Charley Noble???

Old March 25th 05, 05:17 PM
Gord Beaman

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

Gord Beaman wrote:

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Of course, one would suppose that there's several red faces
hereabouts eh wot?

Why, pray tell, Gord?

This is r.*aviation*.m.n.

a) I challenge you to name one sailing vessel which ever
operated aircraft [excepting, if needed, the possible usage of
tethered balloons in the War of Northern Aggression].

b) Pilots have never /really/ been expected to know anything
about ships but enough smarts and lingo to get them from their
stateroom to the wardroom to the ready room to the flight deck.
And vice-versa. Anything beyond that, a pilot puts himself
[herself] at gross hazard of assignment to a non-flying billet on
a bird farm. Which, unless one is bucking for CVN Captain, is a
fate worse than death.

What you say is quite true Ogden. I merely state my opinion which
was derived from the many many times that I observed these
practically motionless floating objects as we flitted yonder and
forth looking (as befitted our station in life) down on the poor
envious stationary souls.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old March 27th 05, 10:42 AM
John Keeney

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
Gord Beaman wrote:

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the

stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Of course, one would suppose that there's several red faces
hereabouts eh wot?

Why, pray tell, Gord?

This is r.*aviation*.m.n.

a) I challenge you to name one sailing vessel which ever
operated aircraft [excepting, if needed, the possible usage of
tethered balloons in the War of Northern Aggression].

While the Northerner's navy did use balloons for spotting
blockade runners, I believe they were operated from
barges. The barges were tended/protected/tolled by sailing
ships but the two kept that step apart.
All that rigging a sail requires kind of cuts down on the
open space a balloon requires to operate.

Old March 27th 05, 04:30 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
Gord Beaman wrote:

What are you? Landlubbers? Its a sailing ship! The wind goes from the stern
(the back end) to the bow (the front end)

Of course, one would suppose that there's several red faces
hereabouts eh wot?

Why, pray tell, Gord?

This is r.*aviation*.m.n.

a) I challenge you to name one sailing vessel which ever
operated aircraft [excepting, if needed, the possible usage of
tethered balloons in the War of Northern Aggression].

b) Pilots have never /really/ been expected to know anything
about ships but enough smarts and lingo to get them from their
stateroom to the wardroom to the ready room to the flight deck.
And vice-versa. Anything beyond that, a pilot puts himself
[herself] at gross hazard of assignment to a non-flying billet on
a bird farm. Which, unless one is bucking for CVN Captain, is a
fate worse than death.

Hear! hear!, they make shoes a different color for a reason!!