Aluminium problem

Old March 30th 05, 10:48 AM
Kevin Berlyn

Default Aluminium problem

6061,6063,2004,6060 ..ARGHHHH!

Question if I may.......
On the plans of the Homebuilt I am building it calls for a Boom.. The
material requested is 6063-T3 (Which I cannot find anywhere)
After much discussion the designer noted that if you cannot get 6063-T3 you
can use 6061-T6.. Great .. Until I found out I cannot get the length
required in Australia...
After discussing with an Aluminium supplier here they have suggested that I
can use 6060-T5 as a replacement for the 6063-T3 as the length I require is
available in this grade.

Although he would know more than me about aluminium I still feel
uncomfortable with his advice and my lack of knowledge......
Can anyone advise?.. If 6060-T5 is NOT suitable can you suggest a million
other alternatives I can choose from.....

--
Regards

Kevin Berlyn
www.fighterultralight.com
www.australianultralights.com

Old March 30th 05, 01:59 PM
jc

Kevin Berlyn wrote:

6061,6063,2004,6060 ..ARGHHHH!

Question if I may.......
On the plans of the Homebuilt I am building it calls for a Boom.. The
material requested is 6063-T3 (Which I cannot find anywhere)
After much discussion the designer noted that if you cannot get 6063-T3
you can use 6061-T6.. Great .. Until I found out I cannot get the length
required in Australia...
After discussing with an Aluminium supplier here they have suggested that
I can use 6060-T5 as a replacement for the 6063-T3 as the length I require
is available in this grade.

Although he would know more than me about aluminium I still feel
uncomfortable with his advice and my lack of knowledge......
Can anyone advise?.. If 6060-T5 is NOT suitable can you suggest a million
other alternatives I can choose from.....

Suggest you refer to the designer, suppliers may not know. I am in Oz (now a
3rd world country) and have a degree in metallurgy and would point to the
LEGAL bit after the signature.
--

regards

jc

LEGAL - I don't believe what I wrote and neither should you. Sobriety and/or
sanity of the author is not guaranteed

EMAIL - and are not valid email
addresses. news2x at perentie is valid for a while.
Old March 31st 05, 04:32 AM
Ernest Christley

jc wrote:
Kevin Berlyn wrote:

[...]

I'm with jc on that. I was talking to a metallurgist at a steel company
yesterday. I'm trying to locate a couple 3" disks of 6150, 1/2" thick.

He was suggesting alternatives that would heat treat to a 42 Rockwell
hardness, suggesting several steel. S7 tool steel, for instance. Then
I asked him if it was a spring steel as this was for a landing gear.
The story changed completely, and he eliminated most of the suggestions
he had made. The point is, the metal salesman doesn't know what the
designer was after, and metal has a long list of properties other than
'strength'.

I'm still looking, but I'll not be using anything for my gear legs that
isn't approved by John Dyke.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old April 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Gordon Arnaut

Kevin,

I have the Fighter UL plans too. I just checked your website and I'm glad
you have made that resource available. I emailed Durana with some questions
but he has not responded.

The plans don't show nearly enough detail and the 2024 specified for the
spars is ridiculously expensive. Every ultralight I know uses 6061. For
added strength in critical areas, such as at the strut attach points, double
or even triple-sleeving can be used.

I'm pretty much decided on building a Minimax now because of the problems
with the Fighter plans, but will be checking your website to see how the
builder community is doing. Some interesting solutions being proposed there.

Regards,

Gordon Arnaut
Ontario, Canada

"Kevin Berlyn" wrote in message
[...]

B40 rf interference problem mborgelt Soaring 9 March 13th 05 03:49 PM
GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 03:54 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 07:59 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM
Seat height problem Slav Inger Piloting 7 July 22nd 03 02:31 PM