Can I bill my airplane travel expenses to a client?

Old August 2nd 03, 06:22 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:48:23 GMT, "Michael 182"
wrote:

I have a PPL, no commercial. I travel for my consulting busines, which I
own. Can I bill my client some reasonable rate for travel expenses when I
use my plane? I am not using the plane to generate income, it is tangential
to my business, which happens to be technology litigation consulting.

The followup question is, if I can't bill the expense, would I be able to if
I got the simplest level of a commercial license?

Since there seems to be a fair amount of misinformation, let me repeat my
response to another poster (and concur with Mike Rapoport's early
response):

======================
61.113 (b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in
command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:

(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment;
and
(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for
compensation or hire.
=====================

Flying yourself to a business meeting, or sales calls, where the business
is essentially unrelated to aviation, is specifically allowed as a
situation in which you can be compensated as a private pilot.

Old August 2nd 03, 06:28 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:03:24 -0400, G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Martin Hotze wrote:

hm. And if he goes for the commercial to have all the possible problems out
of the way (or because FAA demands a CPL for this situation), can he then
deduct the expenses for the training?

No. The education is not required for the job.

hm, my cell phone is not really a requirement for the job, but it helps
doing it - I can deduct it. So, reaching clients easier, quicker, .... also
helps - maybe this qualifies for deducting, too.

#m

--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/
Don't like your neighbor? - https://tips.fbi.gov/

Bombing for peace is like ****ing for virginity.
Old August 2nd 03, 06:53 PM
Mike Rapoport

Your cell phone is not education or training. You can deduct education and
training that relate to your current job but not for a new job. So training
for the instrument rating would be deductible for a pilot who uses an
airplane for business.travel. Training for a commercial certificate would
not be deductible since that is training for a different occupation. If
someone is a commercial pilot, then training for the ATP would be
deductible.

Mike
MU-2

Old August 2nd 03, 08:01 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Edward Todd wrote:
The followup question is, if I can't bill the expense, would I be able to if
I got the simplest level of a commercial license?

The commercial license would change the issues if you are flying
others,..

Not if its just the "simplest" commercial as he asked. Carrying others
ing:s country would also require an instrument rating.

Well, if you wish to get picky:
Depends upon how far from the departure airport they're traveling
and whether it's day or night. If it's day, and a short hop,
it's fine.

Cheers,
Sydney

Old August 2nd 03, 09:25 PM
Newps

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 16:27:28 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

The commercial license would change the issues if you are flying
others, but I don't think it's relevant if the question is you
traveling on business.

You better have commercial insurance on the plane too.

Old August 2nd 03, 09:28 PM
Newps

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Your cell phone is not education or training. You can deduct education and
training that relate to your current job but not for a new job. So training
for the instrument rating would be deductible for a pilot who uses an
airplane for business.travel.

I deducted all my training because I'm a controller. Wrote off my
handheld GPS too, although I just buried that in the "training" part.
What a country.

Old August 2nd 03, 11:49 PM
Tony Cox

"Fred Fillinger" wrote in message
...and then take the
standard IRS airplane mileage as a business deduction. Can't
find the link right now, but I believe it is presently $0.96/mile.

The IRS has never established optional mileage allowances for aircraft.
It is necessary to compute the actual costs for the portion allocable
to business use.

You are right. I just checked my link & it wasn't the IRS site.

However, the GSA *does* specify a reimbersement rate for
private aircraft. That rate is currently 95.5 cents per (statute) mile.
This applies to use of private vehicles on government business.
Their reimbursement rate for autos is exactly what the IRS allows
as a deduction, so it would seem to be quite a reasonable deduction
to take. Here's the link (sorry about the wrap) :--

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/content/po...entType =1006

I'll run it through my CPA when I next see her.

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old August 3rd 03, 12:16 AM
Pat Thronson

"61.113 (b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in
command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:"

I know this is a little off track on this thread but this brings up a
question that has been bugging me for 14 years now,

My accountant will not allow me to write off a plane to travel to the office
1,200 miles distance from my home, instead of a long 2 day drive. Although I
believe it is to get to work on a more "timely and rested manner" He does
give the mileage on my truck but wont budge on the plane. My company ( I am
8.5 % part owner) will not pay for the travel and especially the flight.
Does anybody know if I could write off the plane before actually making
money for the company or is he telling the truth??

Pat Thronson PP ASEL

Babb, MT

Old August 3rd 03, 12:26 AM
Peter Duniho

"Newps" wrote in message
I deducted all my training because I'm a controller. Wrote off my
handheld GPS too, although I just buried that in the "training" part.
What a country.

As long as you don't get audited, you can deduct whatever you like.

That doesn't mean it's legal though.

Pete

Old August 3rd 03, 12:35 AM
Tom S.

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but he's not asking for compensation for the flight, only if he can
bill for the direct/indirect costs for the flight.

For example: if he calculates his plane costs $175 per hour to operate with
all direct costs and reserves (maint, OH, avionics), can he bill that to the
client?

He's not billing the client for HIS compensation (unless his contract allows
him to bill at his normal hourly rate for travel time).