Bible-beater pilots

Old November 24th 03, 05:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Excellent. Thanks for adding a thought-provoking post to this thread.

Cool! Does that mean I get to stay one night free at the Alexiz Park Inn?

Depends. What do you fly?

We might be able to work out a trade? :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 03, 05:57 PM
Andrew Gideon

David Hill wrote:

I figure religions are so important to so many people, that the need for
religion must spring from some basic need common to all people. My
theory is that there is a force in the universe, that I can only
describe as "The Tendency Toward Organization", that is a counter to
Entropy (the tendency toward dissolution or chaos).

It's only a local counter towards Entropy, as it receives energy from some
external source moving towards Entropy (ie. the sun). But, in general, I
agree. That tendency is pretty much the definition of biological
evolution, in fact.

- Andrew

Old November 24th 03, 06:01 PM
John T

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

it _might_ be insulting (to people with no or other belief)

First of all, I'm not interested in protecting the people I *might* offend.
That's the issue I have with the modern environment of political correctness
run amok. It's not about the intent to offend, but the perception of
offense - and everybody's offended by something.

and why has to start every day in school with the Pledge of
Allegiance? (one nation UNDER GOD [!])

Why doesn't a frog have wings? For that matter, why does the Pledge have to
be repeated? Isn't a single pledge enough?

it _might_ be insulting (to people with no or other belief)

See above. If people stopped *being* offended, everybody would get along so
much better. There are far bigger issues to deal with around here than
having "Allah" or "God" or "Buddha" printed on my money.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 24th 03, 06:05 PM
John T

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Rethink that. Instead of a Christian prayer, Congress faces Mecca
and prays to Allah. Most congressmen are Muslim. Nothing more.

If this were a predominantly Muslim nation, I'd expect that to be normal.
Look, don't misconstrue my argument here. My *only* point was that the
phrase "In God we trust" is not a violation of the anti-establishment clause
of the First Amendment.

You don't think there would be a subtle "tyranny of the majority"
present here, when every day the highest ruling body of the nation
acknwledges its subservience to Allah?

Again, my understanding of the rationality of prayer is not the issue. That
was brought up as an example of violation of the anti-establishment clause -
and it's not.

Old November 24th 03, 06:08 PM
Wdtabor

In article , Martin Hotze
writes:

"John T" wrote:

But...if that's the bias of the majority of the Members, where's the harm?

that's the _problem_ wih democracies ... you have to defend minorities.

No, that is not a problem with democracies, which IS the problem with
democracies.

Our Constitution protects minorites from the tyranny of the majority, but a
true democracy provides no such protection, as there is no limit to the whim of
the majority.

No sane person would want to live in a democracy.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old November 24th 03, 06:15 PM
lance smith

Science does postulate things such as the speed of light and the
'weight' of a photon. However scientists are always working on
proving/disproving hypotheses and postulates to refine them. This
can't be said for all studies.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ng_010815.html

-lance smith

Bob Noel wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote:

Nope! Science isn't about proving negatives. It just doesn't make sense.

Give me one statement in science that you cannot prove.

The speed of light is constant over time.

or how about:

The speed of light is the same now as it was billions of years ago.

Old November 24th 03, 06:16 PM
Ash Wyllie

H. Adam Stevens opined

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 04:41:38 GMT, Earl Grieda wrote:

God created everything that we do not yet understand.

So it was God who created the FAA?

That was the work of satan.......

God created Satan, so He is still responsible.

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Old November 24th 03, 06:17 PM
John T

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

So it is OK for you to print "Allah is great" on US money?

If you're asking whether I *care* if "Allah" were on the money, the answer
is "not unless it means I can't spend it."

Again, my only point in this sub-thread has been that there isn't a
Constitutional argument against the phrase. Those wishing to have it
removed may have a point, but they need to find another argument to make
their case.

Old November 24th 03, 06:18 PM
Ash Wyllie

Dan Luke opined

"Wdtabor" wrote:
America: where the Conservatives aren't conservative and the Liberals
aren't liberal.

Where do I sign up for the new party?

WWW.LP.ORG

Close, but no cigar. The LP's blind faith in laissez-faire capitalism
betrays a failure to understand that *any* unrestrained power threatens
liberty. It matters not whether that power is in the hands of
government, religion, labor unions or business.

Of all the organizations mentioned, only governments claim the right to shoot
first and ask questions later.