A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Insurance claim... do you end up paying it back with increased premiums?

Old July 28th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess
external usenet poster

Default Insurance claim... do you end up paying it back with increased premiums?

If you make a claim of say $5000 and want to stay insured, do you end up paying it back (and maybe more)?

When I first started glider insurance, I was surprised that you couldn't buy a large-deductible policy. From at least one comment I'm wondering if it's a moot question. I get the feeling that you end up paying in increased premiums for all but the most expensive claims, so maybe it's best to pay for some repairs myself. Any idea where the break-even point is? Will an agent tell me?

Old July 28th 15, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Insurance claim... do you end up paying it back with increased premiums?

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 4:04:13 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
If you make a claim of say $5000 and want to stay insured, do you end up paying it back (and maybe more)?

When I first started glider insurance, I was surprised that you couldn't buy a large-deductible policy. From at least one comment I'm wondering if it's a moot question. I get the feeling that you end up paying in increased premiums for all but the most expensive claims, so maybe it's best to pay for some repairs myself. Any idea where the break-even point is? Will an agent tell me?

I also looked in to this. Costello provided a clear answer: Gliders are too small a market to bother with customized policies, and figuring out the loss ratios depending on deductibles.

Then I broke a canopy. $5000 canopy, extra premiums $2,500. So it's half insurance and half a savings plan.

Your hull insurance premiums pay for a lot of broken canopies, crunched ailerons, etc.

John Cochrane
Old July 28th 15, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 7:48:56 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:

Your hull insurance premiums pay for a lot of broken canopies, crunched ailerons, etc.

John Cochrane

You're welcome :-).

-Evan
Old July 28th 15, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 5:48:56 PM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 4:04:13 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:

I also looked in to this. Costello provided a clear answer: Gliders are too small a market to bother with customized policies, and figuring out the loss ratios depending on deductibles.

Then I broke a canopy. $5000 canopy, extra premiums $2,500. So it's half insurance and half a savings plan.

John Cochrane

I broke a canopy. IIRC I paid for 40% of the cost of replacement/repair spread over five years by my calculations. I did not claim the transportation costs in my claim though I have known other pilot/owners to claim transport. It can be quite expensive when the repair station is a few states away..

Frank Whiteley