Considerations for joining flying club

Old September 13th 04, 11:04 PM
Marty Ross

Default Considerations for joining flying club

I'm considering joining a flying club this week. This one's the closest
club to where I live, the members, the planes, and the online scheduling
system seem to be great, and I think I'm ready to make the commitment (e.g.,
buy a share in the fleet).

Since I've never joined a club before (have always rented from the FBO where
I trained), I wanted to solicit tips or important questions to ask before
paying the application fee (e.g. based on hindsight of those now in clubs)??

Thanks for any/all useful advice!

Also, links to "backgrounder" articles about flying clubs, their typical
organizational and accounting structure or the like will also be
appreciated...

Old September 13th 04, 11:48 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

Get full disclosure on all of the club's financial issues at the moment.
The club that I joined was being sued by a former employee who had been
injured at work. That much I knew before I joined. What I did not know was
that the sitting president had neglected to pay the bill for the worker's
compensation insurance, and that the club would have to fund this issue all
on its own. I also did not know that the club had stopped paying rent on
its hangar for more than a year before I signed up. I also did not know
that the "refundable" deposit that all new members payed to join was getting
sent right out the door to pay the back rent on said hangar.

Now that I'm in, and have already paid these "fees", and "deposits", and a
few other "assessments", I feel compelled to make a go of things and am even
on the board. We are trying to clean things up as much as we can, since all
of us will lose money if we let the club fail. But I do dearly wish that I
had known these things before I signed up.

The best advice is to talk to people who have been there a while, but who
are not involved in the day-to-day running of the club. Ask them how things
are going. If you can, track down some people who have recently left the
club.

---

Old September 14th 04, 07:55 PM
Michael

"Marty Ross" wrote
Thanks for any/all useful advice!

Get all the rules up front, and find out what it takes to have new
rules made. My experience with clubs has been that the people who
have the pathological need to make rules always seem to find their way
into club positions where they can. The result is that when you want
to do something fun and challenging, you find it's against club rules.

This does not always happen - some clubs seem to be immune - so find
out what kind you are dealing with before you drop the dollars.

Michael
Old September 14th 04, 08:36 PM
Andrew Gideon

Michael wrote:

The result is that when you want
to do something fun and challenging, you find it's against club rules.

Can you provide an example of something fun and challenging that is against
some club's rule? That seems rather against the idea of a club (as opposed
to an FBO).

I'm trying to picture this. For example, I do know that at least one of the
FBOs where I've previously rented prohibited landing on grass. But the
club to which I belong merely requires a "grass field checkout".

What else?

Still, it is also a good idea to check out all of the rules. Pay special
attention to insurance. That is, are members covered or is just the club.
Is there a deductable for which a member would be responsible, and how is
that responsibility determined?

Are there any currency requirements beyond that of the FAA? We do have some
in our club, but (not too surprisingly) these are largely dictated by
insurance.

- Andrew

Old September 14th 04, 08:59 PM
Mitty

On 9/13/04 5:48 PM, Geoffrey Barnes wrote the following:
Get full disclosure on all of the club's financial issues at the moment.

snip
All that he said, plus get and read the bylaws. Get and read the
insurance policy or policies. Get and read the tax return. Make sure
you understand what is required of you currency, dues, assessments,
etc. Find out how frequently the club has made assessments in the past.

Understand the reality of selling your membership: Club sells it? you
sell it? what price? what is the average marketing period? etc.

Clubs are a great thing but you are entering into a significant legal
relationship and need to know the details of it.
Old September 14th 04, 09:40 PM
Roy Smith

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Michael wrote:

The result is that when you want
to do something fun and challenging, you find it's against club rules.

Can you provide an example of something fun and challenging that is against
some club's rule? That seems rather against the idea of a club (as opposed
to an FBO).

In general, I would expect a club to have less restrictive rules than an
FBO, but they'll still have rules. Nobody wants other club members to
be reckless with the airplanes, and it is inevitable that within any
group of people, there will be different opinions on where "fun and
challenging" leaves off and "reckless" begins.

