Kobo Aura refresh rate?

Old June 23rd 15, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Kobo Aura refresh rate?

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:56:42 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
A somewhat related question - has anyone run into problems with a Kobo (Kobo Mini) washing out in direct sunlight due to overheating? I flew with one for the first time in a club glider earlier this month running TopHat on a Kobo Mini. The Kobo was secured via a suction mount to the canopy. I liked it quite a bit, until the display began to become fainter and fainter. At some point, the touch screen became unresponsive. Luckily, I had a backup copy running on my HTC One which worked fine.

Some Googling suggests that some Kobo Minis may have issues with long periods in direct sunlight. Anyone in the gliding community care to comment?

P3

This might have been a low battery problem rather than a screen heat issue. If the battery is at it's end the Kobo will screen freeze and nothing works after that.

Gary

Old June 23rd 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

This might have been a low battery problem rather than a screen heat issue. If the battery is at it's end the Kobo will screen freeze and nothing works after that.

I've had problems with the screen locking - the touch screen is infrared sensor and I think sometimes the sun triggers it to believe a long touch on the screen has happened. Holding my finger on the screen for a few seconds will unlock it again. When this happens a little lock symbol is displayed.

Mel
Old June 26th 15, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Crabb

On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 20:06:41 UTC+1, 7C wrote:
This might have been a low battery problem rather than a screen heat issue. If the battery is at it's end the Kobo will screen freeze and nothing works after that.

I've had problems with the screen locking - the touch screen is infrared sensor and I think sometimes the sun triggers it to believe a long touch on the screen has happened. Holding my finger on the screen for a few seconds will unlock it again. When this happens a little lock symbol is displayed.

Mel

I've had screen locking occur from time to time - I got round it by opening up the rear case and drilling a small hole in the rear cover directly over the reset button hole ( visible when the rear cover is removed ) - I then put a cut down drawing pin through the holes with a bit of sticky tape over it. In flight I can now give the drawing pin a "squeeze" which does a "reset" on the kobo.

I'll try the finger hold on the screen

The only thing I miss on the kobo is an audible airspace warning. the airspace cross section view in xcsoar is very effective.

Papa3 link to tophat gives the best details for setting up to use power and gps data through the USB port.

Paul.
Old June 26th 15, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi, for those of you that used Kobo Mini, what GPS do you suggest and how difficult is to connect to Kobo?
Thank you in advance,
Sergio
Old June 27th 15, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Pretorius

Sergio I haven't yet had a Kobo to try this on but my best information points to this plan:

.. Run XCSoar on a Kobo. Set it up to receive GPS data by TCP over a wifi link. I've tested this so I know XCSoar can do it.
.. Run an app called BlueNMEA on my Samsung Galaxy S2. This apparently lets you output GPS signal over wifi. I haven't tested this part.
.. Have a portable battery available in the cockpit to charge the S2 (or the Kobo) via usb if it runs out of power... though I'm expecting it to last at least 2 hours because the screen can stay off.
Old June 27th 15, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Johan Pretorius

Oh also... I plan to test this on the the ground first as I've had problems in the past with radio interference from setups like this (specifically with the USB charging). If someone who knows about such things can tell us all how best to avoid that problem, I for one would be grateful.
Old June 29th 15, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PBA

I'm a diehard Kobo/top hat fan.
If you haven't used an ereader screen in a glider, you are in for a treat.

I just replaced my first kobo (left other in rental car )
and my new (old stock) kobo has the sunlight issue. It's becoming very light during the flight to almost unreadable. This is especially bad with high temperatures. I did not have this problem with my previous kobo so I think this is a QC issue.

I have my kobo wired (soldered) to a colibri II. This is an amazing setup that gives you everything you need from a moving map + IGC approval for badge/comp/record flying. The kobo charges the colibri and the whole unit is charged from a micro USB.

I have noticed the radio inference if I hold this unit close to my Dittel radio, doesn't effect it unless I hold it close though so it's a non issue for the most part.

Old June 29th 15, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 1:14:37 PM UTC-4, PBA wrote:
I'm a diehard Kobo/top hat fan.
If you haven't used an ereader screen in a glider, you are in for a treat..

I just replaced my first kobo (left other in rental car )
and my new (old stock) kobo has the sunlight issue. It's becoming very light during the flight to almost unreadable. This is especially bad with high temperatures. I did not have this problem with my previous kobo so I think this is a QC issue.

I have my kobo wired (soldered) to a colibri II. This is an amazing setup that gives you everything you need from a moving map + IGC approval for badge/comp/record flying. The kobo charges the colibri and the whole unit is charged from a micro USB.

I have noticed the radio inference if I hold this unit close to my Dittel radio, doesn't effect it unless I hold it close though so it's a non issue for the most part.

Glad I wasn't the only one with the sunlight issue. I've built a temporary shade out of black cardboard. I'll test this out a few more times before claiming victory, but it seemed to help a lot in the two flights where I used the prototype version (i.e. the top of a box taped to the mount with wing tape).
Old June 29th 15, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Glad I wasn't the only one with the sunlight issue. I've built a temporary shade out of black cardboard. I'll test this out a few more times before claiming victory, but it seemed to help a lot in the two flights where I used the prototype version (i.e. the top of a box taped to the mount with wing tape).

Try "white/silver", better to reflect sunlight. If need be, pick which color on which side of the shield........

Hope it does not work out, so I can help out VS in the GC...... LOL........ (jk)....

Running Top Hat on Kobo mini Ben S Soaring 11 July 21st 15 04:00 PM
Color Kobo Dan Marotta Soaring 3 October 25th 14 11:10 PM
Any experience with aura/optical migraine? Don Tuite Piloting 1 July 6th 07 02:38 AM
Pls refresh, flying clubs at FRG, ISP, HWV, HPN? Michael Robbins Piloting 3 December 13th 06 07:42 PM
Pls refresh, flying clubs at FRG, ISP, HWV, HPN? Michael Robbins Instrument Flight Rules 3 December 13th 06 07:42 PM