Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

Old March 3rd 18, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

I would caution against mounting bike racks on top of a trailer. A friend did this years ago on a tent trailer and found the vibration shook the hardware loose and the whole contraption parted company onto the freeway. The result was very non-reversible! I suspect the vibration on a glider trailer might be similarly problematic.

I would look at solutions on the front of the trailer or around the hitch, as others have suggested. In the USA, double hitches enable using both a hitch-mounted bike rack and a trailer hitch.

Mike

Old March 3rd 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 4:43:35 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I have searched discussions on bike racks and trailers. I tend not to like the trailer hitch extension solution as stability is compromised, as well as access to the car or trailer hatches. Has anyone installed a traditional roof rack on top of a fiberglass Cobra trailer? Looking to support one E-Bike up there.

Thanks for any experience or suggestions.

Matt

I have a foldable bike that fits well inside my Q5. Very practical at contest sites, not great for longer rides.
Old March 3rd 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I built a rack mount for my Cobra trailer to mount two bicycles, one each side forward of the trailer wheels. The rack is strong enough that I can sit on my bike while it's on the trailer - stays firm, no sagging.

I considered using standard automotive receiver hitch mounts, but IMO there's a better way, stronger and probably less weight.

Search online nesting square steel tubing You'll need roughly 1 1/2" will do nicely for the outer tubes, 2 each to span the width of the trailer. Each length provides a receiver hitch on each side.

4 shorter lengths are used to slide into (nest) the cross tubing to provide the attach points for the bicycle tray style rack. I used a Thule: https://www.amazon.com/Thule-9044-Cl...hule+bike+rack

Not cheap, but nice quality. If you get the version for 1.25" mount, and your receiver cross tube is sized accordingly (1/8 wall 1-1/2 tube) you can use the brackets that come on the carrier (though you will need a couple of extra for the 2-point mounting). I used the standard 2" receiver hitch Thule, and saved the hitch tube so the racks can be used off the trailer. Then the Thule tray tube is attached to each mount tube (smaller nesting tubes) with a single through bolt.

The mount tubes can pivot for storage off the trailer. The only critical dimension is the trailer mounted cross tubes must be near perfectly parallel, this allows to mount tubes to slide in/out easily.

Mount tubes are secured in trailer cross tubes using hitch or safety pins:
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old March 4th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 11:23:51 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
[...]

Could you post a link to a photo? That was too much nesting to follow clearly. Also, why not get a 2" cross tube and slide the bike racks in directly?

Andy
Old March 5th 18, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 3:19:00 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:

Could you post a link to a photo? That was too much nesting to follow clearly. Also, why not get a 2" cross tube and slide the bike racks in directly?

Andy

Okay, will try using Imgur:

https://i.imgur.com/4qJV6NC.png
Bike Friday folder, only bike I have at the hangar right now, but mountain bikes fit fine (make sure you allow spacing for bars)

https://i.imgur.com/9my8buo.png
close up of attach flange, the round chunk of tubing on the left is for a lock
cable.

https://i.imgur.com/pzlp5DD.png
Shows both mounting tubes.

I chose not to use a single standard 2" receiver hitch primarily due to the added complexity and weight of the required attach to the trailer. A single point mount also allows the bike to rock back and forth unless a tightening clamp is installed. Using two cross tubes allows loads to carry through to each side flange of the trailer.

Old March 5th 18, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Very nice engineering and fabricating job Bumper!
Old March 6th 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 4:31:31 AM UTC-8, joesimmers wrote:
Very nice engineering and fabricating job Bumper!

Thanks Joe!

A couple of other considerations in choosing how/where to mount bikes on the Cobra, roof vs side. Bikes are relatively light, but at 73 getting a mountain bike up onto the Cobra roof would be a real chore, with my side mount it's easy.

With the side mount, the trailer wall lower flange provides a solid mounting surface that requires no more reinforcement than washers on the mounting bolts. For a roof mount, wind loading and moment arms would require more attention to reinforcement to prevent flexure and possible metal fatigue on the aluminum topped version.

When I carry the bikes on the back of my motorhome, if I don't use covers, they can get filthy. At least in good weather they stay clean on the trailer, so I haven't bothered to cover them. The side trailer mount also has them tucked in and mostly out of harm's way to all but the most determined side attacking, insurance-free, "road kamikaze".
Old March 8th 18, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

Why bother with Bikeracks, just fold it up and put in the boot of your car or into the glider trailer, where it will be safe!! Needs to be in view of the price

https://gocycle.com/about/

Old March 9th 18, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe I'm wrong, but while I applaud the ingenuity and craftmanship, I think any external bike rack on the sides of the trailer would be road-illegal in Europe due to considerations regarding the safety of pedestrians, cyclists and animals in the unlucky case of a collision. Such racks would certainly aggravate the consequences for the victims.

All the best,
Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Old March 9th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Maybe you put a side rack away from the road edge?

I am not happy seeing things on top of a glider trailer. Flexing of the top, odd airflow, reaching the rack, etc.