max altitude deviation before bust?

Old March 21st 04, 07:44 PM
C J Campbell

"BTIZ" wrote in message
news:rK87c.20095$Nj.6945@fed1read01...
If your
altimeter setting is not set to "local", his computer radar will
misinterpret the altitude ModeC information from your aircraft.

The controller has no way of reading your altimeter, no matter what setting
you have in it. The only thing he can read is the mode C of your
transponder. That is always set to 29.92.

Old March 21st 04, 11:00 PM
Richard Hertz

There is none for vfr traffic - but supposedly vfr traffic should be flying
on the 500 ft intervals.

"Magnus" wrote in message
Where can you read about the +/- 100 feet, I couldn't find it in the

far-aim.

On 2004-03-20 21:44:58 -0500, "Richard Hertz"
said:

Why do you say "a little steep?" Clearly if you understand what is

going on
there would not be a question. (assuming US/FAA)

vfr traffic 500 feet above/below
altimeter error allowed - 75 feet.
deviation of 100 feet
deviation of VFR traffic - 100 ft

Add up those errors and you have only 150 ft of separation

Old March 21st 04, 11:01 PM
Richard Hertz

When you don't want to crash into them.

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 6...
"Richard Hertz" wrote
Add up those errors and you have only 150 ft of separation

When is IFR traffic required to have separation from VFR?

Bob Moore

Old March 21st 04, 11:47 PM
BTIZ

Newps.. thanx for the "difference update".. between center and tracon..
please note my "statement of experience" in the first line of the posting...
granted I did not add that it was well over 20years ago when "shrimp boats"
were still around for when the computers failed..

you do know what those are ... don't you?

BT

"Newps" wrote in message

BTIZ wrote:
ATC radar's (at least they used to when I was working them) show you on
"assigned altitude" when you are within +/-200ft

Old March 21st 04, 11:48 PM
BTIZ

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
If your
altimeter setting is not set to "local", his computer radar will
misinterpret the altitude ModeC information from your aircraft.

No, if your altimiter setting is not set to local, the PILOT will

misinterpret
his altitude and fly an incorrect altitude, which will be correctly shown

ATC.

Jose

Thank you Jose...

BT

Old March 22nd 04, 12:58 AM
Newps

BTIZ wrote:
Newps.. thanx for the "difference update".. between center and tracon..
please note my "statement of experience" in the first line of the posting...
granted I did not add that it was well over 20years ago when "shrimp boats"
were still around for when the computers failed..

you do know what those are ... don't you?

I heard about 'em. Never actually seen them.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
Capt.Doug

"Teacherjh" wrote in message It's what I was taught. I think it's also
in the PTS for instrument flight
(though I don't have one handy). I haven't found it in a printed

reference.

For a practical exam, I agree with you. The original post asked about
violations in the text. I was thinking enforcement actions, not practical
tests.

D.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:33 AM
Peter Duniho

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
et...
There is none for vfr traffic - but supposedly vfr traffic should be

flying
on the 500 ft intervals.

When in cruise flight, above 3000' AGL. Doesn't sound like that would have
applied in this particular case.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:37 AM
Andrew Sarangan

I've had situations where my mode C was malfunctiong and reporting an
altitude outside of the accepted range for IFR. In such cases, ATC
verified what altitude I was maintaining and asked me to turn the
altitude encoder.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message link.net...
"Magnus" wrote in message

I thought it was +/- 200 feet before you've violated if you are flying
IFR, but someone just told me it's a 100 feet, which seems a little
steep considering they use 1000 feet separations.

Depends what you mean by "violated". If your Mode C altitude is within 200
feet of your reported altitude you're considered to be on altitude.

Old March 22nd 04, 02:32 AM
Bob Gardner

FAA Order 2150.3a, Compliance and Enforcement Program, in section
"Compliance/Enforcement Bulletin 86-1," says

"ACTION: Until further notice, a computer detected altitude deviation of 500
feet or less, where no near midair collision resulted, should normally be
addressed by means of administrative action, unless a prior altitude
deviation occurred within 2 years of the date of the subject altitude
deviation or other aggravating circumstances require initiation of legal
enforcement action. In determining whether a violation is "aggravated," all
circumstances surrounding the incident (e.g., whether the deviation was
deliberate or inadvertent, the hazard to safety, etc.) shall be considered."

In searching my Summit Aviation CD-ROM, I found the figure "300 feet" only
in reference to oceanic airspace and RSVM (Reduced Vertical Separation
Minimum), which applies above flight level 290.

Bob Gardner