Silver Distance

Old June 13th 04, 12:56 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Nyal,

I think you need to do the 50k flight again, but this
time, do it in something that will make you REALLY
work for those 50k's. Flying that distance in a TG-3A
seems to be defeating the ideals of the FAI and/or
the other 'originators' of the Badges as we know them
today. :-)

You might has well have been in an LS8-18. Or, a 2-22.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 13:36 12 June 2004, Nyal Williams wrote:
TG-3A, Ser. No. 88, N60434, from Advance, NC (Strawberry
Hill) to
Salisbury, NC. 64 miles. 19 No trailer - had to be
careful.
Aero-retrieve non-event.

Anyone know why Glider Pilot Net can't retrieve latest
50 or so
messages?

stephanevdv wrote in message news:...
In a Ka-8, in Belgium. No electronics (variometer,
radio, gps) at all.
Flew to a goal 59 km away. Intended to take a photograph
and fly back,
but landed on the goal airfield. It was a

Old June 13th 04, 02:53 PM
Martin Gregorie

On 9 Jun 2004 13:26:28 GMT, Graham Hodgson
wrote:

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

SZD Junior, Gransden Lodge to Rattlesden (68 km) in blue conditions
off a winch launch. Took 3.5 hours to do it.

I used an EW model D logger driven off a GPS II+ to record the flight.
I navigated by map, not the GPS.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old June 14th 04, 12:36 AM
Nyal Williams

Ray,

You're just jealous! The muscles I developed working
those ailerons are long gone.

Old June 14th 04, 04:31 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Graham Hodgson wrote:

What aircraft did you do your silver distance qualifying
50k flight in?

Don't have any badges.

I have, however, been to 18,000 ft in a Club Libelle, and won a 200+ km
contest task in thermals in a PW-5.

I did intend to claim a 50k once, but despite my making it VERY clear to
the pharmacist that I wished my negatives to remain uncut, and receiving
their assurance that would be no problem, they proceeded to cut my
negatives. I haven't bothered again ... I just go flying instead.

-- Bruce
Old June 14th 04, 09:50 AM
Janos Bauer

Mark James Boyd wrote:
1-26 (alt)
PW-5 (dur and dist)

I must say the 5 hour duration part of the
Silver seems like a MUCH harder task than
the alt or dist.

No matter what glider you fly, five hours is
still five hours. At the point I did it, it
was the longest I had ever continuously
piloted any aircraft, despite over 1500 flight hours
before that (also with no bathroom).

I agree, who can fly 5 hours probably can do 300k or even 500k in a
"hot" ship.

/Janos
Old June 14th 04, 09:52 AM
Mark James Boyd

1-26 (alt)
PW-5 (dur and dist)

I must say the 5 hour duration part of the
Silver seems like a MUCH harder task than
the alt or dist.

No matter what glider you fly, five hours is
still five hours. At the point I did it, it
was the longest I had ever continuously
piloted any aircraft, despite over 1500 flight hours
before that (also with no bathroom).

Getting all that "official" is another matter.
It took me six tries to get credit for the 50km
distance, and it was ultimately for a 150KM+ flight...

silly rules...
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old June 14th 04, 07:28 PM
Jim Vincent

I agree, who can fly 5 hours probably can do 300k or even 500k in a
"hot" ship.

I differ with you there. Each places a different demand on the skills of the
pilot.

A five hour flight can be done "flag poling" around the home field with no fear
of landing out. The only challenge is finding the next thermal, which are
probably all house thermals, relieving your bladder, and staying comfortable.

A cross country flight requires all these elements, plus navigation, strategy,
and technique.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old June 14th 04, 09:41 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Janos Bauer
writes
Mark James Boyd wrote:
1-26 (alt)
PW-5 (dur and dist)

I must say the 5 hour duration part of the
Silver seems like a MUCH harder task than
the alt or dist.

No matter what glider you fly, five hours is
still five hours. At the point I did it, it
was the longest I had ever continuously
piloted any aircraft, despite over 1500 flight hours
before that (also with no bathroom).

I agree, who can fly 5 hours probably can do 300k or even 500k in a
"hot" ship.

/Janos

OTOH it is possible to do 5 hours on a ridge. Even a low one, 200ft
high. Like at Dunstable. Even in a Tutor.

Not that I did that you understand. Mine was Tibenham to Swanton
Morley, 24 miles in all. As someone said at the time, it's quicker by
bus.
What? Oh yes. Distance was Tibenham to Duxford, 82Km. In the only
Skylark 4 that has its own web-site.
http://members.aol.com/williamsmf/index.htm
--
Mike Lindsay
Old June 15th 04, 09:09 AM
Janos Bauer

Jim Vincent wrote:
I agree, who can fly 5 hours probably can do 300k or even 500k in a
"hot" ship.

I differ with you there. Each places a different demand on the skills of the
pilot.

A five hour flight can be done "flag poling" around the home field with no fear
of landing out. The only challenge is finding the next thermal, which are
probably all house thermals, relieving your bladder, and staying comfortable.

A cross country flight requires all these elements, plus navigation, strategy,
and technique.

What about GPS and glide computers? All you have to do is to believe
what they tell you. So navigation and strategy more or less sorted out.
If we manage to remove the fear of outlanding we are at the same task.
Keep the glider in the air more than 5 hours but choose your next
thermal at a certain direction.
Let's tell the truth: it's not as complicated as most pilots tend to
state it

/Janos