2 seaters

Old August 29th 03, 05:11 PM
Marco Rispoli

Default 2 seaters

In my quest to purchase an aircraft I came to the conclusion that a 2 seater
could fit my mission parameters AND my budget.

I can afford:

Beech Skipper (goes between 25-35 grands age around 20+)
Mooney M10 (same as the skipper ... but it's older age around 30+)
Piper Tomahawk (same as the skipper).

Are there any other low wing 2 seaters out there that I am missing?
(probably, yes ...)

By the way it's not by chance that there's no high-wings in my list. I know
I can probably buy a cub for the same price ... I am just not too crazy
about high wings ... I will look into those later, if I have no other
choice.

Thanks

--
Marco Rispoli - NJ, USA
You can read my flight training diary at

Old August 29th 03, 05:55 PM
Ron Natalie

"Marco Rispoli" wrote in message t...
In my quest to purchase an aircraft I came to the conclusion that a 2 seater
could fit my mission parameters AND my budget.

I can afford:

Beech Skipper (goes between 25-35 grands age around 20+)
Mooney M10 (same as the skipper ... but it's older age around 30+)
Piper Tomahawk (same as the skipper).

The smaller PA-28's are two seaters.

By the way it's not by chance that there's no high-wings in my list. I know
I can probably buy a cub for the same price ... I am just not too crazy
about high wings ... I will look into those later, if I have no other

What's wrong with high wings. There's others besides the cub, namely
the immensely popular Cessna 150/152 (and it's taildragging predecessor
the 120/140).

Old August 29th 03, 06:10 PM
Steve Robertson

Marco, my friend, I'm not that crazy about high-wings either. But you can buy a
real nice Cessna 150 or a Piper Colt for way less than 25-35 grand. Cessna 152
for a bit more than a C-150.

The Tomahawk should not cost as much as a Skipper - It should be priced more
like a C-150. A highly underrated plane in my opinion.

The Mooney M10 is a pretty rare bird - it's actually the Ercoupe with a Mooney
tail on it. They didn't make very many.

Since you have an interest in rare birds, then consider a Varga Kachina.
Low-wing, trike-gear, tandem seating.

If you are interested in an Ercoupe-like plane, then also look at Ercoupes (and
Alon Aircoupes). Again, generally priced much lower than Skipper.

The Grumman/American AA1/Lynx/TR2 is a nice fast little 2-seater in your price
range. Lots of 'em around. Like a neat little sports car.

If you want a much roomier plane for the same money as a Skipper, look at Piper
Cherokee 140 and Beechcraft Sport (or Musketeer with 150/160hp engine). Most of
these have 4 seats in them, but they are really only good as 2-seaters if you
have baggage and full fuel. However, you will have a bigger plane with more
creature comforts, albiet with a thirstier engine. Although it's a high-wing, a
Piper Tri-Pacer fits right in here, too, but should be a bit less expensive than
a Cherokee or Sport/Musketeer. Probably one of the best values in airplane flesh
around.

Not trying to talk you out of a Skipper, they are real nice planes. But you can
get more plane for your money, or a similar plane for less money.

All these relative price comparisons would be assuming similar
equipment/condition/engine times.

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft Musketeer Super III (200hp).

Old August 29th 03, 06:16 PM
Steve Robertson

Jeremy, I really don't mean to pick on you, but ... Why, when a fellow says his
budget is $35k, do you pitch a solitary plane that is $5k-$20 more? Let me guess
- you own a Diamond Katana? There are plenty of other 2-seat birds in his price
range. But they will be older. And there's nother wrong with older planes.

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft Musketeer A23-24

Old August 29th 03, 06:27 PM
Marco Rispoli

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

What's wrong with high wings. There's others besides the cub, namely
the immensely popular Cessna 150/152 (and it's taildragging predecessor
the 120/140).

Absolutely nothing wrong with high wings. It's just my personal preference.

For what I have seen high wings in my price range tend to be sturdier (nice
to land on soft fields, at least if you kick up some stones you won't dig a
hole in your high wing, you could potentially do that in a low wing), a tad
more stable (not for nothing most trainers are 172) but a bit slower and
with less range. At least that's what I have seen around.

Again, just a question of preference, really (and I like the looks of low
wings ). As someone replied in this thread, some of these low-wing 2
seaters are like little sports cars. No Lamborghini Diablo, that's for sure,
but they look slick and perform decently (for planes in the 30k range)

Old August 29th 03, 06:42 PM
Marco Rispoli

Since you have an interest in rare birds, then consider a Varga Kachina.
Low-wing, trike-gear, tandem seating.

Yes I confess: I have an interest in exotic birds. I want people to look at
my plane and go like "What the heck is that???"

I don't want them to say "Oh ... a 152. Nice, like the other three hundred
parked around here".

I also realize fully that the mechanic that will have to maintain it will
also say "What the heck is that???" and when I will see the bills I will
probably say "What the heck is that???" just as loud ... I can imagine that
"exotic" might mean hard/expensive to maintain. It's a risk ... but a worthy
risk if I can find the bird I can love for the next 30 years ... without
having to donate a kidney to buy it, that is.

The sin I am guilty of is ... vanity?

Old August 29th 03, 07:59 PM
Jeremy Lew

He didn't actually say what his budget is, he simply said that he could
afford the three in the list, which all happen to be the same price. I
pointed out that for a (possibly) small amount more, he could have a 8 year
old plane. You guessed wrong, I don't own a Katana, although I did most of
my primary training in them. I belong to a club with 27-year-old Warrior.
Thank you for your concern, though -- I'm sure Marco appreciates you
looking out for his best interests.

Old August 29th 03, 08:18 PM
David Megginson

"Marco Rispoli" writes:

Then again your suggestion was not that much off, since the Katana happens
to be the plane that sends me in uncontrollable fits of drooling (it's such
a beautifully designed aircraft). It is exactly my "dream" plane ... but
alas I can't afford it.

However, thank you both for your suggestions !!

Just a warning -- the Katana cannot be used for IFR. I don't know
what other two seaters can be, or if that's a consideration for you.

And I'm afraid no one at my airport would ask "what's that" when you
landed in a Katana -- we have several based on the field.

All the best,

David