Anti-Ice on Combat Aircraft

Old December 16th 03, 06:00 AM

Dave Holford wrote:

It's interesting when large chunks fly off a prop blade.

Dave

Hell yes, wasn't that a hoot, especially when you were near some
young inexperienced guy, you could get quite a reaction outta him
with a horrified facial expression.

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"
Old December 16th 03, 06:09 AM
Ron

It's interesting when large chunks fly off a prop blade.

Dave

Hell yes, wasn't that a hoot, especially when you were near some
young inexperienced guy, you could get quite a reaction outta him
with a horrified facial expression.

When I did cloud seeding flights, our Cessna 340s and Piper Cheyennes were
pretty beat up in that part of the fuselage, from ice being flung from the
props.

We were looking for super cooler water droplets, which of course were going to
freeze to the aircraft, since our target zone for temps was -5 to -10C.

However that was over land, around 20,000 ft, and not far from airports.

Doing it over the north Atlantic at night at low level in severe icing still
sounds like insanity

Ron
Pilot/Wildland Firefighter

Old December 16th 03, 10:36 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Gord Beaman wrote:

It's interesting when large chunks fly off a prop blade.

Hell yes, wasn't that a hoot, especially when you were near some
young inexperienced guy, you could get quite a reaction outta him
with a horrified facial expression.

The first time I ever heard that I was flying at 10,000 feet against a brutal 60
knot headwind trying to make my way to Cincinnati with a load of auto parts in
the middle of the night. Mountains below; no oxygen above. I hadn't slept in
24 hours. Naturally I was by myself. No autopilot.

Frequent worried looks out at the wing with my flashlight.... popping the boots
from time to time.... occasional squirts of alcohol on the windshield... BOOM!
The fuselage got machine gunned as the props deiced.

The size of my sphincter was in inverse proportion to the magnitude of the BOOM.
A lovely evening.

There's more to the story: I fell asleep on the way back to Charlotte at about
0430 flying with a partial panel (AI had failed shortly after takeoff) while
running on the aux tanks. I was woken rather rudely by the left engine
quitting, and then while I was fumbling with the boost pumps and changing tanks,
the right engine quit as well. I remember the feeling of satisfaction I had
noting how closely I had leaned the two engines that they would run dry within
30 seconds or so of one another. I promised God if he would let me live, I
would never fall asleep again while I was flying.

I lied. God got me for it, too. One of the damned brakes failed on landing. I
missed my turnoff and an USAir jet had to go around. I bet he liked that.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old December 17th 03, 12:36 AM
Scet

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Bob Liberty" wrote:

Think the 135 was similar

ole nav
"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
IIRC the A-4 had engine anti-ice and heated windscreen and pitot tube.

No
wing
anti-ice. Don't know about the B-52.

The B-52 uses bleed air to prevent ice build up on the inlets, inlet

guide
vanes, EPR inlet probes and, on the H model, the cowling. I'm not sure

if
you
can see anything visably though, most of it is internal.

BUFDRVR

The Argus (ASW aircraft slightly bigger than a C-130) was used in
severe icing conditions (low level over the North Atlantic) and
was well equipped with anti-icing and deicing equipment. They had
huge gas fired heaters (600 BTU each) one for each wing and one
for the tail, plus a 300 BTU one for cabin heating. They also had
numerous anti-ice mats for cowlings and other air-scoops plus
electrical prop deicers and 'Nesa windscreens'. I've flown
through some horrendous icing conditions believe me. The
replacement aircraft for the Argus (P-3 Aurora/Orion) has great
wing anti-icers utilizing engine bleed air, very effective
indeed.

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"

The engines on the P3 also Anti-ice "themselves". One switch per engine
opens two solenoid valves, one of which directs air to the air scoop, the
other causes a pressure imbalance in two valves fitted at the nine and three
o clock positions on the air inlet housing. These two valves anti-ice the
air inlet housing, IGV's CIP and CIT probes and the torque meter shroud. The
solenoids are energised closed so are fail safe. Two thermal switches wired
in series, are fitted to the air scoop and torque meter lines, they
illuminate an anti-ice light in the flight station within 60 -90 seconds of
selection when the temperature of the pipe reaches 93 Degs C. A TIT increase
of approxamately 22 Degs C and a SHP drop of Approx. 9% will also be noted.
The props are electrically de-iced with the first 22 " of the spinner
anti -iced. :-)

Scet

Old December 17th 03, 02:56 AM

"Scet" wrote:

[...]

Yes, very similar to the system on the Convair 580 that used to
be used in the RCAF. Almost identical engines and props used on
C-130/P-3's.

Incidentally, there was a good story in Canada's "Maritime Patrol
Aviation" magazine in the "Mission Impossible" section about this
USN P-3 which had been flown (with nr 1 loitered) for awhile in
cloud with the engine anti-ice off (against the advice of the
F/E). When the anti-ice was finally turned on ice shedding from
the intake killed nr 2 and in the excitement nr 1 was badly
overtemped on startup and during this kerfluffle nr 4 flamed out
from ice shedding. So in just a matter of seconds they were down
to one engine (nr 3) with a 4 engined a/c. They tried a restart
on nr 2 and got it going after awhile so they're now back to two
running. The shaken crew elected to land in that condition. It
was discovered that the nr 3 engine anti-ice valve had failed
sometime in the past and that's why it didn't quit. (failsafe as
you mentioned). WooHoo!...

Old December 17th 03, 04:53 AM
Charles Talleyrand

"WaltBJ" wrote in message om...
The only fighter I ever flew with surface anti-ice was the F86D/L. The
only time I ever heard of anybody in the outfit using it he got
serious damage to electrical circuitry inside the wing from a break in
the ducting.
FWIW if the indicated airspeed is around 300 knots the ram temp rise
is high enough to prevent icing. Most jets I know of do have engine
anti-ice and heated windscreens.

So does this mean that most fighter jets cannot be combat useful when
there are lots of wet cold clouds around. That must be a common condition
in some parts of the world.

Do the Russians have any more anti-ice than this? They might have
more need.

Old December 17th 03, 02:32 PM
M. J. Powell

"Bob Liberty" wrote:

Snip

The Argus (ASW aircraft slightly bigger than a C-130) was used in
severe icing conditions (low level over the North Atlantic) and
was well equipped with anti-icing and deicing equipment. They had
huge gas fired heaters (600 BTU each) one for each wing and one
for the tail, plus a 300 BTU one for cabin heating.

Are you sure about those figures? My Central Heating boiler is rated at
80,000 BTU.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell