Wrong pilot detained for TFR violation

Old August 5th 04, 06:47 PM
gatt

Default Wrong pilot detained for TFR violation

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

Actually, some people who have been detained and accused of belonging to

al
Qaeda, plotting various terrorist acts and even fighting on behalf of al
Qaeda and the Taliban are American citizens. This has raised enormous

legal
issues and you would have to be living in a cave somewhere not to know

about
it.

Very true, and a point worthy of consideration, but...seriously...they are
quite literally chasing the wrong people, as in this case. Here in
Portland, when The Hunted was being filmed, they actually scrambled a flight
of armed F-15s that screamed over downtown looking to intercept an
ultralight that flew out of Scappoose something like four hours
previous--over an hour beyond that particular aircraft's fuel endurance.

The day Al Queda has to resort to flying ultralights into things, we can
lower the alert level to Green 'cause they're clearly out of better ideas.
:

-c

Old August 8th 04, 08:55 AM
Tom S.

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , Eduardo Kaftanski
wrote:

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

still better than anywhere else.

Quite!!

It's going to be interesting when the **** _really_ hits the fan in the next
few years. Think people are whining now? Ya ain't seen nuthin' yet

Old August 8th 04, 08:56 AM
Tom S.

wrote:

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

You must have a _relatively_ short memory. :~)

Old August 8th 04, 03:55 PM
Newps

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

Is that because as you get older you get more blind and deaf?

Nope, it's because my lifestyle gets better and better.

Old August 8th 04, 03:56 PM
Newps

wrote:

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

You must have a _relatively_ short memory. :~)

About what? No politician, as idiotic as they may or may not be, is
going to ruin my life. If they do yours then you need to get a life.

Old August 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Tom S.

"Newps" wrote in message

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

Is that because as you get older you get more blind and deaf?

Nope, it's because my lifestyle gets better and better.

Bad move to equate "technical convenience" with "liberty".

Old August 9th 04, 12:06 PM
Paul Sengupta

wrote:

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

You must have a _relatively_ short memory. :~)

The older I get, the better I was.

(as quoted from a T-shirt)

Paul

Old August 9th 04, 12:15 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'm here to tell
you that -- outside of those few areas -- NOTHING has changed.

Read that again: NOTHING has changed. Life continues precisely as
before -- no restrictions, no security checks, no inconveniences of any
kind.

Well I did get told to step out of my taxi by the TSA because I'd taken
a photo of the sign which said "Cedar Rapids Airport". I showed them
the photo I'd taken (digital camera) and they let me go on my way.

Oh, and when leaving, I had to take my shoes off and stick them through
the x-ray machine! :-)

Paul

Old August 9th 04, 01:36 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:muBRc.272019$XM6.94557@attbi_s53...

Closing Reagan National to G.A. traffic IS a travesty that must (and will)
be corrected -- but it's hardly an issue that AFFECTS the pilot community in
a huge way. And to say that it equates to the statement that our lifestyle
"sucks" is just silly.

I'm not talking about DCA...come to within 30 miles of Washington or Baltimore
and ask your question again. Just because things are peachy in Iowa, doesn't mean
those who live, work, and fly in the NE are unaffected.

Old August 9th 04, 01:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Well I did get told to step out of my taxi by the TSA because I'd taken
a photo of the sign which said "Cedar Rapids Airport". I showed them
the photo I'd taken (digital camera) and they let me go on my way.

Oh, and when leaving, I had to take my shoes off and stick them through
the x-ray machine! :-)

I was talking about the impact on Americans, Paul. I think it goes without
saying that foreign nationals have come under much greater scrutiny since
9/11. This shouldn't come as any surprise, since they came under virtually
NO scrutiny prior to 9/11.

Actually, if TSA DIDN'T question you, I'd be wondering what those extra 20
bodies in Cedar Rapids were doing all day... (Playing cribbage mostly, I
suspect.)

And commercial flying is the one area where the general public has been
genuinely impacted -- and rightfully so. It's become way less convenient
to fly the airlines, which is yet another reason to fly your own plane,
IMHO.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck