Bronze Star v. Combat Infantry Badge

Old July 26th 03, 12:35 PM
Brian

"Leadfoot" wrote in message
news:CCtUa.18035$u51.3113@fed1read05...
Being awarded a medal is often a case of being in the right place and

doing
what you were trained to do. "Snuffy" Smith come to mind. Does the guy

who
spends his whole military career preparing for war but never sees it

deserve
less respect than someone who happened to be in the right place at the

right
time?

Not to mention during Art's day, you were "volunteered"...Todays military is
100% volunteer.

Old July 26th 03, 01:27 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Brian" wrote in message
"Leadfoot" wrote in message
Being awarded a medal is often a case of being in the right place and

doing
what you were trained to do. "Snuffy" Smith come to mind. Does the guy

who
spends his whole military career preparing for war but never sees it

deserve
less respect than someone who happened to be in the right place at the

right
time?

Not to mention during Art's day, you were "volunteered"...Todays military

is
100% volunteer.

Aircrew were 100% volunteers in the USAAF and RAF , you could get drafted
into
the service but had to volunteer for flying duty.

Keith

Old July 26th 03, 01:49 PM
Brian

ubject: Bronze Star v. Combat Infantry Badge
From: "Brian"
Date: 7/26/03 4:35 AM Pacific

Not to mention during Art's day, you were "volunteered"...Todays military

is
100% volunteer.

No. We were not "volunteered". We volunteered. Get the difference?. I

assume
you vounteered as well..

I should have stated aircrew were volunteers but most people got drafted.

Old July 26th 03, 01:51 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Bronze Star v. Combat Infantry Badge
From: "Brian"
Date: 7/26/03 5:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time

From: "Brian"
Date: 7/26/03 4:35 AM Pacific

Not to mention during Art's day, you were "volunteered"...Todays military

is
100% volunteer.

No. We were not "volunteered". We volunteered. Get the difference?. I

assume
you vounteered as well..

I should have stated aircrew were volunteers but most people got drafted.

Yes, you should have.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old July 26th 03, 05:18 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "S. Sampson"
wrote:

If I may, I have a war story about what people are really fighting for:

There was a rule (don't know if it still exists) that said if you flew
through two meal periods, and were TDY, that you got full per-diem
for the day. There are generally four meals a day, in defined periods
of time (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight chow). If you launch
before, or during one meal, and land after another, you track that
data on a "missed meal" form.

We never really missed a meal, as we had what were known as
IF-10's back then (In-Flight C rations), and later we had the "three
big lies"--"Meals", "Ready", and "To Eat".

If you really wanted to **** a crew off, it was to deny a missed meal
credit, which denied them full per-diem, which cost them a bunch of
bucks, that their wives already spent.

The Bronze Star, and CIB pale in comparison.

Spousal combat is not covered by the Geneva or Hague Conventions. As
was said about Tarawa, "Utmost savagery."
Old July 27th 03, 03:48 AM
Walter Luffman

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 04:30:01 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

You know I never liked the slogan "Army of One". I always thought of
military service as a "Team Effort".

Same here. When I hear "any Army of One", I think of Rambo-type
vigilantes. Warriors almost never fight solo; even pilots in
single-seat fighters generally have wingmen. Not to mention all the
non-warriors who provide necessary support back a the post/base/camp.

___
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal-opportunity annoyer
Old July 27th 03, 03:50 AM
Walter Luffman

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 07:35:54 -0400, "Brian"
wrote:

Not to mention during Art's day, you were "volunteered"...Todays military is
100% volunteer.

Yep. I enlisted in 1968; but if I hadn't been at some risk of being
drafted anyway, I most likely would not have enlisted.

___