I'm trying to picture this. For example, I do know that at least one of the
FBOs where I've previously rented prohibited landing on grass. But the
club to which I belong merely requires a "grass field checkout".

My club used to have no rule about grass at all. A few years back,
somebody brought our Arrow back covered with grass stains. A discussion
ensued, and we ended up passing a rule forbidding landing any of our
retracts on a non-paved runway. Oddly enough, we don't require any
special checkout for grass.

Most rules come about because at one time in the past, somebody did
something which other people considered unacceptable and they wanted to
try and prevent it from happening again. Congress does this, the FAA
does this, FBO's do it, and there's no reason to be surprised when clubs
do it too. It's the way life works.

I would certainly urge anybody who is thinking of joining a club to read
all the rules carefully before joining. If they forbid or regulate
something you want to do, you'll either have to forgo your particular
desire, or find another club. But a lot better to know the score up
front than to get a nasty phone call from the club president informing
you that you've broken the rules after the fact.
Old September 14th 04, 10:19 PM
Andrew Gideon

Roy Smith wrote:

My club used to have no rule about grass at all. A few years back,
somebody brought our Arrow back covered with grass stains. A discussion
ensued, and we ended up passing a rule forbidding landing any of our
retracts on a non-paved runway. Oddly enough, we don't require any
special checkout for grass.

That's right, I forgot: only the 172s can be landed on grass, and only if
there are no wheel-pants in place.

I would certainly urge anybody who is thinking of joining a club to read
all the rules carefully before joining. If they forbid or regulate
something you want to do, you'll either have to forgo your particular
desire, or find another club.

Well...

I want to do aerobatics, but none of the club planes can. So I go beyond
the club's airplanes for this...and a number of us in the club do so.

But I know what you mean, and you are right. I'm just trying to get a
picture of what some of these things might be. They might give me some new
ideas grin.

- Andrew

Old September 14th 04, 10:29 PM
Marty Ross

Thanks to everybody who has chimed in on this so far - it's been interesting
and educational!

k.net...

Old September 14th 04, 11:10 PM
Roy Smith

Andrew Gideon wrote:
I'm just trying to get a picture of what some of these things might
be. They might give me some new ideas grin.

Well, common rules various clubs impose on their members include:

Restrictions on non-paved runways.
Minimum runway lengths.
Per-type (or even per-airplane) checkouts.
Instrument checkouts.
Night checkouts.
Prohibition of acrobatics.
Prohibition of formation flight.
Recurrent training or checkouts.
Stricter-than-FAA currency requirements.
Scheduling quotas.
Restrictions on flying from the right seat.
Restrictions on which instructors you can use.
Requirements to participate in club activities.
Prohibition against smoking in the airplanes.
Requirements to maintain your own insurance.

There's no way to know which particular bugs a particular club has up
their collective butt without reading the rules before you hand over
your check.

It's probably universal that flying clubs prohibit the use of their
aircraft for commercial or for-hire operation.
Old September 14th 04, 11:32 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Roy Smith said:
Well, common rules various clubs impose on their members include:
Per-type (or even per-airplane) checkouts.
Prohibition of acrobatics.
Stricter-than-FAA currency requirements.
Scheduling quotas.
Restrictions on which instructors you can use.
Prohibition against smoking in the airplanes.

Those are the only ones that apply to our club. There are additional
rules against allowing non-members fly - if you get weathered in
somewhere, you can get an instrument rated pilot to fly you home in the
plane, but if you have to abandon the plane only a CFII or better can fly
it home. And you have to pay for it.

And most of them are imposed by the insurance company, except the smoking
one and the scheduling quotas. The smoking and scheduling quotas go along
with the fact that a flying club is basically a bunch of people sharing
their toys, so don't **** it up for everybody else. Don't leave junk in
the plane, report any squawks promptly, don't forget to cancel your
reservations as soon as you know you're not going to use the plane, and
leave the plane as you found it.

BTW: Unlike most of the other flying clubs mentioned here, ours doesn't
sell you a share. The initiation fee is only $795, but you don't get any
of it back if you quit.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Hi, I'm Marc Andreesen, and after a hard day working on our ****-poor