Wrong pilot detained for TFR violation

Old August 10th 04, 01:35 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 08:55:34 -0600, Newps wrote:

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message

Terrorists won this battle. American lifestyle now sucks.

Maybe yours does, mine gets better every year.

Is that because as you get older you get more blind and deaf?

Nope, it's because my lifestyle gets better and better.

Wellll... Let's see. I do have more money now than I had 45 years
ago. *Maybe* more spendable even being retired.

But:

45 years ago I didn't have any concern about government regulations
altering my life style, or at least very few.

I didn't have politicians screwing with my retirement.

American products were considered high quality, planned obsolescence
not withstanding.

Most of the world considered us the good guys.
My folks taught me to judge people on what they did, not who they were
or what they looked like and to always give the benefit of the doubt
even if it cost me a bit.

I didn't have any concerns about regulations limiting where I could
go. I could walk out to transient parking at Detroit Metro without an
escort. I just opened a door and walked out. Now I need an escort to
get back to my own plane at class C and D airports.

I didn't have to worry about someone trying to take my guns away and I
could purchase *almost* anything I could afford. I could even
purchase a fully functional Thompson, although the license was too
steep for me. "Guns & Ammo" even had an article where they purchased
a 20mm cannon, converted it to a bolt action and went "plinking" with
HE ammo.

I didn't have to be concerned about Broad Band over Power lines (BPL)
trashing the frequencies on which I operate my ham station.
Admittedly my Receiver weighed 75#, My transmitter 95# and the power
amp was 113# while today I have a 100 Watt transceiver that has a
spectrum display built in and it only weighs about 15# and there are
units small enough to backpack.

I didn't have to worry about dependence on foreign oil even if the
three carbs on my Pontiac sounded like they were trying to suck the
hood through them, or driving a Chevy convertible with dual 4s where
the speedometer and gas gage raced to see which got to the peg first.
Actually the Pontiac got around 18 MPG if you didn't open the front
and back carbs. OTOH my cousin's Chevy convertible (the one above) got
about 8 MPH on a good day... a very good day, going down hill with a
very strong tail wind.

I smoked two packs a day, didn't know they were bad for me, and felt
great. I could eat a stack of pancakes coated with real butter and
*soaked* in real maple syrup ( I used the pancakes to hold the butter
and syrup together) , 4 eggs, 4 slices of toast, and two cups of
coffee for breakfast, eat a big lunch, and have a dinner/supper big
enough to sink a small boat and never put on a pound. I had good
blood pressure and didn't know what cholesterol was. Now I exercise,
eat right, live a healthy life style, and I have to watch my
cholesterol and blood pressure.

When I was 16 I could walk into the hardware store to purchase a case
of dynamite, caps, and fuse (and did quite often). I did the
dynamiting for the neighboring farmers. Can you imagine a 16 year old
kid pulling up on a Hog, filling the saddle bags with dynamite and
taking off today?

I had a full driver's license at age 14, not a farm permit. I had my
own car at 16 even if it was 12 years old. Of course a car with
50,000 to 60,000 miles was pretty well "run out" back then.

Dawn Patrols and "The Flying Farmers" fly-ins would cover the airports
with small planes. Now a good fly-in breakfast is a 100 to 200
airplanes. Actually 200 is a rarity around here.

They were building *more* airports.

At just under $3 per hour I made more than almost any of the guys I
went to high school with.

I had a full head of bright red hair. Now I have a fringe around the
edges and have more hair growing out of my ears than on my head.

Back then I had 20/10 vision in both eyes. Now I wear bi-focals.

Now days a cheap, economy car will cost about twice what my first home
cost and it was a nice home. (I'm not counting the divorce - I came
out ahead)

My second marriage has lasted far longer than the first (20 years next
month) Course the first one seemed a lot longer and this one has
seemed like only a few years. As the old saying goes; Time goes faster
when you're having fun:-))

So, yes, in some ways my lifestyle gets better and better. I'm lazy,
retired, and don't have to work, But in many areas I have far more
restrictions, and have lost precious freedoms. Many countries and
groups are jealous of the freedoms we still have, let alone what we
had and they work actively to reduce our freedoms to their levels
under many guises.

Yes, there are many things I can no longer do and it's not due to my
age, but there is one thing they can never take away. As he was
leaving this world my dad told me he was proud of me.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 10th 04, 05:05 AM
Tom S.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
How about the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, which
costs how many millions of our taxdollars?

A stupid waste of taxpayers money, almost on the same level as President
Johnson's "Great Society" experiment. But, hey, we're getting a Rain
Forest built in Iowa City, at the federal gubmint's expense, too.

Which one is dumber?

Both are dumb, but the first of the three is related to what they are
constitutionally charged with doing.

Old August 10th 04, 05:16 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

The government has intertwined itself into so many parts of our lives,
thanks to the liberal agenda for the past 40 years -- that we will never
regain the freedoms we once enjoyed.

