PZL compass repair - Tom ?

Old June 2nd 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PZL compass repair - Tom ?

OK, my mechanic says I need a compass.
I told him the mountains haven't hardly moved
at all, but he was unmoved as well.

Tom, were you able to stop yours leaking ?

Enquiring minds want to know,
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

Old June 2nd 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dave,

I've been using a small PZL now for 3 years with no leaks.

It's actually my second one - the first also didn't leak, but the
window got all blurry (UV, moisture, bugs, plants in the liquid?) so I
had to replace it. But it didn't leak either.

I do mount mine a bit differently, against the face of the panel,
without using the supplied mount. Don't know if that makes any
difference.

And it actually came in handy once when the visibility was so bad here
in S IL that I had to fly a compass heading to make it home. Nice to
have to crosscheck the magic boxes.

Kirk

Old June 2nd 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also, what's the correct fluid ?
To avoid fogging the window or worse ?
Thanks Tom !

A great memory: Vaunted glider-guider demonstrating
instruments to Dave and friends in our infancy:

"Here lads is how you how you top off a compass.
Make sure you've got the right type of fluid. Here
we use type XYZ, carefully filling with a syringe".

Hard to recall which was more amazing - the
numbers gently floating off the compass ball
more or less intact like some weird power-point
animation, or the look on said
vaunted glider-guider's face...

Remember Todd - you were there, right ?

5Z wrote:
wrote:
Tom, were you able to stop yours leaking ?

Yes. I followed Bumper's advice from a different thread and got some
Loctite Depend 330. I built a fillet around the threaded back and so
far it's holding up. I also made sure to only fill it enough so the
air bubble doesn't show in a normal attitude.

-Tom

Old June 2nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Also, what's the correct fluid ?
To avoid fogging the window or worse ?

I used compass fluid ordered from Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../repairkit.php

Still have most of the quart left after filling the compass several
times, so pint should do ya!

-Tom

Old June 3rd 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yup, certainly before power-point but I couldn't
figure out how else to describe that effect.
I was placing spacewar on an Imlac graphics
system, IIRC predates PDP-11 but later
than the PDP-1.

We're turning into old farts.

See ya, Dave

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
wrote:

Hard to recall which was more amazing - the
numbers gently floating off the compass ball
more or less intact like some weird power-point
animation, or the look on said
vaunted glider-guider's face...

Remember Todd - you were there, right ?

Yes, a cherished memory, but somewhat before Power-Point
animations. IIRC, at that time, we were still sneaking in
and using the PDP-11 to play spacewar.
--
T o d d P a t t i s t - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old June 3rd 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PZL compass repair - Tom ? Bumper ?

Hi Tom - Two more questions:

Yours was definitely leaking out the threads
in the back ?

Loctite 330 costs more than our gliders.
From the Loctite product data it looks like

good-ole Loctite 243 is more appropriate
in any case - What am I missing here ?

Thanks for the help !
Best Regards, Dave

PZL compass repair 5Z Soaring 16 November 30th 05 11:40 PM
Calibrate? Repair? Adjust? RST Engineering Owning 3 April 4th 05 01:41 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 04:24 AM
Bubble Face Compass Repair Gene Hetsel Restoration 1 January 9th 04 04:59 AM