Ok then, how about the Mosquito?

Old January 9th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Upp

Default Ok then, how about the Mosquito?

Finally making headway after about twenty years from concept. Even have
a turbine version under test at the moment.
http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/turbine.asp

Maybe even a competitor to the Helicycle soon even though complexity
less than half of Helicycle. Most likely twice as pricey though I'll
guess.

Oh well, won't be as much controversy with these.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to
look at how many want in... And how many want out."
-Tony Blair-

Old January 9th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Bob Upp wrote:
Finally making headway after about twenty years from concept. Even
have a turbine version under test at the moment.
http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/turbine.asp

Maybe even a competitor to the Helicycle soon even though complexity
less than half of Helicycle. Most likely twice as pricey though I'll
guess.

Oh well, won't be as much controversy with these.

It is a neat little helicopter. I'd like to know how many are flying by
individual owners and see some more feed back from them. I did notice that
they have added the option for a factory built one for just $4500 more than
the kit cost.

Old January 9th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Well I own and fly a Baby Belle helicopter. I also publish the Experimental
Helo Magazine. I expect my position as a magazine publisher got me the
opportunity to try the Mosquito. Dwight Junkin, who is involved in the
Mosquito via the fiberglass fuselage, offered to show me his bird in the
air. After a circuit or two, he landed and asked me if I would like to try
it!! Whoo Haa!! How do you get checked out in a little single seat
helicopter that can qualify as an Ultralight? Dwight said 6,000 engine rpm
and 1600 EGT and backed away from the bird. Expecting a real sensitive
little bugger I carefully applied power. Approximately 15-20 seconds later
I was in a stable hover just setting there. I found the little bugger
easier to hover than my Baby Belle. I hover taxied the ship around the
field a couple of times and took it back to Dwight. If my wife hadn't said
"Two Seats" and wanted to take dual in the helicopter, I would probably have
one of these little buggers. I'm not fond of the two stroke engines (I used
to race motorcycles) but the current little two stroke engine with the
ceramic coated pistons seems to be holding up quite well. The factory is
also pursuing a 4 stroke engine which will probably take the little ship out
of the Ultralight category. While definitely NOT advisable, there are at
least three people who taught themselves to fly the Mosquito without any
prior helicopter time. This, while not the smartest move in town indicates
how user friendly the little ship is. People that I've talked to say the
Mosquito is quite a bit easier to fly than the R-22.
Hell the more I talk about the Mosquito and remember my experience, the more
I want one. Look out budget.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

Old January 9th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
The factory is also pursuing a 4 stroke
engine which will probably take the little ship out of the Ultralight
category. While definitely NOT advisable, there are at least three
people who taught themselves to fly the Mosquito without any prior
helicopter time. This, while not the smartest move in town indicates
how user friendly the little ship is. People that I've talked to say
the Mosquito is quite a bit easier to fly than the R-22. Hell the
more I talk about the Mosquito and remember my experience, the more I
want one. Look out budget.

I've been considering the Mosquito as a next project after the complition of
my 601XL. I even ordered the video and sample plans. It looks good on video
but then so did the Mini-500. I was a little disapointed that the video
didn't show any of the construction.

As for those that taught themselves to fly in it they are nuts. Seeing as
the company will give you $2000 off the cost if you show some training it
just plain crazy.

Old January 10th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

[...]

It sounds like it has a fair amount of rotor inertia for its size, so it
must autorotate well too? An ultralight helicopter with a reliable 4
stroke and that autorotates well would be just the ticket.

Now, as a normal helicopter person, would *you* go within 50 feet of an
AeroScooter?
Old January 10th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Yes I would like to try hovering the AirScooter at no higher than 3' and
hover taxi it at a walking pace. I sure wouldn't pay the less than
$50,000 for the opportunity.

--
Stuart Fields