Air Force uniform prototype makes debut

Old February 15th 04, 04:32 AM
Otis Willie

Default Air Force uniform prototype makes debut

Air Force uniform prototype makes debut

(EXCERPT) , By Lisa Burgess, Stars and Stripes European edition,
Saturday, February 14, 2004

ARLINGTON, Va. — The Air Force is rolling out a snazzy prototype of a
new uniform at two stateside bases.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio and Langley Air Force Base in
Virginia got the new uniforms this week.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. John Jumper decided last year that
airmen need something “distinctive” to meet the needs of his service.

Testers at the remaining bases — Ramstein in Germany, Hurlburt Field
in Florida, Luke in Arizona, Elemendorf in Alaska, McChord in
Washington, Robbins in Georgia, and Vandenburg in California — will
get their uniforms in the next several weeks, Air Force spokeswo...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 14 Feb 2004, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=20441

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old February 16th 04, 02:42 PM
Bill and Susan Maddux

every time the air force changes its uniforms it costs the poor airman a lot
of cash. but if the airman wants to advance through airman of the month or
below the zone boards he is going to need the newest uniforms. Hell we just
went through a new uniform in the mid 90's, what more can they change.

Old February 16th 04, 03:00 PM
BUFDRVR

every time the air force changes its uniforms it costs the poor airman a lot
of cash.

Bill, NCO and enlisted get uniform allowances no? Does it not cover all your
uniform needs (pays for 2 BDU when you need 3)?

but if the airman wants to advance through airman of the month or
below the zone boards he is going to need the newest uniforms. Hell we just
went through a new uniform in the
mid 90's, what more can they change.

Blame it on the Marines. The USMC wanted a unique Marine uniform, within months
so did the USAF. The Army will get their unique uniform cheaply as both the
USAF and USMC pay for new ones and leave the Army as sole wearer of the current
BDUs. I believe the USAF should have a 10 year moratorium on any changes to the
current uniform. I've been on active duty for 12 years and I'm wearing (in one
combination or another) my fourth service dress!

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 16th 04, 03:41 PM
Tex Houston

"Bill and Susan Maddux" wrote in message
. ..
every time the air force changes its uniforms it costs the poor airman a

lot
of cash. but if the airman wants to advance through airman of the month or
below the zone boards he is going to need the newest uniforms. Hell we

just
went through a new uniform in the mid 90's, what more can they change.
"Otis Willie" wrote in message
Air Force uniform prototype makes debut

You're quoting "Otis Willie"? He has little credibility in military
circles. Most of us have his many names blocked. Con city, USA.

Tex Houston

Old February 16th 04, 05:12 PM
Marc Reeve

Tex Houston wrote:

"Bill and Susan Maddux" wrote in message
. ..
every time the air force changes its uniforms it costs the poor airman a
lot of cash. but if the airman wants to advance through airman of the
month or below the zone boards he is going to need the newest uniforms.
Hell we just went through a new uniform in the mid 90's, what more can
they change.

"Otis Willie" wrote in message
Air Force uniform prototype makes debut

You're quoting "Otis Willie"? He has little credibility in military
circles. Most of us have his many names blocked. Con city, USA.

How about the Dayton Daily News, then?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/local.../daily/0212uni
forms.html

Then there's straight from the horse's mouth, the Air Force website
(complete with photos):
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123005370

I think we discussed this to death back in August when it was first
announced, anyway.

-Marc

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old February 16th 04, 07:56 PM
Bill and Susan Maddux

are you referring to me, cause I don't know this ottis guy. I have been off
the newsgroup for some time. I spent 12 years in the air force, and during
that Time We had a few uniform changes, and yes enlisted did gets a uniform
allowance, but it does not cover all that is need to pay for the uniforms,
heck when the BDUs came out it wouldn't even cover one full set of BDUs
with stripes and patches, name tags. And when the new Blues hit the market,
the allowance wasn't even a drop in the bucket towards the cost. Maybe that
has changed, but I doubt it.
"Bill Maddog Maddux

Old February 19th 04, 10:33 PM
BUFDRVR

I've been on active duty for 12 years and I'm wearing (in one
combination or another) my fourth service dress!

Yeah, that's what we always heard too, about bomber pilots, and navigators.

Jack

You were asking for that one Buf!...

OK, I'm going to admit, I don't get it!! I always appreciate humor, someone
clue me in .......

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 19th 04, 10:52 PM
Tex Houston

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
I've been on active duty for 12 years and I'm wearing (in one
combination or another) my fourth service dress!

Yeah, that's what we always heard too, about bomber pilots, and

navigators.

Jack

You were asking for that one Buf!...

OK, I'm going to admit, I don't get it!! I always appreciate humor,

someone
clue me in .......

BUFDRVR

One word...dress. I was funny but not when it has to be explained.

Tex