Aren't and his claims of German U2 invention

Old February 18th 04, 09:07 AM
Wayne Allen

Default Aren't and his claims of German U2 invention

Radar scattering paint on the U2? I hope they got their money back
because it sure didn't work.

"Hobo" wrote in message
Robert Aren't recently made this claim:

"Laugh this off Tex. The US captured the DFS 228 rocket recon sailplane
in 1945 and took it back home. The aircraft was designed to fly at
(wait for this)... 80,000 ft and carry two Zeiss cameras (IR types
too).
So you think the U-2 came from US sources... uh, no. The funny thing
is the DFS even had a pressurized escape pod, something the U-2
to give maximum range.

Old February 19th 04, 08:25 AM
robert arndt

"Hobo" wrote in message
Robert Aren't recently made this claim:

"Laugh this off Tex. The US captured the DFS 228 rocket recon sailplane
in 1945 and took it back home. The aircraft was designed to fly at
(wait for this)... 80,000 ft and carry two Zeiss cameras (IR types
too).
So you think the U-2 came from US sources... uh, no. The funny thing
is the DFS even had a pressurized escape pod, something the U-2
to give maximum range.

The US Ironball paint was made to counter radars of that time period,
not the radars of 1944/45. The German paint was loaded with carbon and
equally applied to all vunerable areas of the aircraft. Ironball was
just what the description means- embedded little iron bbs in a carbon
based paint mixture. You're absolutely right, Ironball was applied
AFTER Powers was shot down and it WASN'T very effective against
post-WW2 radar.
The German type applied to the Go-229 was, however, highly effective
and even more so since the Go-229 was constructed of wood too with the
advantage of a flying wing configuration the U-2 didn't have.
The DFS 228 (had it flown) would not have needed any radar-absorbing
paint since it would be too high for anything in WW2 to shoot it down
and it was to be powered by a rocket motor.
What is so hard to understand about all this? The US got the DFS 228
and copied the idea for a high-flying sailplane. After Powers was shot
down they tried the German idea for the paint, but it failed in their
case due to the difference in technology of the time period.

Rob
Old February 19th 04, 05:15 PM
Boomer

the U-2 was little more than an F-104 with high aspect wings to overfly
unfriendly airspace. Not much of a "concept" there, just the only way to
achieve that kind of altitude with the tech of the day. I guess the Germans
invented the F-104 as well. There were "big wing" recon planes in WWII, I
guess they were stolen from Germany too.

From: (robert arndt)

After Powers was shot
down they tried the German idea for the paint, but it failed in their
case due to the difference in technology of the time period.

Rob

Prove it.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old February 20th 04, 01:26 AM
robert arndt

"Boomer" wrote in message ...
the U-2 was little more than an F-104 with high aspect wings to overfly
unfriendly airspace. Not much of a "concept" there, just the only way to
achieve that kind of altitude with the tech of the day. I guess the Germans
invented the F-104 as well. There were "big wing" recon planes in WWII, I
guess they were stolen from Germany too.

Gee, the U-2 bears a rather strong resemblence to the F-104, does it?
Let's look at the DFS 228 captured by the US in 1945 and studied for a
year before being given to the British to evaluate (which led to the
Slingsby T-44 concept):

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/dfs228.html

Yeah right, the DFS 228 has NOTHING to do with the U-2. Get real.

Rob
Old February 20th 04, 02:07 AM
Mike Zaharis

robert arndt wrote:

"Boomer" wrote in message ...
the U-2 was little more than an F-104 with high aspect wings to overfly
unfriendly airspace. Not much of a "concept" there, just the only way to
achieve that kind of altitude with the tech of the day. I guess the Germans
invented the F-104 as well. There were "big wing" recon planes in WWII, I
guess they were stolen from Germany too.

Gee, the U-2 bears a rather strong resemblence to the F-104, does it?
Let's look at the DFS 228 captured by the US in 1945 and studied for a
year before being given to the British to evaluate (which led to the
Slingsby T-44 concept):

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/dfs228.html

Yeah right, the DFS 228 has NOTHING to do with the U-2. Get real.

Rob

Rob, let me be the first to defend you. Here's the original aircraft that proved to the world
that high aspect ratio wings are good - and it's Nazi-era German!

http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/itf/goe3.htm
http://www.hobbyclub.com/Gal-minimoa.htm

Old February 20th 04, 03:42 AM
Boomer

LOL! you guys REALLY believe the DFS 228 looks like the U-2? what you been
smokin ?! Yes the U-2 fusalage was based on the F-104, confirmed and spoked
about by Kelly Johnson many times. Bifurcated intakes, mid mount wing,
cockpit position all the same as F-104. The nose isnt pointed because it
didnt need to be. They didnt use the "T" tail of Starfighter but few other
fighter sized planes did either. Your DFS 228 bears more resmblance to a
DC-3 (also German no doubt) than to a U-2.

Old February 20th 04, 04:33 AM
Kevin Brooks

robert arndt wrote:

"Boomer" wrote in message

[...]

Gosh, Arndt is right! After comparing his DFS 228 and the above to the U-2,
I can see where he gets the idea that the U-2 bears a "strong resemblence"
to the German design, other than of course the different wing, fuselage,
tail, cockpit, and engine layouts... they both have wings, right?

Brooks

Old February 20th 04, 07:40 AM
Keith Willshaw

robert arndt wrote:

"Boomer" wrote in message

[...]

Do you seriously think high aspect ratio wings werent invented
until 1936 ?

Francis Herbert Wenham at the Aeronautical society in London
built a wind tunnel and demonstrated the advantages of high
aspect wing ratios for gliders in 1871

This was understood by most of the aviation pioneers including Lillienthal

Keith