Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

Old January 10th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/
Old January 10th 18, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I didn't see any mention of endurance in the article.Â* Did I miss it?

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 10th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 4:30:12 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/

Nick - Indeed, the future is electric! Whether it is future towplanes or trainers like the Pipistrel Alpha Trainer, we will see more aircraft using electric motors. Gliders using the FES as a sustainer or as a self-launcher are already flying all over the world and have been flying for many years. We are seeing the development of the GP Gliders with electric self-launching capabilities which looks very interesting. Most of the major manufacturers now have gliders with electric capabilities including: Schempp-Hirth (including the new Ventus 3), JSC SportinÄ— Aviacija ir Ko (LAK gliders) HPH 304eS, Alisport Silent 2 Electro, Albastar, and now Schleicher with the ASG 32EL. Now are there issues? Absolutely! Is endurance and range a concern? Sure...The developers know this and there is a lot of work being done to help increase range via improved battery technology and other technical improvements.

We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny

Old January 10th 18, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 02:51:12 UTC+2, Renny wrote:
We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny

I think electric is the way to go but I'm very sceptical about the improvements in battery technology.
I don't think we have come a long way in the past 10 years. All that is happening now is multiple manufactures are getting into the electric game using old, proven battery technologies.
Glider manufacturers are using lithium-ion or lithium-ion polymer battery technologies both of which where invented and developed in the 1970's and 1980's and then commercialized in the 1990's. There have been small improvements along the way but nothing ground breaking in the last 20 years.

Wake me up when someone manages to double or triple the specific energy (Joules/kg) of our current battery technologies.
The only promising technology I see on the horizon is rechargable, lithium metal batteries which MIT are busy working on.
Old January 10th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 9:09:17 PM UTC-8, Surge wrote:
[...]

Current electric self launchers are getting 10-15 minutes climb. Gas self launchers more like 60 - 90 minutes. So to match gas duration, you would need a 6x improvement in battery capacity. Now you only need what you need, but the gas tanks in gas self launchers weren't made extra large for fun.
Old January 10th 18, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 1/9/2018 5:51 PM, Renny wrote:
Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny

And after 95 straight dry days, I'm finally seeing a tiny bit of snow
falling!
--
Dan, 5J
Old January 13th 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

During that record setting tow I wonder how hot those batterys got. Is that the limiting factor in producing power, the over heating of the batterys? Getting on the edge of combustion must be quite the worry for those guys.
Does anybody have a guess to the operating time at full power for that record setting Extra?
Old January 13th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 12:36:23 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
During that record setting tow I wonder how hot those batterys got. Is that the limiting factor in producing power, the over heating of the batterys? Getting on the edge of combustion must be quite the worry for those guys.
Does anybody have a guess to the operating time at full power for that record setting Extra?

Motor temp is also a limiting factor. Get too hot and you can hurt the magnets based on what I've read.
UH
Old January 13th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

My experience in the Electro in Uvalde and Kansas is that motor temp becomes an issue well before battery and controller temp.
Old January 14th 18, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 8:32:19 AM UTC+13, Tony wrote:
My experience in the Electro in Uvalde and Kansas is that motor temp
becomes an issue well before battery and controller temp.

Depends on the machine. Antares has better motor cooling,
but batteries start to get hot and require early shutdown
at Uvalde for example (I typically shut down 800-1000 ft).
Perhaps cooling for enclosed FES motor isn't as good?

See ya, Dave