you must obtain a nonimmigrant visa prior to boarding the
aircraft."

Julian Scarfe

Old November 2nd 03, 12:58 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:47:03 -0000, Julian Scarfe wrote:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...spect/vwpp.htm

"When Must I Obtain a Visa Instead of Using the VWP?
If you intend to arrive in the United States aboard a non-signatory air
carrier, you must obtain a nonimmigrant visa prior to boarding the
aircraft."

well, I once planned a trip to the Bahamas and checked with the local US
embassy. The lady there told me something about a special agreement valid
for the Bahamas, yadda yadda .... well, finally I cancelled the Bahamas
trip because of other factors. But for sure I will try to avoid any
possible hassles with an immigration-homeland-security-officer.

(as for now I avoid all problems by cancelling any plans for visiting the
US)

#m

--
http://www.refuseandresist.org/
Old November 2nd 03, 02:27 PM
Thomas Borchert

Martin,

instrument rated?

While I agree on your other comments: What for?

To Klaus:
Many of the countries you mention are classic drug runner countries.
Cut your list down a little bit and you'll save a lot of trouble.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 2nd 03, 02:56 PM
C J Campbell

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
..

| well, some of the above countries are on an evil axis, according to the
| current US administration. Also you should check with your Austrian and
| Danish embassy about travel warnings.

Really? I seem to recall only three countries being mentioned in the 'Axis
of Evil' speech, none of them in the western hemisphere.