Last Call - Any Yoke changers out there?

Old August 14th 05, 10:33 PM
John Kunkel

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
nk.net...
What did you use for new pins? Would it not be easier to tap the top and
use an AN bolt instead of a pin? I would not object to a hole at the top.

Heavy wall roll pins seemed like a more trouble free installation and don't
require any extra room for a head.

What does this "Piper conversion kit" do?

Piper offered a conversion kit to change the bow tie yokes to ram's horn, it
was horribly expensive and rarely available. Since I've never seen one I
have no idea how it's configured.

Thanks,
I have a lathe, so I whittled out a couple of fancy looking aircraft
quality aluminum bushings (dimensions long gone from memmory) to adapt
the smaller shafts and repinned them. The hole at the top of the yoke was
filled with plastic aluminum from a tube and sanded to match the
contour. My powder coater assured me that the plastic aluminum filler
would survive high temps of powder coating, there is only a slight,
almost imperceptible dimple caused by shrinkage showing through the
powder coat.

Being an A&P, I simply made a log book entry using the Piper conversion
kit number (gasp) since I was pretty sure nobody had ever seen the real
Piper conversion yokes and so far nobody has said a word about it.

Old August 16th 05, 08:49 PM
nobody

Hi Jim,

You nailed it. I do wonder how many are sold.

I found another future source of this, according to
their web site:
http://www.geronimomontana.com/apache.htm

Down a the bottom of the page, they mention 3 items
of interest in the coming-soon category: Ram's-horn
yokes at $1295 per pair, new engine and fuel gauges
(this sound very interesting), and dual brakes.

As a PA-23 owner, you might want to check this site out
if you've not already seen it.

Ronnie

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hey Ronnie,
I just looked at Avion's site and it looks like it would only cost us
$1200
to do the Aztec! Makes you really wonder if they sell any doesn't it?
Jim

"nobody" wrote in message
.. .
Mike,

I was really hoping you'd get an answer to this. I have
a 1964 Piper Aztec that I'd like to do the same thing
with, but when I looked at doing this before, it was just
too expensive.

Ronnie

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
ink.net...
Still trying to find out if anyone has removed the old bowtie yokes
from
their shafts and replaced them with ram's horns. Lots of folks changed

out
the yoke/shafts as units, but nobody will fess up that they actually
swapped out the yokes themselves.

Since Piper lists the yoke/shaft as one part number, there probably is

no
approved method of separating them.

Looks like I will return the ram's horns with bent shafts I bought from
the boneyard. If you cannot demate/remate them from/with the shafts,

they
are useless.

Thanks,
Mike

Old August 16th 05, 09:54 PM
Jim Burns

Geronimo, as far as I know, is a pretty good outfit. I've talked to them on
the phone a couple times regarding heater upgrades. They've had that note
about the Coming-Soon Ram's horns on their site for quite a while though, so
I'm not holding my breath.

Jim

t...

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hey Ronnie,
I just looked at Avion's site and it looks like it would only cost us
$1200
to do the Aztec! Makes you really wonder if they sell any doesn't it?
Jim

.. .

Old August 17th 05, 02:55 AM

Mike Spera wrote:
Still trying to find out if anyone has removed the old bowtie yokes from
their shafts and replaced them with ram's horns. Lots of folks changed
out the yoke/shafts as units, but nobody will fess up that they actually
swapped out the yokes themselves.

Since Piper lists the yoke/shaft as one part number, there probably is
no approved method of separating them.

Looks like I will return the ram's horns with bent shafts I bought from
the boneyard. If you cannot demate/remate them from/with the shafts,
they are useless.

Thanks,
Mike

I have a '64 vintage pa28-140. I replaced the bowties with cast metal
ram's horn yokes with PTT that I bought from Aircraft spruce. I believe
they called them Navion yokes. We installed them an annual time and
got local FSDO sign off.

Reamed out by Approach Bob Chilcoat Piloting 26 March 29th 05 12:32 AM
Naval Aviators jsmith Piloting 1 March 25th 04 02:56 PM
CH yoke and peddals? Tlewis95 Simulators 8 December 2nd 03 11:58 AM
CH Product Yoke with IP Trainer 6.5 Sanjay Kumar Instrument Flight Rules 2 October 10th 03 07:47 AM
Who do you call? Travis Marlatte Piloting 4 August 21st 03 08:16 AM