Cost to join SSA?

Old August 8th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gldrgidr

Default Cost to join SSA?

What's a full membership in the SSA cost?
I went on the SSA site and they won't tell you untill you have filled
out all the forms.
Is it so high that they are afraid to scare people off?

John
Old August 8th 11, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On 8/7/2011 7:36 PM, gldrgidr wrote:
What's a full membership in the SSA cost?
I went on the SSA site and they won't tell you untill you have filled
out all the forms.
Is it so high that they are afraid to scare people off?

John

Fair comment.

Check here (from Soaring magazine link)
http://www.ssa.org/Docs/MembershipApplication.pdf
Old August 8th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 8/7/2011 9:36 PM, gldrgidr wrote:
What's a full membership in the SSA cost?
I went on the SSA site and they won't tell you untill you have filled
out all the forms.
Is it so high that they are afraid to scare people off?

Probably! :-)

SSA charges about 50% more than AOPA, the later offering *many* more
services for the money. I understand economy of scale - 400,000 members
vs, what, 15,000? To me, it makes sense for SSA and AOPA to get married,
so to speak.

Tony Ls6-B "6N"
Old August 10th 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Aug 7, 8:58*pm, Tony V wrote:
On 8/7/2011 9:36 PM, gldrgidr wrote:

What's a full membership in the SSA cost?
I went on the SSA site and they won't tell you untill you have filled
out all the forms.
Is it so high that they are afraid to scare people off?

Probably! :-)

SSA charges about 50% more than AOPA, the later offering *many* more
services for the money. I understand economy of scale - 400,000 members
vs, what, 15,000? To me, it makes sense for SSA and AOPA to get married,
so to speak.

Tony Ls6-B "6N"

Having worked with AOPA writing about soaring, I think we would just
get lost in their 400,000 member organization. Cooperation with the
AOPA? Yes, by all means. Merger? No, I think we are much better off
with an independent SSA.

The answer is to expand the SSA's membership. If we could pick up as
few as 1% of AOPA's membership, the SSA would be able to significantly
expand it's services. BTW, check out the last few issues of Soaring
Magazine. IMHO It has become so much better, it alone is worth the
membership.

US soaring needs you. Join the SSA.

Bill Daniels
Old August 10th 11, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Aug 10, 8:31*am, Bill D wrote:
On Aug 7, 8:58*pm, Tony V wrote:

[...]

Our club mandates we join the SSA, it's no big deal for
me..................but what a great way to get members.

That being said, I have always had positive dealings with the SSA.

Brad
Old August 11th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Aug 10, 9:37*am, Brad wrote:
On Aug 10, 8:31*am, Bill D wrote:

On Aug 7, 8:58*pm, Tony V wrote:

[...]

We are a club and require all club members to also be SSA members.
We are a Charter SSA Club.
Our insurance is under the SSA Group policy, which requires SSA
Membership.
There are lots of reasons to join SSA. You may or may not be surprised
at the behind the scenes work done with AOPA, EAA and ore
organizations when dealing with the FAA on airspace and regulation
issues.
Old August 11th 11, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On Aug 7, 6:36*pm, gldrgidr wrote:
What's a full membership in the SSA cost?
I went on the SSA site and they won't tell you untill you have filled
out all the forms.
Is it so high that they are afraid to scare people off?

John

$64.00/year. Roughly one commercial tow, or maybe two tows at 'club'
rates. Twelve to fifteen gallons of 100LL. Half a tank of diesel for
my truck.
Not a lot.

Come join us! Fred[_5_] Soaring 0 February 20th 11 09:10 PM
Plz join and Share GKMenon Soaring 0 April 14th 09 01:13 PM
How much to join SSA? Scott[_7_] Soaring 3 October 1st 08 04:09 PM
A Preliminary Assessment of the Potential Cost and Cost-Effectiveness of Space-Based Weapons. Mike[_7_] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 03:18 PM
Why didn't GWB join the U.S. Air Force ??? Jack Military Aviation 7 July 17th 04 02:45 PM