what exactly constitutes a troll?

Old September 29th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

Default what exactly constitutes a troll?

Dang it... I grew up in Michigan (Monroe) and still got it wrong!!

Roger (K8RI) wrote:

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:50:24 GMT, Jon Kraus
wrote:

as opposed to an uppie?

Ahhh I was going to say "That Yuper...Yuper pronounced you..per" but
Steve beat me to it.:-))

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

A native of lower Michigan.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old September 29th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Jon Kraus wrote:
as opposed to an uppie?

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

A native of lower Michigan.

I think that is a yooper, not an uppie. :-)

Yoopers are from upper Michigan, trolls from lower Michigan.

Old September 29th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

What leaves me rolling on the floor is how he keeps trolling (see topic
just below this one) and we keep taking the bait... So who is the
fisher and who is the sucker in this little melodrama?

denny

Old September 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
sorry for the naive question, but what is all this fuss
about Mxsmanic? may be am I missing something obvious,
I must confess that I haven't read all his posts, but I
am a bit surprised by the rather hostile reactions that
he received; I mean, ok, he doesn't fly 'for real',
and sometimes his questions are a tad naives, but hey,
as far as I am concerned if he is an aviation enthusiast,
or at least a wanna-be, I don't see why he should be
shuned. May be he cannot afford to fly, may be is he
too young, may be is he a dog -- this is internet
remember :-) -- or whatever, but we seem to be getting
along just fine with Skylune who advocates grounding
us all, so what am I missing?

--Sylvain

The problem with him is that he asks a seemingly good question then when he
is answered by someone knowledgeable in the subject he argues that the
answer is wrong based on either his experience with MSFS or just his on
preconceived notions. Add to that his experience with MSFS isn't even
complete because he hasn't even gone through the tutorials that come with
it.

This isn't the first newsgroup where he has plaid this game either. Google
him via Google Groups and you will see the same thing elsewhere.

Old September 29th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, T o d d P a t t i s t posted:

Sylvain wrote:

sorry for the naive question, but what is all this fuss
about Mxsmanic?

ok, will do.

I've read most of them and I don't think he's a troll. He
sees things from a different perspective than most pilots
here, he's often wrong, he's more certain that he's right
than he ought to be, but IMHO, he's not a troll.

I have "known" Mxsmanic from other newsgroups for a number of years, and
agree with your opinion that he is not a troll. He may employ a rather
obnoxious learning style -- challenging those who actually know the real
answers to his questions with his misconceptions -- but I do think he is
genuine and not simply trying to upset folks a la Skylune.

Neil

Old September 29th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_11_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Wikipedia has a rather interesting article on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

By their definition:

"""
In Internet terminology, a troll is often someone who comes into an
established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts
inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed
intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the
flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others
trolls. Often, trolls assume multiple aliases, or sock puppets.
"""

So how exactly does Mxsmaniac fit that description?

--
Mike
Old September 29th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_11_]

point... If not, then read again, but this time try reading for
comprehension...

So now your insulting anyone who doesn't take your view? Who says your
right?

--
Mike
Old September 29th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Denny wrote:
What leaves me rolling on the floor is how he keeps trolling (see topic
just below this one) and we keep taking the bait... So who is the
fisher and who is the sucker in this little melodrama?

Apparently there are many suckers in this newsgroup, as well as in
rec.aviation.students. Most of the regulars are finally catching on although
there is always the die-hard "don't tell me who to talk to" folks who keep
things alive for him.

It has been quite entertaining but isn't it time to get back to arguing about
whether night follows day or day precedes night per our usual routine?

Enquiring minds....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 29th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Denny wrote:
What leaves me rolling on the floor is how he keeps trolling (see topic
just below this one) and we keep taking the bait... So who is the
fisher and who is the sucker in this little melodrama?

Apparently there are many suckers in this newsgroup, as well as in
rec.aviation.students. Most of the regulars are finally catching on although
there is always the die-hard "don't tell me who to talk to" folks who keep
things alive for him.

It has been quite entertaining but isn't it time to get back to arguing about
whether night follows day or day precedes night per our usual routine?

Enquiring minds....

May be it is a troll, but it is aviation-related, and the comments
could be of some use to someone. There are plenty of non-aviation
topics posted by regulars that we tolerate in this group. Just look at
this thread. Apparently some joke about lower Michigan...

Old September 29th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

The problem with him is that he asks a seemingly good question then when
he
is answered by someone knowledgeable in the subject he argues that the
answer is wrong based on either his experience with MSFS or just his on
preconceived notions.

This is a fair comment - he is argumentative, but that label
can apply to many here :-) He does tend to argue based on
his understanding, which is often wrong and often based on
his flight sim experience, but the point is that he does it
because he believes in his position, not because he's trying
to be a troll and merely stir up argument. I suspect that
what most object to is his style of questioning, coupled
with some natural defensiveness of a sim pilot under attack
in a pilot forum.

But Todd, you did it with one issue. He has done it with just about every
single thread he has started. He has also done it on other non-aviation
newsgroups and sounds like, from an earlier post, he did it in the MSFS
newsgroup as well.

He has not once in the many threads admitted that he was wrong on a issue.
That shows me that he just likes to heat and stir the pot and watch the
bubbles which is a troll no matter how Wikipedia defines a troll.