PZL compass repair

Old November 27th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PZL compass repair

I have a PZL K-13 compass that's leaking. Here's a photo of the
compass:
http://www.soarbfss.org/scgi-bin/gal...0/acc.jpg.html

This summer, I had the canopy of my ASH-26E open and it focused the sun
onto the compass and melted a hole in the front. Luckily it was in the
black painted area of the plastic, so I repaired it with some epoxy and
then repainted it. I then fully filled it with compass fluid using the
fill hole on the back.

Unfortunately, it now leaks around the circular "base" of where the the
plastic "bubble" is attached to the back. Maybe there's an O-ring seal
in there?

The back has two holes that I assume are for a spanner wrench and the
ring attaching the plastic part to the base also has some notches that
I suppose are for a special wrench as well.
I've put a pair of "c clip" pliers in the holes on the back and tried
to unscrew the outer ring by hand but it's too tight and I'm afraid to
put too much pressure on it.

Any suggestions either how to take it apart or where in the USA to send
it?

Thanks

-Tom

Old November 27th 05, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Tom - I've had a number of these compasses, and every one
leaked like this after a few years. Even without burning a hole
in the top ;-) These are great when they work but I've been
thinking of switching to the big old Airpaths...

Anybody out there got advice on this ?

Thanks !
Best Regards, Dave

Old November 28th 05, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Fellas,

I highly recommend a Hamilton vertical card compass, easily swung and
never a leak. I also like the planform display. I've given up on the
old style compass, always leaking and not legal to fix or refill
yourself. They're pricey, but once you buy it, you're done messing with
compasses.

Anubody ever had problems with a Hamilton?

Jim

www.jimphoenix.com

Old November 28th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, it wouldn't rotate more than about 120 degrees. Bought a new Airpath,
used solely as a backup should the GPS and moving map fail

Mitch Deutsch.

"jphoenix" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Old November 28th 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

5Z wrote:
I have a PZL K-13 compass that's leaking. Here's a photo of the
compass:
http://www.soarbfss.org/scgi-bin/gal...0/acc.jpg.html

Hello Tom:
I had the leak problem, bought a new one from Tim or Rex or
someone.... Hope not to annoy people with a "plug".
Anyone who has seen your panel would know the vertical card won't
fit...
But at least it wouldn't hide the towplane!
Jim

Old November 28th 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Anubody ever had problems with a Hamilton?

A number of reports where the needle stuck and you have to tap the
instruments to free it. I have an Airpath 2300 but can't tell you the
last time I actually looked at it.

Tony V.
Old November 28th 05, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Jim - I have had a Hamilton and replaced it with a PZL.
The Hamilton is, because of its design, very sensitive to
pitch attitude, and consequently quite inaccurate. This is
especially true at higher lattitudes with steeper dip. The
problem is that mechanically the sensing element can't
really stay level.

Pick a point on the horizon heading East or West. Note
the exact compass reading at 45 knots. Now stabilize the
airspeed at 110 knots and see what the compass reads.

It does look nice though !
Best Regards, Dave

Old November 28th 05, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dave,

That's interesting, I'll give it a try. I'm at a higher latitude and I
do like to have a working compass just in case the un-thinkable happens
someday. Might have to put one of my old, leaky whiskey units back in.
:-(

Jim

Old November 28th 05, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I think PZL still produces instruments. There web site is he
http://www.pzl.com.pl/en/produkty/os...wigacyjne.html
or
http://www.pzl.com.pl/

I sell the Airpath fluid filled compasses (extremely popular in all
aircraft) and the PAI-700 vertical card compasses. I had one customer that
said he loves the PAI-700 and would never use anything else in his gliders.
The display is very intuitive - much easier to read at a glance than the
Airpath compasses.

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/compasses.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

oups.com...

Old November 28th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,
I normally do not post about my instrument sales business, however, it
seems I am the only supplier that has continued to stock the PZL K13a
compass. The company that distributes this compass changed hands 2
years ago and the prices have been adjusted significantly. $389.00.
This makes it the most expensive whisley compass on the market but it
also has some unique features... size, mounting options, and quality.

I have found that most of the leaking issues are due to burning a hole
in it, or over tightening the mounting ring which causes a stress riser
as the compass body expands when heated. If you have a PZL compass
installed, you may want to check the tension on the band. Shoud just
be snugged to hold it from slipping.

The vertical card compasses are very sensitive to binding caused by
mounting with a stress load. Many glider instrument panels are very
thin with only 2-3 layers of light carbon cloth. When populated with a
full complement of instruments, each instrument becomes a structural
component. If the vertical card compass is one of these, there may be
a chance that it will become disformed slightly especially with changes
in temp thus it will hang up. It is easier to read when it is stuck!!

Rex
Williams Soaring Center

Calibrate? Repair? Adjust? RST Engineering Owning 3 April 4th 05 01:41 PM
Canopy crack repair Pete Brown Soaring 0 May 18th 04 03:09 AM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 05:24 AM
Bubble Face Compass Repair Gene Hetsel Restoration 1 January 9th 04 05:59 AM