Delorme InReach Explorer

Old April 15th 14, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Delorme InReach Explorer

Anyone know anything about this new version of the Delorme InReach? Apparently adds ability to navigate to waypoints and route planning/navigation.

Old April 15th 14, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Link: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/
Old April 15th 14, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:04:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Anyone know anything about this new version of the Delorme InReach? Apparently adds ability to navigate to waypoints and route planning/navigation.

I can't imagine that to be of much use in a glider, unless you had crashed and were trying to walk out.
Old April 15th 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I have updated my DeLorme web page with some details on the new inReach
Explorer
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delor...Reach-Explorer

The inReach Explorer is physically identical to the inReach SE (except for
the color) and offers all the same features as the SE and uses the same data
plans. The only difference is that the Explorer adds the ability to navigate
to waypoints. It will be interesting to see whether the addition of
navigation is worth the extra $80 to glider pilots.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

Old April 15th 14, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:26:22 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:04:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Anyone know anything about this new version of the Delorme InReach? Apparently adds ability to navigate to waypoints and route planning/navigation.

I can't imagine that to be of much use in a glider, unless you had crashed and were trying to walk out.

A potential problem with using a handheld GPS to walk out is the finite battery duration. I prefer a compass and paper topo map when I'm hiking backcountry. The GPS is good to use for a few seconds to obtain current position.
Old April 16th 14, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:04:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Anyone know anything about this new version of the Delorme InReach? Apparently adds ability to navigate to waypoints and route planning/navigation.

I think the Delorme is good for about 4 or 5 days, more if tracking is shut off. If it takes you longer than that to walk out, it better have been at the far end of an almost successful world record distance attempt!
Old April 20th 14, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

And you can always carry a smal external battery.
I wonder how many XC pilots carry external battery for their cell phone in case of landout? Otherwise you likely going to run out of your smartphone battery just before your crew arrives.

Ramy
Old April 20th 14, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

On Sunday, 20 April 2014 20:09:52 UTC+1, Ramy wrote:
And you can always carry a smal external battery.

I wonder how many XC pilots carry external battery for their cell phone in case of landout? Otherwise you likely going to run out of your smartphone battery just before your crew arrives.

Ramy

I solved this problem by having the same connector for my navigation (Kobo) as my phone and my inReach. As I've only ever exceeded the capacity of one battery 3 times in 10 years I'm guessing there will always be something left in the other one to charge them up. I truth I also have a small USB battery pack that is in my landout bag, total cost about £15.00
Old April 20th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 4:10:24 PM UTC-4, 7C wrote:
On Sunday, 20 April 2014 20:09:52 UTC+1, Ramy wrote:

And you can always carry a smal external battery.

I wonder how many XC pilots carry external battery for their cell phone in case of landout? Otherwise you likely going to run out of your smartphone battery just before your crew arrives.

Carry a 12v-5v converter with usb out, wired with same connector as your glider battery. You will almost always have some capacity left which is not useful after you land... Computer shops have 3 in 1 usb cables with multiple common cellphone connectors. Mine has samsung, iPhone 4 and 5 (I can even offer charges to other pilots in the same field).

Old April 21st 14, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not about the lithium battery, but about the cell phone.

First, I turn my phone off before takeoff. This saves a lot of battery.

Second, since I power my Dell Streak via a switch controlled 12v power
connector (cigarette lighter) and a 12v to USB converter, I bought a twin
jack USB converter so that I can charge my cell in flight off the ship's
batteries (if I want to) and keep my Streak charged. I keep a charge cable
for my phone connected and coiled up so if I land out, I can make sure the
phone is fully charged. I also carry spare batteries for the Spot.

"Ramy" wrote in message
And you can always carry a smal external battery.
I wonder how many XC pilots carry external battery for their cell phone in
case of landout? Otherwise you likely going to run out of your smartphone
battery just before your crew arrives.

Ramy

DeLorme InReach info Sean F (F2) Soaring 2 July 12th 13 03:17 PM
DeLorme inReach SE units now in stock Paul Remde Soaring 1 July 4th 13 01:05 AM
DeLorme inReach Paul Remde Soaring 8 February 12th 13 07:26 PM
Any user reports on Delorme Inreach? Steve Koerner Soaring 8 March 16th 12 06:51 PM
More on Delorme InReach Satellite Tracker Frank Paynter[_2_] Soaring 12 October 8th 11 05:50 AM