GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

Old November 4th 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GLIDING INTERNATIONAL -- RESEARCH

The good old days, when you didn’t have to worry about a motor starting and there was NO chance of dying in a fiery crash, unless you hit a fuel truck.
Old November 4th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric 6 i know of personally in the last 2 years
Old November 4th 19, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have to disagree branko, saying accidents are complex is the usual dodge we have been using for yeats. Just like stall/spin, weve been discussing this for decades ad nausium. Simple, fly the Fin aircraft properly and as someone here stated always fly in such a way as to give yourself options.

Psychological factors ALWAYS come into play but when its all boiled down you end up with crappy airmanship and, improper decisions irreguardless of what precipitated them be it cockiness or fear or inexperience.
Old November 4th 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 11:01:36 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have to disagree branko, saying accidents are complex is the usual dodge we have been using for yeats. Just like stall/spin, weve been discussing this for decades ad nausium. Simple, fly the Fin aircraft properly and as someone here stated always fly in such a way as to give yourself options.

Psychological factors ALWAYS come into play but when its all boiled down you end up with crappy airmanship and, improper decisions irreguardless of what precipitated them be it cockiness or fear or inexperience.

If we don't analyze the psychological factors that precipitate bad decisions and if we don't learn how to recognize them and remedy them, we won't make much progress in avoiding future bad decisions.

Branko XYU
Old November 4th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I agree its not an eigher-or but needs to be a both-and, however I feel the fundamental problem doesnot lie in the psychological factors. Those are gonna be with us forever. The problem lies in diminished airmanship skills. There is an overdependance of technology (aux motors, high L/D) at the expense of actually knowing how to properly handle your machine, the wx, the terrain. These more elemental factors are imop bigger determining perimeters in accident creation and accident avoidance.
Old November 4th 19, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

Those are all significant contributing factors, it would be hard to argue otherwise.

My original point was that we usually make up our minds about the main causes of accidents based on anecdotal evidence, personal experience and personal inclinations. A better, scientific, approach would be to look at the statistics based on reliable data, and analyzing the root causes.

What Gliding International published does not qualify as scientific approach, not by a long shot. Saying that "our problematic area of soaring flight relates to the landing phase" says nothing about what causes these types of accidents, nor how to avoid them, given that "the landing phase" itself is generally unavoidable.

Branko XYU
Old November 4th 19, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

LoL “landing phase generally unavoidable” very well said. Definitely agree, study of a more detailed approach definitely needed.