Chicago: Any consequences of closing Meigs?

Old March 5th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Chicago: Any consequences of closing Meigs?

On 5 Mar 2007 07:58:03 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in .com:

Music from downtown festivals in Grant Park is far more
intrusive, and sometimes runs for hours on end.

Typically, what time of day/night does this noise exist?

Old March 5th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:50:13 -0600, "Neil Gould"
wrote in
:

When I was in California, the Division of Aeronautics conducted (at
the prodding of CA Pilots' Assn.) economic surveys of GA airports to
determine economic benefits. At that time (1980s) the average benefit
was around $100K per based airplane! Some airports (Palm Springs, for
instance) were much higher, while some very small airports were less.

That's very interesting. I'd like to know the basis for those figures. Do
you know whether this study is available anywhere?

Perhaps an inquiry here might be fruitful:
http://www.calpilots.org/html/
http://www.calpilots.org/html/contact.php
CPA, P.O. Box 6868, San Carlos, CA 94070-6868
Phone: 1-800-319-5286

Old March 6th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Two airports in our area are under "attack" by groups that would rather
not have air traffic in their new developments built beside the existing
airport or the airport taking up space in the downtown lakefront area.
While I can see many reasons why this is short-term thinking that would
not serve the best interests of the region, I realize that as a GA pilot,
I am biased. A similar situation existed in Chicago at the time Meigs was
closed that might shed some light on the reality of our situation.

Where did the GA planes relocate, and has this had any impact on the
owners' access to or use of their planes?

Has there been any impact on the business travel to Chicago?

Is all of the traffic handled adequately by O'Hare and Midway?

Is there any record of positive or negative economic impact?

Well, it is possible that some economic impact could be arranged...

I just heard that Chicago is one to the cities campaigning for the 2016
Olympic Games; and although I have not previously taken much interest in the
Olympics, I am willing to make an affordable contribution to the U.S.O.C.
provided that Chicago is *NOT* selected!

How about the rest of you?

Peer

Old March 6th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Mar 5, 5:10 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 07:58:03 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in .com:

Music from downtown festivals in Grant Park is far more
intrusive, and sometimes runs for hours on end.

Typically, what time of day/night does this noise exist?

Festival noise usually starts about noon, runs to 10PM.

Motorcycles run all night. Somebody got arrested a couple of years
ago doing 160 on a Kawasaki.

Old March 6th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote

I just heard that Chicago is one to the cities campaigning for the 2016
Olympic Games; and although I have not previously taken much interest in
the
Olympics, I am willing to make an affordable contribution to the U.S.O.C.
provided that Chicago is *NOT* selected!

How about the rest of you?

Although I applaud your patriotism, and am in agreement of your dislike for
Chicago's mayor, what do you think that will do, (even if a lot of people go
along with your line of thought and make a contingent contribution) with the
best possible outcome?

Meigs will never be rebuilt, even when the current political machine is long
gone, don't you think? That is the way I see it, anyway.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 6th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

[...]

The original post only adressed the issue of consequences, and I believe
that any possibility of a major city losing an event of Olympic proportions
might have an effect on decisions in other cities.

I am not a Chicago native, nor a frequent visitor, and only visited Meigs on
one occasion many years ago. However, I always tended to thing of it in
terns of transient corporate aviation--rather than any basing of light
aircraft--and corporate aviation appears to be for more sensitive to
convenience and timeliness than to price. Therefore, since the closure had
must have inconvenienced a lot of "high rollers", and must continue to do
so, almost anything could gain some momentum.

In any case, I will be satisfied whether other municipalities view local
airports as assets or view airport closures as liabilities. Anything more
would be an unexpected, but most welcome, bonus.

Peter

Old March 6th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 5 Mar 2007 17:10:28 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in . com:

On Mar 5, 5:10 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 07:58:03 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in .com:

Music from downtown festivals in Grant Park is far more
intrusive, and sometimes runs for hours on end.

Typically, what time of day/night does this noise exist?

Festival noise usually starts about noon, runs to 10PM.

Motorcycles run all night.

Does that only occur the night an event is held?

Is there a lot of automobile noise otherwise?

Somebody got arrested a couple of years ago doing 160 on a Kawasaki.

How do you apprehend a Kawasaki at 160 mph? :-)

Is it easy to check if crime has increased since the Megs closure? Are
there spikes in police activity associated with events?

What is the event schedule like. I presume it is limited to the
warmer months of the year?

Old March 6th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:44:07 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote in :

Meigs will never be rebuilt, even when the current political machine is long
gone, don't you think? That is the way I see it, anyway.

You figure it would just cost to much to replicate Meigs? Is that the
rationale behind your vision?

Old March 6th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:44:07 -0500, Morgans wrote:

with the best possible outcome?

Given that the vandal was just reelected, perhaps a sandstorm that buries
the entire city so it never bothers us again would be a fair consequence.
On the other hand, that's probably how many outside the US feel about the
US after the 2004 federal election.

More seriously, years of financial hardship would be nice. It may not
bring back Meigs, but it could serve as a deterrent to other locales
tempted to vandalize federal infrastructure.

On the other hand, perhaps we'd best give Chicago the pain it deserves by
helping the Olympics to be there. This hasn't done too well for several
recent host cities. And as someone that lives near NYC, I'm quite glad to
see the Olympics *not* in NYC. One little political convention was enough
nonsense; we don't need the hassles the Olympics would bring.

And I can always just avoid the place. I'd feel sorrow for NYC-dwellers
should they have to suffer this. Chicago though, gets no sympathy,

- Andrew