Knobs on the right instead of the left?

Old February 22nd 16, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default Knobs on the right instead of the left?

I'm trying to figure out why some variometer manufacturers place the knobs on the right instead of the left of their instrumentation.
Ilec, LXNav and Butterfly/Air Avionics place their knobs on the right.
ClearNav place them on the top left and bottom right.

Considering that most people fly gliders with their right hands on the stick and their left hand moves around the cockpit for flaps, airbrake, cable release etc. it seems to be counter intuitive to have the knobs on the right as operating right handed instruments with one's left hand obscures the instrument when making adjustments.
The alternative is to keep swapping the hand holding the stick in order to use one's right hand on instrumentation. Is swapping hands what most pilots prefer doing? Personally I'd rather teach my left hand new tricks.

Cambridge (302), LX Navigation (EOS) and Winter Instruments place the knobs on bottom left which leads me to the conclusion that either they did more research into cockpit layout and ergonomics than the other manufacturers, or pilots really prefer using their right hands for most tasks.

Alternatively this is a way for manufacturers to promote the sales of their "remote sticks".
Old February 23rd 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 5:19:05 AM UTC-8, Surge wrote:
[...]

+1 I was wondering the same thing after purchasing the S80. Buttons and particularly the knobs on the right make selecting suprisingly awkward for me.
Old February 23rd 16, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 8:19:05 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
[...]

OK, "Devil's advocate"......

Maybe it's due to how the designers lay out their panel (do they put vario units to the left or right?).
Maybe it's due to the designer being a "lefty" or "righty".

Think of cars, some put a speedo "front & center", others put a tach "front & center". Some may be "design", some may be "designer preference", some may be "marketing" (shudder....).....

I can't answer the original question, but maybe allow you to think about options/considerations "other than your's".
Old February 24th 16, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:24:54 -0800, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
wrote:

I can't answer the original question, but maybe allow you to think about
options/considerations "other than your's".

Another point to think about it the distance between knobs on adjacent
instruments. On the centre bottom row on my Libelle's panel I the
innermost two instruments are an 80mm SDI C4 vario and 57mm Dittel KRT2
radio. The vario and radio are on either side of the centre line. The
vario has two knobs on its lower corners (left selects item, right
changes the setting) while the radio has its one knob on its lower right
corner. I have no problem working both instruments left handed. However,
if the radio's knob was on the left I would probably have a problem
because it would be less than 25mm (1") from the right knob on the vario.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old February 24th 16, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Our club's Grob 103A has a radio with
toggles adjacent to the release and my big
mitt.

My after release check now includes
checking the radio is still on and the
frequency hasn't changed.

Old February 24th 16, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

Considering that most people fly gliders with their right hands on the stick and their left hand moves around the cockpit for flaps, airbrake, cable release etc. it seems to be counter intuitive to have the knobs on the right as operating right handed instruments with one's left hand obscures the instrument when making adjustments.

I normally adjust instruments with my right hand - I am right handed. I'd say how you use your instrument is a very personal preference.
Old February 24th 16, 09:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Vario needle points to left and scale is usually not full 360 degrees, only room left for knobs and buttons is usually on the right side of intrument. When reaching for 57mm dial at arms length, it makes only academic difference if knobs are few centimeters to the left or right.

If I were avionics manufacturer, I would develop simple bluetooth remote for instruments, one that you can stick to any convenient location at cockpit.. Shouldn't be difficult or expensive.
Old February 24th 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 1:11:15 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
Vario needle points to left and scale is usually not full 360 degrees, only room left for knobs and buttons is usually on the right side of intrument. When reaching for 57mm dial at arms length, it makes only academic difference if knobs are few centimeters to the left or right.

If I were avionics manufacturer, I would develop simple bluetooth remote for instruments, one that you can stick to any convenient location at cockpit. Shouldn't be difficult or expensive.

Ah, that is it isn't it, with instruments with a needle there is more room for the display/display can be larger when knobs are on the right!
Old February 28th 16, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 8:19:05 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why some variometer manufacturers place the knobs
on the right instead of the left of their instrumentation....

Considering that most people fly gliders with their right hands on the
stick and their left hand moves around the cockpit for flaps, airbrake,
cable release etc. it seems to be counter intuitive to have the knobs on
the right as operating right handed instruments with one's left hand
obscures the instrument when making adjustments.
The alternative is to keep swapping the hand holding the stick in order
to use one's right hand on instrumentation. Is swapping hands what most
pilots prefer doing? Personally I'd rather teach my left hand new tricks.

Good question!
First, for 270 degree analog displays as varios, the only readily available
position is center right or possibly corners.

The instruments I designed are intended to be easily usable:
- with the left hand
- wearing gloves
- in turbulence
Using knobs makes it much faster to make selections (beats
pecking at buttons with arm out-stretched as in flight).
Knobs cost more and present mechanical challenges, but are
quicker and much easier in turbulence...

Hope that helps answer your question,
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 28th 16, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 28 February 2016 18:19:36 UTC+2, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 8:19:05 AM UTC-5, Surge wrote:
Using knobs makes it much faster to make selections (beats
pecking at buttons with arm out-stretched as in flight).
Knobs cost more and present mechanical challenges, but are
quicker and much easier in turbulence...

....and setting the volume should be always done with knob, there is simply no excuse for making volume adjustment in any other way.