See and avoid

Old March 20th 04, 01:33 AM
Judah

"Shoot and avoid and ask questions later."

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

Teacherjh wrote:

Say, why don't airplanes have horns to honk? If you see an airplane
with its blinkers flashing a left turn, and he's going right into your
lane, you can't honk to get him out of the way.

Who can hear a honk over the engine noise? Flares...we need flares.
We can fire a few across the bow of anyone about to turn into our lane.
And then if they continue, we fire a little closer.

- Andrew

Old March 20th 04, 01:34 AM
Judah

Perhaps the solution is to eliminate the idea of electrical turn signals,
and replace them with large appendages out the left seat -

If the appendage is raised up above the airframe, it's a right turn. If
it's extended beyond the left wing, it's a left turn. And if it's pointed
down, expect slow flight.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in
:

Cub Driver wrote:

Well, for one thing, many light airplanes were built before turn
indicators were adopted

Dunno if that's applicable. Many cars were too!

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot
that would
not yield to the tongue.

Old March 20th 04, 05:07 AM
Chris Hoffmann

Guy at work wants to know if you flash your high beams when you're
overtaking another plane.....Comic genius, that guy.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Teacherjh wrote:

Say, why don't airplanes have horns to honk?

I've seen one that did (or maybe has?). Dunno how they got the thing

approved.

Old March 20th 04, 11:15 PM
SeeAndAvoid

"Brad Z" wrote in message
This is possibly the stupidest debate about the stupidest topic on the
usenet.

HEY! (well, it is kind of lame)

Must keep the term alive!

Chris
(aka SeeAndAvoid)

Old March 21st 04, 02:37 AM
C J Campbell

"Kees Mies" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

Just wondering.
Why do light aircraft do not have turning indicators?
The see-and-avoid concept has its shortcomings, but I have sometimes more
problems with see-and-what-is-he/she-upto??????

While everyone has pointed out that turn signals would be almost impossible
to see on aircraft in flight, there have been times when I wished for turn
signals on airplanes when taxiing. Brake lights, too.

Old March 21st 04, 03:17 AM
Teacherjh

there have been times when I wished for turn
signals on airplanes when taxiing. Brake lights, too.

Actually there was some talk of regular traffic lights at taxiway
intersections. I don't know what came of it but I never saw any.

Jose

Old March 22nd 04, 09:50 AM
Kees Mies

Hi All,

After reading all the posts about my suggestion for turning indicators
it is not such a good idea.
But a horn... I would really go for it.

Every body knows about these guys strolling on the taxiway with
absolutely no intension to get out of the way.
In a car you honk them or give them a mighty roar from your engine and
make your car jump forward a couple of inches in a threatening manner.
First of all, my O-200 is not capable of giving mighty roars and
threat somebody with a running meat grinder is just soooooo not
polite.

Another nuisance in aviation in which a horn would be handy is
refueling.
One is waiting in line for fuel and you see a guy refuel and walk away
to pay instead of pushing his plane aside for the next one.
Ok, I think, not very thoughtful but I can live with that.
The very same guy returns –and this happens all the time- start to
load luggage, explain to his passengers what an aircraft is, take
photographs or even stay away to have lunch and not return for hours.
This really wants you to grab your tow bar, jump out and work him over
a bit.
A horn would do as well.

Don't understand me wrong, I'm very forgiving, patient and above all
not aggressive by default but some people's sole existence seems to
irritate others.
I guess these are the same people who block aisles with their shopping
trolleys or swarm four or five wide when they are cycling on narrow
roads.

I go off shopping now, to the supermarket with its crowded parking
lot.
Hmmmm. I need fuel as well.
Better check if my car's horn is in good working order.

Bye Kees.

P.S. It's Monday morning now, it figures.
P.S.P.S. I don' t give up on humanity (yet)