Using an iPad mini for soaring stuff

Old December 23rd 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Using an iPad mini for soaring stuff

I decided traveling with a tablet computer in a touring motorglider
would be easier than lugging around my 6+ pound Windows laptop, so I
took advantage of a good deal on an iPad mini. I thought it's wealth of
aviation apps, including soaring apps like iGlide, and others was a plus.

It's a lovely device, visible in sunlight, but I've discovered Apple has
built a rather wide moat around the castle that keeps out almost
anything that doesn't say "Apple" on it. It's very frustrating, because
these are things that are trivial with my Windows laptop:

- Getting my ClearNav IGC files off the SD card or USB stick and sending
them to the OLC, or to anyone else.

- Viewing flight files

- Downloading an update to ClearNav, PowerFlarm, etc and put it on the
SD/USB devices.

- Modifying my waypoint files (CUP format) and placing them on SC/USB

I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.

email me)

Old December 23rd 13, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dale Watkins

On Monday, December 23, 2013 11:54:33 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

But this Apple is virus free ! How do you like the Phoenix?

Dale "ZEN"

Old December 23rd 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dale Watkins wrote, On 12/23/2013 10:22 AM:
On Monday, December 23, 2013 11:54:33 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I'm hoping someone has easy answers for these operations, or I will have
to consider options other than the iPad, which could include a smaller,
lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.

But this Apple is virus free ! How do you like the Phoenix?

Dale "ZEN"

At this point, I'd take the virus risk to be able to do something!
Almost everything I'm accustomed to doing is harder, and it's because
Apple abhors any file sharing except pictures, and doesn't use the most
basic memory devices in the world - SD cards and USB sticks. I'm still
blown away by this. I've even contacted Naviter and ClearNav about
getting flights into the SeeYou iPad app, and neither had a solution.

Don't have the Phoenix yet, but it's supposed to ship Dec 31, and arrive
in FL a couple weeks later. Jim Lee (the dealer) will have the glass
panel and soaring instruments installed, then register and test fly it,
so it's completely ready to fly away when I arrive. I will take the
included flight and maintenance training from him before heading West;
realistically, it will likely be mid-February before I'm on my way home
to Washington State.

email me)
Old December 23rd 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

The good news is that a slightly used iPad mini should be fairly easy to sell on eBay without taking too much of a bath.

But seriously, I also find all things Apple incredibly frustrating if you want to do anything at all outside the "norm" as defined by Steve Jobs (RIP). So, how about a Nexus 7? While Google Play doesn't yet have the same number of aviation apps, it's only a matter of time (what with Samsung and other big brands behind the platform). The Nexus supports micro USB, so you'd need an adapter cable to interface your USB stick between the ClearNav and the Nexus.

http://www.gizmag.com/tablet-comparison-2013/29708/

P3

Old December 23rd 13, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 23, 2013 2:08:50 PM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Pappi is right, I love my Nexus 7, fantastic screen, fast and light. Would look good on that Phoenix panel, actually.
Old December 24th 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_13_]

Surely the solution is for Soaring companies to write apps for the
IPad. Foreflight is an example of what is possible on the iPad. The
controlled universe of Apple is very attractive, compared to the
chaos of Microsoft.

wrote:
The good news is that a slightly used iPad mini should be fairly

easy to
=
sell on eBay without taking too much of a bath. =20
=20
=20
=20
[...]

Greenwell wrote:
=20
I decided traveling with a tablet computer in a touring

motorglider=20
=20
=20

=20
would be easier than lugging around my 6+ pound Windows

laptop, so I=20
=20
=20

=20
took advantage of a good deal on an iPad mini. I thought it's

wealth
of=
=20
=20
=20

=20
aviation apps, including soaring apps like iGlide, and others

was a
plu=
s.
=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
It's a lovely device, visible in sunlight, but I've discovered

Apple
ha=
s=20
=20
=20

=20
built a rather wide moat around the castle that keeps out

almost=20
=20
=20

=20
anything that doesn't say "Apple" on it. It's very frustrating,

because=
=20
=20
=20

=20
these are things that are trivial with my Windows laptop:

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
- Getting my ClearNav IGC files off the SD card or USB stick

and
sendin=
g=20
=20
=20

=20
[...]

e=20
=20
=20

=20
to consider options other than the iPad, which could include

smaller,=
=20
=20
=20

=20
lighter Windows laptop (or netbook) or Android tablet.

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
--=20

=20
=20

=20
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to

".us" to=20
=20
=20

=20

Old December 24th 13, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Andrew wrote, On 12/23/2013 7:23 PM:
Surely the solution is for Soaring companies to write apps for the
IPad. Foreflight is an example of what is possible on the iPad. The
controlled universe of Apple is very attractive, compared to the
chaos of Microsoft.

Pappi is right, I love my Nexus 7, fantastic screen, fast and light.
Would=
look good on that Phoenix panel, actually.

The iPad apps are great! That was one reason I decided to get an iPad;
that, and I knew it had decent visibility in a cockpit with a bubble
canopy.

The problem I ran into is three of the instruments in my new glider
depend on that "chaos" to be updated, waypoints added, and to retrieve
flight logs, engine logs, and diagnostics, using an SD card or USB
stick. I have not found a way to do that with the iPad, but any MS
Windows computer out there can do that right out of the box! Ditto for
some of the Android tablets.

There is nothing "attractive" about the situation to me. The iPad might
as well be a brick for my soaring purposes. It's a gorgeous device, but
it has a very deep moat around it that limits what it can do. I'm still
hopeful that someone knows how to do this, but it it can't be solved,
I'll have at least one iPad for sale.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old December 24th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dale Watkins

Actually I have a Nexus 7 - only down fall is cracking the screen - and love using XCSOAR paired to my Nano. For business I would prefer the ipad (should sell ok on the open market)but for soaring the Nexus 7 seven wins hands down.

Marry Christmas all and be safe.

Dale

Old December 24th 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dale Watkins wrote, On 12/24/2013 7:06 AM:
Actually I have a Nexus 7 - only down fall is cracking the screen -
and love using XCSOAR paired to my Nano. For business I would prefer
the ipad (should sell ok on the open market)but for soaring the Nexus
7 seven wins hands down.

A major use for me is using SD cards and USB sticks to support the
instruments in the glider. Do you use it to exchange files on SD cards
and USB sticks? Can you use it to send your IGC files to the OLC?

It sounds like it's plenty bright enough to use in the cockpit - any
issues there?

email me)
Old December 25th 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Staniforth

You can plug a USB card into a smart phone using a cable called OTG - for
On The Go.
Found on Amazon or E-Bay.
The IPad camera kit has a USB adapter.
Jim

iPad Mini Kneeboard? Anthony E Piloting 1 March 29th 13 01:37 PM
iPad 4? Duster Soaring 16 July 24th 12 10:55 PM
Any IPAD App designers out there? lanebush Soaring 1 September 19th 11 03:48 AM
Soaring Spot for iPhone/iPad Jelle Vandebeeck[_2_] Soaring 2 July 13th 11 05:06 PM
Region 1/ US Team Soaring mini-camp [email protected] Soaring 0 January 19th 08 07:17 PM