GA Life near Manhattan

Old August 11th 04, 10:59 PM
Gary Drescher

"V. M. Haas" wrote in message
The GA airports on the NJ side of
Manhattan don't have (as far as I know) public transportation to/from
them. NJ has a fairly large number of GA airports, each of which has
its charms. Linden (LDJ) and Teterboro (TEB) are closest to the city,
but you might have to get a cab to get out there.

TEB is accessible by bus (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0161.pdf).

--Gary

Old August 13th 04, 04:23 AM
RjL

Teterboro is a snap from upper manhattan - just cross the GW bridge (and
there is a bus as noted). Plenty of flying clubs and FBOs - but a very busy
towered airport with considerable jet traffic. Linden is a "working-class"
airport - untowered, lot of helicopter activity. Very few amenities,
however - and if you fly IFR - you could wait a LOOONG time getting cleared
since LDJ sits under the approach to RY 4L & 4R at Newark. Not especially
hard to get to by car from NYC (on Rt 1)- very easy from Staten Is. I did
most of my private training there & found it very convenient - but I work
across the street!. I finished up at Morristown (where I belong to a club
now). KMMU is a great airport; towered but not overly busy & a friendly
tower. If driving from NYC, not too bad by way of Lincoln Tunnel to Rt 78 to
Rt 24.

Good luck!

"V. M. Haas" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.piloting Marty Ross wrote:
: I'll be moving to Manhattan from Los Angeles (does it get any more

extreme?)
: next month.
:
: Any advice or relevant anecdotes out there to help me gather some leads
: about continuing my flying hobby from there? I've been renting (in

L.A.) -
: usually from the FBO where I did my training.
: I'm IFR rated with about 300hrs., and am pretty OK with the (busy) L.A.
: airspace and ATC. I haven't looked at a NY sectional yet.
:
: I've just started to look at airports near to where I will be (using

Airnav,
: FS2004 and other web tools), and I found "Linden" (LDJ) and "Essex"

(CDW).
: In fact, there appears to be a flying club that has a presence at both

of
: those.
:
: I guess my main concern is easy transportation to/from these (or any

other)
: airports I might use, as I will be giving up my car (I hear it's a

luxury
: *not* to have a car living in Manhattan), and to learn about possible
: desitations (nice places to go for a day or a weekend).
:
: Any leads, tips or general discussion of GA from people living in/around
: Manhattan would be great!
:
You'll find it's a pretty area to fly around in when you can find the
sky. Lots of overcast days. The GA airports on the NJ side of
Manhattan don't have (as far as I know) public transportation to/from
them. NJ has a fairly large number of GA airports, each of which has
its charms. Linden (LDJ) and Teterboro (TEB) are closest to the city,
but you might have to get a cab to get out there.

Good luck.
:
:
:

--
-- Mark

"640K Should be enough memory for anybody!" -- Bill Gates, 1981