Formation flying

Old August 17th 04, 01:00 AM
Bingo

Default Formation flying

Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at 160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Bingo

Old August 17th 04, 02:12 AM
Blueskies

"Bingo" wrote in message nk.net...
Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at 160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Bingo

Used to be fine, but who knows now-a-days...

Old August 17th 04, 03:13 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article et,
"Bingo" wrote:

Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at 160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Bingo

Yes -- as long as all members of the flight have agreed to the flight.
The pass down the runway is usually in echelon, followed by the break to
downwind and landing.
Old August 17th 04, 07:33 AM
Ron

Sounds like the hotshots at 7S5 are still trying to show everyone how
'swell' they can fly. Were there any airplanes with no radios in the
pattern? Any student pilots in the pattern? Any citizens in town, less than
a mile away, and in-line with the runway?

The FARs say that whether in formation or not, thou shalt not be less than
1000' above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2000' of the
aircraft.

FAR Part 91.119 (b), "Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a
city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an
altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal
radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft."

This would include the homes in the airpark, as well as non-aviation homes
within a quarter mile of the runway, wouldn't it?

160 mph at 320' agl? WOW! They sure must be good pilots!

Bango

nk.net...

Old August 17th 04, 07:59 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:33:06 -0700, "Ron" no one @home.com wrote:

The FARs say that whether in formation or not, thou shalt not be less than
1000' above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2000' of the
aircraft.

If that's the part that's bothering you, then the fact that they are in
formation is moot. It's no more legal...or illegal...to do it as part of a
formation than it is to do solo.

Fly a low pass over a runway with no intention of landing? Heck, I've done
it. Bet I ain't the only one....

Ron Wanttaja

Old August 17th 04, 12:00 PM
Scott

Keep reading. What about over UNCONGESTED areas? One only has to keep
a distance of 500 feet from any person or object, therefore I (we) could
fly 1 foot above the surface as long as we were 500 feet laterally from
any person or object. Of course, the other reg that comes into play
with any of these scenarios is the one that says something like "or
flight at an altitude that that does not place undue hazard to persons
or property on the ground should an emergency arise, ie engine out."
Since we don't know where the intended formation flight is planned, it
may or may not be legal.

As far as flying down a runway with no intention to land, yes, I'm sure
we've all done it. Can you say "shoot practice approaches or simulated
engine outs at an airport?" I thought you could...

Scott

Ron wrote:
[...]

nk.net...

Old August 17th 04, 12:24 PM
Jerry Springer

Ron wrote:
[...]

"Bingo" wrote in message
nk.net...

Is it within FARs to do a 4-ship pass down the active at 500 ft msl at 160
mph at an uncontrolled airstrip?

Bingo

You've never made a low pass down the runway in your Ultrlight? :-) The
formation part has nothing to do with it. Can't you all just get a long at 7S5? :-)

Jerry

Old August 17th 04, 12:44 PM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Ron Wanttaja says...

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:33:06 -0700, "Ron" no one @home.com wrote:
Fly a low pass over a runway with no intention of landing? Heck, I've done
it. Bet I ain't the only one....

Well Ron I must confess to doing what we call "gear checks" around here .I've
also done deer checks ,duck checks,runway checks (looking for sink holes),
people checks, personal checks, ramp checks ,bounced checks,Czech checks,
rubber checks (hmmmm),past checks and checkered past checks....

Chuck(el Pollo Loco aks Head Ducks in a row checker)S

Old August 17th 04, 08:36 PM
B2431

snip

Well Ron I must confess to doing what we call "gear checks" around here .I've
also done deer checks ,duck checks,runway checks (looking for sink holes),
people checks, personal checks, ramp checks ,bounced checks,Czech checks,
rubber checks (hmmmm),past checks and checkered past checks....

Chuck(el Pollo Loco aks Head Ducks in a row checker)S

Check, Chuck, gotcha. No check ride? Ever ridden a Czech? If so, have you told
your wife?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired