Sub-Launched SAMs

Old September 21st 09, 06:47 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
dott.Piergiorgio

Default Sub-Launched SAMs

Paul J. Adam ha scritto:

A semi-active laser system might be more effective for this role: for
slow MPA and helicopters, something like Hellfire might be modified to
suit. However, slow at periscope depth with a mast up is where you
*don't* want to be against any sort of capable ASW opposition.

and ASW helos is a good indicator of that "capable ASW" opposition"

I guess that doing this stunt near an Italian Frigate in the Sicilian
Canal is a sure method for starting an eternal patrol....

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.
Old September 21st 09, 01:49 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
vaughn[_2_]

"BlackBeard" wrote in message

Can't quite put it away with the same enthusiasm/volume as I did in
the old days though.

I live in South Florida and would love to share a beer with any of the gang.
That said, I never was never one of the Navy's great drinkers. Back then I
suppose I was more of a chow hound than a drinker. While on the 599 boat I
made it all the way to 260 pounds! I weigh 100 # less than that today.

At midrats (when they put the fresh-baked bread out to cool) I remember my
favorite snack was a whole loaf of fresh, hot, bread with an entire stick of
butter stuffed inside. Today I shiver at the thought.

Vaughn

Old September 21st 09, 03:34 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Derek Lyons

BlackBeard wrote:

On Sep 19, 7:33*pm, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
BlackBeard wrote:
* Actually have met and drank with Max with his port and starboard
fish

If your work ever brings you up this way, we'll have to hit the local
brewpub... *(Ralph L, occasional poster here in SMN, also lives in the
vicinity.)

Can't quite put it away with the same enthusiasm/volume as I did in
the old days though.

The offer is reciprocated, but I can't remember what city you are
in.

Good ol' Bummertown, adjacent to the shipyard and the sub base.
(Though, for god know what pencil pusher/bean counter reasons, they
are branches of the same organization now.)

I think Orange County is about as close as I ever make it to you.

I'm glad I can't put it away like I used to- I'll live
longer.

Aye, seconded.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old September 21st 09, 07:37 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
BlackBeard

BlackBeard wrote:
[...]

Missed opportunity. I was there two yearss ago. Stayed at the
Silverdale beach hotel and visited my old corpsman. He's working at
the shipyard now as a retiree in Nuc Med.
OC is 2+ hrs. south of us.

BB