Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 11th 04, 02:53 PM
Richard Lamb

Barnyard BOb - wrote:

My observations over time...

1. IF YOU EAT MORE THAN YOU BURN....

YOU WEAR IT.

2. Exercise is great for cardiovascular improvement,
but one can easily eat more than can be exercised away.

3. My doctor sez....

Put whatever you desire on your plate,
then slide half of it off and you will lose weight.

Barnyard BOb -

that's a keeper...
Old July 11th 04, 03:32 PM
RobertR237

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc.

All true, but how do you explain skinny people that are sedentary and
don't diet? Although rare by comparison, they do exist in measurable
numbers.

Metabolisim among other things.

I know a woman who is about 40 years old who, to this day, constantly
has to show ID to buy any kind of alcoholic beverage. She looks like
a 16 year old girl. She diets, but it is a special diet to try to
GAIN weight. She has as much trouble gaining as most everybody else
has losing. She doesn't have anorexia or the like, she's just plain
skinny.

There are medical exceptions to every rule but by and large, the obesity we are
experiencing as a nation is a direct result of eating habits and lifestyle.

There is no question that a sedentary lifestyle is a factor, but its
not the only factor. The odds are, most of the people reading this
know of a person similar to the woman described above.

Dennis.

I not only know of a person who was similar, I was one. I could eat anything
and all of everything I wanted and could not gain weight until I got into my
mid 30's. I then slowly started gaining weight. Now, I must watch what and
how I eat or I would be grossly overweight in no time. I also know of people
who are overweight in spite of eating reasonably and having an active life
style. But the vast majority of the overweight people I know are simply
unwilling to make the changes in their eating and lifestyle needed to keep
their weight under control.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 11th 04, 04:23 PM
Rich S.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc. Also, I've yet to see any evidence that humans have evolved
genetically in a dramatic way in such a short period of time.

snip

Oh Yeah! We're the FIRST generation to have Michael Jackson! :0) :-)

Seriously, though I'm not disputing that environmental factors are
important. At the same time I cannot discount the other factors the article.
Those other things: genetic disposition to different metabolic rates, leptin
resistance, leptin levels, increased triglycerides, a virus previously
unknown - may have always been there and are just now being investigated.

If the changes you mention have come in the last 30 to 40 years, they may be
the "last straw" - not the "only straw".

I don't want to stray into social issues such as the trend to assign blame.
I don't think discussion of that would be productive whether I agree with
you or not. Likewise with the subject Mr. Reed raises about "the vast
majority of the overweight people I know are simply
unwilling to make the changes in their eating and lifestyle needed . . ." I
am interested in seeing further research done which will facilitate the
changes necessary for that "vast majority" (myself included) enabling them
to *become* willing.

Fifteen years ago, thanks to the help of nicotine patches, I quit a
thirty-year smoking habit. It is likely that I would have failed without the
patch. Let us fight the overweight epidemic with all of our weapons and
find new ones. Let's not give up on that vast majority by labeling them weak
or unwilling. There may or not be a patch for them, but why not look for
one?

I gotta go get some coffee. I just reread what I wrote am I'm not even sure
what I said. Mebbe you can figger out what I mean, though.

Ciao,
Rich S.

Old July 11th 04, 04:36 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Barnyard BOb - says...

My observations over time...

1. IF YOU EAT MORE THAN YOU BURN....

YOU WEAR IT.

2. Exercise is great for cardiovascular improvement,
but one can easily eat more than can be exercised away.

3. My doctor sez....

Put whatever you desire on your plate,
then slide half of it off and you will lose weight.

You forgot one Unka Bob ..."all you eat goes to your stomach" along with,
" from a distance food seems far away" oops that's two... :-)

See ya

Neefoo Chuck

Old July 11th 04, 05:00 PM
Bill Daniels

"Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc. Also, I've yet to see any evidence that humans have evolved
genetically in a dramatic way in such a short period of time.

Matt

My observations over time...

1. IF YOU EAT MORE THAN YOU BURN....

YOU WEAR IT.

2. Exercise is great for cardiovascular improvement,
but one can easily eat more than can be exercised away.

3. My doctor sez....

Put whatever you desire on your plate,
then slide half of it off and you will lose weight.

Barnyard BOb -

My doctor said that whatever part of the body gets used the most gets the
biggest. If you sit at a computer all day, your butt gets big.

Bill Daniels

Old July 11th 04, 07:02 PM
Matt Whiting

Barnyard BOb - wrote:

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc. Also, I've yet to see any evidence that humans have evolved
genetically in a dramatic way in such a short period of time.

Matt

My observations over time...

1. IF YOU EAT MORE THAN YOU BURN....

YOU WEAR IT.

Yes, it really is a pretty simple energy/mass balance problem at the core.

2. Exercise is great for cardiovascular improvement,
but one can easily eat more than can be exercised away.

True, but exercise also increases muscle mass and muscle consumes more
calories even after the exercise is over so you gain beyond just what
you burn during the exercise period.

3. My doctor sez....

Put whatever you desire on your plate,
then slide half of it off and you will lose weight.

Yep, that is roughly my approach. I haven't dramatically changed my
diet insofar as composition is concerned (I don't believe in low-fat,
low-carb, or any other fad diet), but am trying to reduce portion sizes
(not by 50% though) and cut back on the junk food. I still simply must
have my evening dish of ice cream though!

