Flyboys?

Old December 16th 03, 09:05 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

Although I'm sure there were those who might have used this term in a
derogatory way, it should be noted that the term itself is so generic

that
it's use was certainly not limited to a negative context alone.
I'm fairly certain that there were many who used this term in an

extremely
positive sense as the term related to them personally, and their positive
feelings about those who were fighting above them or for them, and in

many
cases, protecting them.
I know that in my years of association with those who have flown in

harm's
way, I can't remember anyone having a violent reaction to the term.
Dudley Henriques

I find it amazing that you could say that, Of course you've
amazed me before so I shouldn't be surprised I guess. I suppose I
shouldn't knock your misinterpetation here because you're
speaking from almost zero experience aren't you?. That shouldn't
surprise me by now either I guess.

I'll merely state that not once in my 26 years in the military
have I ever heard anyone call anyone a 'flyboy' with other than
derision in mind. Not once. Derision only. Sorry.

-Gord.

I take it that after we delete the unnecessary and unfortunately predictable
vitriol, we have an opposing opinion here.
Perhaps next time you can try something like ;
"In my experience I've found the term more negative than positive". Makes
your point.......doesn't waste time and bandwidth....and definitely makes
for more intelligent discussion don't you think? :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old December 16th 03, 09:06 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Krztalizer" wrote in message
Having been a ground pounder, then an aircrewman during the 1980s, my
experience with the term is limited. As jet mechs, we called the "pretty

boys"
in flight suits that never had to stand a watch or get dirty by the

negative
term "fly boys". Later, when it was my time in the flightsuit,

periodically I
would be approached by women that used the term with much greater

affection and
appreciation. I think that the term can be used like almost every other

term,
either positively or negatively.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Exactly!!

Old December 16th 03, 09:09 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

"Chris Mark" wrote in message

The entry says, in part, "An aviator, esp. a glamorous,
heroic or daring aviator".

Yup!! That would be the right one all right!!!! :-))))

Dudley Henriques

...and in another part:

Now derog., implying
snobbishness, youth and cautiousness."

Yep!!...that would be the right one...

-Gord.

Thank you Gordo. You've made my point exactly. There are both positive and
negative connotations to this term. The key phrease being "in another part".

Old December 17th 03, 12:35 AM
Krztalizer

While I can understand the jet mechs envy that the aviators never had
to "stand a watch or get dirty", I usually asked them how long the
average jet mech spent in Hanoi as a POW, or how many of them were
lost last week during their shift. It seems to quiet the envy and pull
the plug on the green-eyed monster.

Well played, Ed. Besides, if flying wasn't the coolest thing on earth to be
paid for, there wouldn't be any envy in the first place. After three years
busting my knuckles on TF-34s, still ticking over from the last flight, I
thought (*cof*) that the guy snoozing all day in the rack beside mine was a
worthless, coffee-toting pansy. Then, I got a chance to go through the same
pipeline he did, with SAR swimmer and a few other variations thrown in. The
amount of work, studying, and danger between being a plane captain on the
flight deck of a carrier at night, and actually flying in helicopters that
operated off frigates at night, was not equal in my experience. Flying was of
course more FUN, but more work as well, and much more dangerous. Wouldn't
trade a minute of either experience though. One of my favorite visual memories
of my life was standing on the deck of the Ike as it swung around into the wind
at about 15 knots, just as the sun came up and swept the night away. The
orange ball on the razor thin horizon looked like it was rolling across a table
as we turned into it, and the flight deck's crowded ballet swung right under
the ball, and we started sending jets into it. Just frickin amazing view - one
out of many I am glad I have.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send those old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old December 17th 03, 03:16 AM

"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

I'll merely state that not once in my 26 years in the military
have I ever heard anyone call anyone a 'flyboy' with other than
derision in mind. Not once. Derision only. Sorry.

-Gord.

I take it that after we delete the unnecessary and unfortunately predictable
vitriol, we have an opposing opinion here.

Vitriol?...God, you've lived a very sheltered life haven't
you?...

--Gord.

"Bull ****! This is a constant speed prop. RPM is a
set value. The RPM can be set at 3000 and the
manifold pressure can be anywhere between 15 inches
and 61 inches, and it's the manifold pressure
combined with the set RPM that will determine the
power.....NOT the RPM!!! Are you trying to tell
me that the rotational (energy) of a propeller is
the same at 15 inches as it is at 61?".
-D Henriques
Old December 17th 03, 03:24 AM

"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

"Chris Mark" wrote:
The entry says, in part, "An aviator, esp. a glamorous,
heroic or daring aviator".

Yup!! That would be the right one all right!!!! :-))))

Dudley Henriques

...and in another part:

Now derog., implying
snobbishness, youth and cautiousness."

Yep!!...that would be the right one...

-Gord.

Thank you Gordo. You've made my point exactly. There are both positive and
negative connotations to this term. The key phrease being "in another part".

Dudley Henriques

snort ...you -are- a piece of work indeed...

Old December 17th 03, 05:06 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

snort ...you -are- a piece of work indeed...

--Gord.

"Bull ****! This is a constant speed prop. RPM is a
set value. The RPM can be set at 3000 and the
manifold pressure can be anywhere between 15 inches
and 61 inches, and it's the manifold pressure
combined with the set RPM that will determine the
power.....NOT the RPM!!! Are you trying to tell
me that the rotational (energy) of a propeller is
the same at 15 inches as it is at 61?".
-D Henriques

Correct as always!
1. Manifold pressure and rpm equal power
2. The rotational energy of a 24D50 is less at 15 inches than it is at 61 if
the power is brought back past the high rpm limiter.
Simple! Since the limiter is physically impossible to eliminate from the
statement, it's existence and function is assumed.
Is there something about all this you don't understand? :-))
DH

Old December 17th 03, 05:17 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
news
"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

I'll merely state that not once in my 26 years in the military
have I ever heard anyone call anyone a 'flyboy' with other than
derision in mind. Not once. Derision only. Sorry.

-Gord.

I take it that after we delete the unnecessary and unfortunately

predictable
vitriol, we have an opposing opinion here.

Vitriol?...God, you've lived a very sheltered life haven't
you?...

Not really, but fairly well educated...at least enough to know that vitriol
is defined as sharp or caustic speech or writing, such as your opening lines
to me below....you know, the stuff you "didn't include in your quote pickup
here :-)

I find it amazing that you could say that, Of course you've
amazed me before so I shouldn't be surprised I guess. I suppose I
shouldn't knock your misinterpetation here because you're
speaking from almost zero experience aren't you?. That shouldn't
surprise me by now either I guess.

Yup! That's vitriol, sheltered or unsheltered. :-)

Old December 17th 03, 05:17 AM
fudog50

I'm thinkin the term is used just like when SGT Mickland on
"Blacksheep Squadron" used to call Pappy Boyington "College Boy" (of
course it was only TV, but we used to use it occasionally on the "Fly
Boys" in our squadron too).
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:53:04 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

I just picked up a copy of Flyboys at BJ's Wholesale Club. Read the
first two chapters last night.

I was amazed that the author uses the term Flyboys throughout the
book, or at least throughout the first chapter. I'd assumed it was
just a cute title, but no: "Flyboys were over Chici Jima" etc.

When I was growing up--which was about the time of these
events--"flyboy" was a derisive name. It's what a ground-pounder would
say when he complained about the soft life pilots (indeed air crews)
had, compared to the infantry in the mud.

Anyone else ever heard it this way? Any mllitary pilots here ever
refer to themselves as flyboys or Flyboys?

Thanks!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at