Perhaps you would enjoy rule by the Taliban instead. Would that be
conservative enough for you?

Are you so fooled by the "conservative" groups to believe they don't want to
get into our lives at least as much as the "liberal" ones?

Can you not see that the titles are there to fool us, that it is the power
itself that corrupts?

Old August 10th 04, 08:31 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:35:34 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:16:34 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
m6XRc.276981$Oq2.266297@attbi_s52::

I now check with Flight Service
for TFRs -- but I always called them for a flight briefing before each
flight anyway.

Well, almost always:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...faabc6e&rnum=1

Shucks, that don't always do it either.
I had a flight brienfing, (CAVU) with flight following. It was a
beautiful clear day. I hit turbulence so strong south of Toledo the
Deb stalled in level flight at Va.

It only existed for maybe 5 to 10 miles and then it was smooth again.

Old August 10th 04, 08:38 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:22:20 GMT, "Peter Gottlieb"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Personally, I had no clue why anyone chose to work or live in New York
before 9/11.

A lot of people live in big cities and a lot of them wouldn't live anywhere
else. If you really cannot understand why they feel that way then you will
not understand their attitudes about gun laws and other social issues
(independently of who is more "right" or "wrong").

You are right.

I can understand why some one would want to live in a city, but I've
nver been able to follow their attitudes about social issues and gun
laws. To me their reasoning defies stastics and logic.

OTOH I've never been able to understand how society can ignore nearly
50,000 deaths a year on the highway.

Old August 10th 04, 09:03 AM
Peter Duniho

Way off topic at this point, but it's late and I can't resist...

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
[...]
OTOH I've never been able to understand how society can ignore nearly
50,000 deaths a year on the highway.

The same way society ignores the enormous financial cost from automobile
accidents (fatal and non-fatal). We could spend a much smaller amount of
money on better driving training and enforcement, but Americans would rather
just go around sending their cars to body shops or buying new ones, spending
money on medical insurance, and waiting for their turn at the courtroom
lottery.

The same thing is true for many other areas of American life. People would
rather waste great huge gobs of money than to start paying better attention
and start taking responsibility for their own actions.

The Wars on Drugs and Terrorism are similarly examples of wastes of money;
they remind me of dilatant fluids, in that the more force one applies, the
less one gets done. We'd be much better off with less expensive, more
subtle approaches.

Even when the economy is going well, but especially when it's in the
doldrums, I am disgusted by the amount of economic waste this country
tolerates and even encourages.

Of course, some might argue that the economy actually *benefits* from all
this waste, by creating "churn". I'm no economist, so I won't try to argue
for or against that point. I do think it's trivially obvious that it's
better in the long run to conserve money.

Anyway, whatever point I had, I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I agree
it's ridiculous how we ignore the deaths on the highway, but there's a
fundamental problem with the average person's thinking (if you can call it
that) that will always prevent us from fixing that, along with a number of
other problems.

One of the costs of having a truly equal society is that even the dumb
people get to vote. And there are a lot more dumb people than smart people.

Pete

Old August 10th 04, 11:06 AM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:31:08 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote in
::

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:16:34 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
m6XRc.276981$Oq2.266297@attbi_s52::

I now check with Flight Service
for TFRs -- but I always called them for a flight briefing before each
flight anyway.

Well, almost always:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...faabc6e&rnum=1

Shucks, that don't always do it either.
I had a flight brienfing, (CAVU) with flight following. It was a
beautiful clear day. I hit turbulence so strong south of Toledo the
Deb stalled in level flight at Va.

It only existed for maybe 5 to 10 miles and then it was smooth again.

As Mr. Honeck stated:

"Turns out that they [Cedar Rapids Approach Control] are getting
PIREPs from pilots all over, reporting moderate to severe
turbulence up to 6000 feet, and beyond."

It's pretty clear, that had Mr. Honeck availed himself of all the
available information as mandated by regulation, he would have been
issued a PIREP for turbulence. And his absolute statement in this
thread concerning obtaining a FSS flight briefing before departing
conflicts what he wrote in that message thread.

Old August 10th 04, 11:52 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
But, hey, we're getting a Rain
Forest built in Iowa City, at the federal gubmint's expense, too.

I was thinking of this the other day. I was listenning to the local radio
here in Newbury (Kick FM 105.6) and an advert came on for a
rain forest....

http://www.livingrainforest.org/

I never knew this existed!

Paul

Old August 10th 04, 01:53 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jens Krueger" wrote in message ..

Closure of the, what, 10 airports in the DC ADIZ? The Seattle TFRs? How
about the TSA and all that comes with that?

No airports have closed. DCA is effectively closed to GA. VKX, CGS, and
W32 are only open after stringent scrutiny of the pilots and closed to transients
(although businesses at these fields are failing or moving). The only official closure
of ain ADIZ airport was 1W2 which has been scheduled for demolition for several
years now. There are 49 active airports in the ADIZ (of which 23 are public use).

Getting in or out of these requires extensive delays for no reason.