Chicago: Any consequences of closing Meigs?

Old March 6th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

Default Chicago: Any consequences of closing Meigs?

On Mar 5, 9:02 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 17:10:28 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in . com:

On Mar 5, 5:10 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 07:58:03 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in .com:

Music from downtown festivals in Grant Park is far more
intrusive, and sometimes runs for hours on end.

Typically, what time of day/night does this noise exist?

Festival noise usually starts about noon, runs to 10PM.

Motorcycles run all night.

Does that only occur the night an event is held?

Is there a lot of automobile noise otherwise?

Somebody got arrested a couple of years ago doing 160 on a Kawasaki.

How do you apprehend a Kawasaki at 160 mph? :-)

Is it easy to check if crime has increased since the Megs closure? Are
there spikes in police activity associated with events?

What is the event schedule like. I presume it is limited to the
warmer months of the year?

With regard to the Kawasaki, the police did not try to apprehend him
while he was doing 160. They waited for him to reach the end of
LakeShore Drive where there is a 90 degree turn and nailed him there.
He went to jail and they took away the bike. When he was interviewed
he said the rush was worth it! He did it at around 2am and the police
tried to block off entrances to the drive to keep what little traffic
there was out of his way until they could nab him.

Old March 6th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Mar 5, 9:02 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 17:10:28 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in . com:

On Mar 5, 5:10 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 07:58:03 -0800, "Paul kgyy" wrote
in .com:

Music from downtown festivals in Grant Park is far more
intrusive, and sometimes runs for hours on end.

Typically, what time of day/night does this noise exist?

[The worst is during Taste of Chicago, runs noon to 10 PM 7 days a
week for 2 weeks early July.

Festival noise usually starts about noon, runs to 10PM.

Motorcycles run all night.

Does that only occur the night an event is held? [yes, but there can be multiple events at the same time, with overlapping sound]

Is there a lot of automobile noise otherwise?

[Auto noise isn't a problem since trucks are banned from Lake Shore
Drive]

Somebody got arrested a couple of years ago doing 160 on a Kawasaki.

How do you apprehend a Kawasaki at 160 mph? :-) [see below]

Old March 7th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Did anyone see the Chicago bid for the Olympics? Poor old Miegs island turned in to some sort of venue. Damn shame...

Old March 7th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

On the other hand, perhaps we'd best give Chicago the pain it deserves by
helping the Olympics to be there.

Put the Olympics there, and close O'Hare.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old March 7th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jose wrote:

On the other hand, perhaps we'd best give Chicago the pain it deserves by
helping the Olympics to be there.

Put the Olympics there, and close O'Hare.

Jose

I heard that there are rumors that Chicago is thinking of reopening
Meigs, because the high rollers in business have noticed the (negative)
difference since the vandalism.
Old March 7th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I heard that there are rumors that Chicago is thinking of reopening
Meigs, because the high rollers in business have noticed the (negative)
difference since the vandalism.

Chicago should pay landing fees for all aircraft that land at the new
Meigs, and fuel them up for free, as compensation for the vandalism.
See, punative damages can come in handy.

Jose
Old March 8th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news : In article ,
: Jose wrote:
:
: On the other hand, perhaps we'd best give Chicago the pain it deserves by
: helping the Olympics to be there.
:
: Put the Olympics there, and close O'Hare.
:
: Jose
:
: I heard that there are rumors that Chicago is thinking of reopening
: Meigs, because the high rollers in business have noticed the (negative)
: difference since the vandalism.

Nasty rumor, I'm sure. I saw a news story with an artist's rendering of what the shoreline would look like there at old
Meigs and Soldier field...

Old March 9th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 5, 9:44 am, "Neil Gould" wrote:
Hi all,

Two airports in our area are under "attack" by groups that would rather
not have air traffic in their new developments built beside the existing
airport or the airport taking up space in the downtown lakefront area.
While I can see many reasons why this is short-term thinking that would
not serve the best interests of the region, I realize that as a GA pilot,
I am biased. A similar situation existed in Chicago at the timeMeigswas
closed that might shed some light on the reality of our situation.

Where did the GA planes relocate, and has this had any impact on the
owners' access to or use of their planes?

Has there been any impact on the business travel to Chicago?

Is all of the traffic handled adequately by O'Hare and Midway?

Is there any record of positive or negative economic impact?

Neil

Few to zero planes to relocate because there weren't any
hangers...the country clubbers can use MDW...JG

Old March 9th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 5, 9:12 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Is there any record of positive or negative economic impact?

That's going to be tough to answer, Neil. While you can certainly
quantify the federal fines Chicago has absorbed due to Daley's
Midnight Raid, and you can add up the lost income from fuel sales and
landing fees, it's going to be nearly impossible toaccurately gauge
the financial cost of NOT having an airport there, as opposed to the
possible income from having a new park in its place.

It's like trying to quantify marketing efforts in business, by asking
"How many extra suites did we rent because of 'x' radio commercial?"
The answer will be subjective and opinionated hearsay.

If you surveyed folks in downtown Chicago, you might get all sorts of
folks saying "We came to the Chicago lakefront today because it's so
nice not to hear those noisy jets every five minutes" -- but you WON'T
hear from the folks who used to come to the lakefront specifically
because they liked to watch the planes. They're simply not there to
ask.

And you certainly won't get any answers from the folks who aren't
visiting Chicago because there is no long any easy airport access.

As a data point of one, however, I know for certain that we have *not*
spent thousands of dollars in Chicago sinceMeigsclosed, specifically
because there is no longer any easy access to downtown.

You have to ask if closingMeigsADDED anyone who, conversely, spent
those thousands, or more? I've heard they have concerts out on that
peninsula now -- can anyone verify that?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Boo Hoo...meanwhile BILLIONS $$$ in condos are going up because the
neighborhood is quieter and fewer potential
kamakazis are in the skys..check out an example of the new
development.

http://www.kennyconstruction.com/bui...T%20LoftII.htm

Old March 9th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

N0 -- just people bringing $billions to Chicago every year! Stupid
people like "jgrove" are so myopic that they don't realize that those
multi-million dollar jets are there for a purpose -- to do business.

Meanwhile, he and his buddies go to the new park and smoke dope at the
rock concerts.