They call it the impossible turn.

Old February 13th 10, 03:10 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default They call it the impossible turn.

Clark writes:

That response would have surprised my instructor on my first stage check when
he pulled power on me just after we had flown over an airport.

Losing power while overflying an airport isn't the same as losing power just
after takeoff.

Yes, I turned it around and landed it - didn't even bend anything either!

It's all about situational awareness, particular circumstances, and training.

The particular circumstances in which you can safely turn around after a total
power loss on takeoff are very rare, irrespective of situational awareness or
training.
Old February 13th 10, 07:57 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Feb 14, 3:07*am, Clark wrote:

That response would have surprised my instructor on my first stage check when
he pulled power on me just after we had flown over an airport. Yes, I turned
it around and landed it - didn't even bend anything either!

It's all about situational awareness, particular circumstances, and training.

I did a couple of hours in gliders as -every- landing is a forced
landing and it does wonders to your circuit planning.
For the engine failure on takeoff my main airfield was next to a golf
course one end and a park at the other.
The other had harbour at one end and Straits at the other.
The airstrip I used to fly into was a one way ag strip with a long
line of hills in front and no flat ground either port or starboard.
The prospect of an engine failure made me preplan as to what my
actions would be under which circumstances.
Then I got on with flying the aeroplane.
Old February 13th 10, 09:43 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Clark writes:

That response would have surprised my instructor on my first stage check
when
he pulled power on me just after we had flown over an airport.

Losing power while overflying an airport isn't the same as losing power
just
after takeoff.

Yes, I turned it around and landed it - didn't even bend anything either!

It's all about situational awareness, particular circumstances, and
training.

The particular circumstances in which you can safely turn around after a
total
power loss on takeoff are very rare, irrespective of situational awareness
or
training.

Not rare at all, they are very common--if you are proficient.

Old February 13th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Stl Mongo writes:

gotta call bull**** on this on MX... it doesn't even come close to
"simulates just about every rock and bush"

As I've said, it depends on what scenery you have installed.

That is truly the ultimate proof that you have never seen the real scenery;
but intuitively understand that your simulations would never be quite the
same if you ever experienced reality.

Old February 13th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Stl Mongo" wrote in message
On 2/12/2010 2:48 PM, terry wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:33 am, wrote:
terry writes:
Can you tell that an area in front of you is truly flat smooth and
safe from 500 feet altitude?

You can get a pretty good idea,

How good an idea? How well does MS Flight simulator simulate what
ground detail a pilot would see from 500 feet looking over the nose of
the aircraft? We know you have never flown an aircraft, but have you
ever even been a passenger in the front seat of an aircraft and
experienced the view from 500 feet? And how long do you think you
would have from 500 feet with no power to make a judgement of whether
that peice of seemingly flat smooth safe land is really that? and what
would you do when you get to 400 feet and suddenly discover there is a
power line slap bang across the approach path or a bunch of kids
playing chase? you have no idea.

I've been using MS Flight sim since version 4, and I can honestly
say that every time I have had to make an emergency landing during the
takeoff phase of flight the ground in front of me has been simulated to be
perfectly flat and smooth, and i am now able to discern this from
altitudes well over 500 feet, even close to 1600 meters, go figure.

By the way, i have flown a real ac, and from 500 ft, do you really think
you could turn around and land on the rw? Not likely.

The only times that I tried, the biggest problem was too much
altitude--different types of real aircraft are different.

Old February 13th 10, 10:21 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Morgans" wrote in message

"terry" wrote

you have no idea.

Of course he doesn't. But you know that, as does everyone responding to
his posts.

Why bother? He will not learn. He will not admit he is wrong. Anyone
reading this tread already knows he is an idiot, and will not try anything
or believe anything he has said.

Simply put, there is nothing left to be said.

Gang, let's end it with this dope, before more good people see what nut
cases are here, and never come back.
--
Jim in NC

You are right, of course, and I'll resist any further temptation!

Peter

Old February 13th 10, 11:55 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Peter Dohm writes:

Not rare at all, they are very common--if you are proficient.

Examples?
Old February 14th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Peter Dohm writes:

That is truly the ultimate proof that you have never seen the real scenery ...

For some locations, I have scenery that is essentially identical to the real
thing. Usually it's around airports, since highly detailed scenery for the
entire world would require a massive database (and would be very costly to
obtain, even if that amount of data were available). Most major airports are
available as highly-detailed add-on scenery.

... but intuitively understand that your simulations would never
be quite the same if you ever experienced reality.

I have experienced reality, since I've already been in a plane, like many
people. Given the compromises that the sim entails, I'm surprised that it
resembles reality so much. I can even fly by pilotage in the sim, with default
scenery.
Old February 14th 10, 12:22 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Am 14.02.10 00:55, schrieb Mxsmanic:
Peter Dohm writes:

Not rare at all, they are very common--if you are proficient.

Examples?

Does a 180° from 400 feet with an Antonov An-2 count?

http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/1826_e.pdf

In this case, there was unfortunately deep snow which caused a rollover
after the successful touchdown, but nobody was hurt, so I'd call the
manoevre successful.
Old February 14th 10, 01:43 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Smith writes:

Does a 180° from 400 feet with an Antonov An-2 count?

http://www.bfu.admin.ch/common/pdf/1826_e.pdf

In this case, there was unfortunately deep snow which caused a rollover
after the successful touchdown, but nobody was hurt, so I'd call the
manoevre successful.

Is this a common landing?