PowerFlarm at Uvalde?

Old August 8th 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm at Uvalde?

I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of
PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

Old August 8th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On 8/8/2011 8:01 AM, Dave Hoppe wrote:
I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of
PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

David Leonard commented on his club's chat as a first time, first day
user "if you want to fly in company, you really want one of these. The
electronic eyes are quite useful."
Old August 8th 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 8/8/11 7:01 AM, Dave Hoppe wrote:
I find it odd that there's no posts regarding the first-time use of
PowerFlarm in a US contest. Surely they're all flying with them.

Frank Paynter mentioned PowerFLARM in his Uvalde Day 1 report at
http://soaringcafe.com/2011/08/uvalde-day-1/

Here is what he said

"And another big change here at Uvalde. For the very first time in
history, U.S. pilots are flying in a U.S. contest with FLARM! The FLARM
folks came through with a shipment of the ‘portable’ FLARM devices, and
they were hand-delivered to Uvalde by Lee Kulke. Pilots who were on the
FLARM order list for the ‘brick’ (remote display) unit were offered the
chance to get a portable unit instead (the ‘brick’ unit hasn’t made it
through FCC approval yet). So, about 40 of the 60 pilots here have
FLARM units now; I had ordered a ‘brick’ unit, but took delivery of a
portable unit for this contest. Today was my first day flying with one,
and I have already fallen in love with it. I was running with the 15m
crowd when I got an alert that another glider was close aboard on my
left side. I looked out and saw that John Cochrane (BB) had pulled up
next to me from behind. before FLARM, I might never have seen this
until too late, but with FLARM it’s a piece of cake. The indications
on the screen are very intuitive, and when it wants to let you know
about a possible collision threat, you have no doubt about its
intention. Also, it wasn’t anywhere near as obtrusive in gaggles as I
thought it might be – it only alarms when its calculations determine
there is a potential collision threat in the next few seconds. All in
all I’m very happy to have my FLARM unit, and hope it won’t be long
before they are in the hands of at least every competition pilot."

Those contest reports are great reading - keep them up Frank!

Darryl
Old August 8th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

Great to hear! Thanks for posting that.

Old August 8th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

Great to hear! Thanks for posting that.

Old August 8th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

Great to hear! Thanks for posting that.

Old August 8th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Hoppe[_2_]

At 17:08 08 August 2011, Dave Hoppe wrote:
Great to hear! Thanks for posting that.

I have no idea why my posts are duplicating. I'm only sending one.

Old August 9th 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 8/8/2011 10:33 AM, Dave Hoppe wrote:
At 17:08 08 August 2011, Dave Hoppe wrote:
Great to hear! Thanks for posting that.

I have no idea why my posts are duplicating. I'm only sending one.

Pretend you are using Google, and no one will blame you!

email me)

PowerFlarm at Uvalde? Dave Hoppe[_2_] Soaring 33 August 17th 11 03:13 PM
PowerFLARM at Uvalde Paul Remde Soaring 19 August 1st 11 05:52 AM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 04:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 09:32 AM
Build your own PowerFLARM! Darryl Ramm Soaring 51 August 19th 10 06:39 PM