Matt

Old July 11th 04, 07:08 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote:

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc.

All true, but how do you explain skinny people that are sedentary and
don't diet? Although rare by comparison, they do exist in measurable
numbers.

I was talking about the GENERAL obesity problem in the US, not any
particular person. Sure, there are all sorts of medical conditions that
can cause weight gain or loss. I never said otherwise.

I know a woman who is about 40 years old who, to this day, constantly
has to show ID to buy any kind of alcoholic beverage. She looks like
a 16 year old girl. She diets, but it is a special diet to try to
GAIN weight. She has as much trouble gaining as most everybody else
has losing. She doesn't have anorexia or the like, she's just plain
skinny.

Sure, I know people like that. And if you look at what they eat during
the day, they simply don't eat enough to ovecome what they burn. This
is simply chemistry and physics. The calories just don't disappear into
thin air. I'll bet you a steak dinner that she isn't eating 3,000
calories a day. The only "diet" you need to gain weight is a diet where
you eat more than your body consumes. I would hope that her doctors
have ruled out any medical condition that would cause her food to not be
broken down properly in her stomach or absorbed properly through her
intestines. Obviously, if there is a medical problem like that, then
changing diet probably won't have much affect.

There is no question that a sedentary lifestyle is a factor, but its
not the only factor. The odds are, most of the people reading this
know of a person similar to the woman described above.

Gee, Dennis, where did I ever say it was the only factor?

Matt

Old July 11th 04, 07:18 PM
Matt Whiting

Rich S. wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Nope, simply observation over time, knowing from labor statistics the
kinds of jobs we have now compared to 30 or 40 years ago. We have fewer
farm, manufacturing, heavy labor, etc., jobs and more desk jobs, service
jobs, etc. Also, I've yet to see any evidence that humans have evolved
genetically in a dramatic way in such a short period of time.

snip

Oh Yeah! We're the FIRST generation to have Michael Jackson! :0) :-)

Ha, ha, ha... True enough, but I don't consider surgery to be genetic! :-)

Seriously, though I'm not disputing that environmental factors are
important. At the same time I cannot discount the other factors the article.
Those other things: genetic disposition to different metabolic rates, leptin
resistance, leptin levels, increased triglycerides, a virus previously
unknown - may have always been there and are just now being investigated.

If the changes you mention have come in the last 30 to 40 years, they may be
the "last straw" - not the "only straw".

I never said it was the only straw, but I believe it is the largest
factor by far. If anyone can show me a shred of evidence that humans
have made some dramatic change in genetic composition in the last 3-4
decads, I'll admit that I'm wrong.

I don't want to stray into social issues such as the trend to assign blame.
I don't think discussion of that would be productive whether I agree with
you or not. Likewise with the subject Mr. Reed raises about "the vast
majority of the overweight people I know are simply
unwilling to make the changes in their eating and lifestyle needed . . ." I
am interested in seeing further research done which will facilitate the
changes necessary for that "vast majority" (myself included) enabling them
to *become* willing.

The change is simple. You first have to simply admit that you are fat
because of what YOU are doing or not doing. Then decide you are going
to eat less and exercise more. Then go out and do it! Walk, ride bike,
whatever. If you spend all of your energy looking for a scapegoat, then
you'll stay fat and out of shape. Looking for an excuse simply doesn't
burn many calories! :-)

Fifteen years ago, thanks to the help of nicotine patches, I quit a
thirty-year smoking habit. It is likely that I would have failed without the
patch. Let us fight the overweight epidemic with all of our weapons and
find new ones. Let's not give up on that vast majority by labeling them weak
or unwilling. There may or not be a patch for them, but why not look for
one?

My dad quite smoking overnight before patches were available. I think
looking for bandaid solutions for every problem simply encourages more
people to wait around for the bandaid rather than making the hard
choices and investing some work. I don't watch much TV at all anymore,
but one of the few people on the tube I have any respect for is Dr.
Phil. He's the first one in a long time to routinely tell people to
look in the mirror to see both the source of their problems and the
solution.

I gotta go get some coffee. I just reread what I wrote am I'm not even sure
what I said. Mebbe you can figger out what I mean, though.

I think I know what you mean. You mean to say that eating less and
exercising is hard work and takes a lot of will power. I agree. You
are also saying that we should coddle folks and make it easy for them
rather than telling them to get off their butts and work a little. I
disagree.

I have a very hard time turning down a cookie or donut. I don't always
feel like stopping at the gym after work or hopping on the bike for a
two hour ride. However, I will tell you that it works.

Matt

Old July 11th 04, 07:19 PM
Matt Whiting

Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

Do your eyes get bit also? :-)

Matt

Old July 11th 04, 08:06 PM
Bill Daniels

Bill Daniels wrote:

[...]

40 years ago the captain of my ship hit on a solution to the expanding
waistlines of some of the crew.

He ordered the hatches to the mess decks dogged and locked leaving only the
18" diameter scuttle holes. If you could skinny through the holes, you
could eat. If not, you could report to the ships doctor for a special diet
and exercise. Of course, you could also starve.

One of my Chief Petty Officers was heard to say after consulting a chart of
height vs. desired weight, "I am NOT too heavy, I'm just 6 inches too
short - it's height discrimination."

Bill Daniels