Is Rumsfeld gunning for the F/A-22?

Old March 28th 04, 01:24 AM
Henry J Cobb

Default Is Rumsfeld gunning for the F/A-22?

This latest leaked memo seems to follow Rumsfeld's pattern of accusing
systems of not being transformational enough.

http://www.pogo.org/p/defense/da-040305-fa22.html
A document recently leaked showed that the White House had instructed
the Pentagon to conduct a review of the F/A-22 and the Comanche
helicopter (a copy can be viewed at
http://www.pogo.org/m/dp/dp-ombfa22-2004.pdf).

If I was a spin doctor working for The Force, I'd make a quick name
change to F-22 and A-35 and then have Jumper say "Gosh Senator, without
the F-22 to clear the way, what would be the point of building A-35
tactical bombers?"

-HJC

Old March 28th 04, 01:29 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
This latest leaked memo seems to follow Rumsfeld's pattern of accusing
systems of not being transformational enough.

http://www.pogo.org/p/defense/da-040305-fa22.html
A document recently leaked showed that the White House had instructed
the Pentagon to conduct a review of the F/A-22 and the Comanche
helicopter (a copy can be viewed at
http://www.pogo.org/m/dp/dp-ombfa22-2004.pdf).

If I was a spin doctor working for The Force, I'd make a quick name
change to F-22 and A-35 and then have Jumper say "Gosh Senator, without
the F-22 to clear the way, what would be the point of building A-35
tactical bombers?"

"The new GAO report released today documents that the Air Force will only be
able to purchase 218 aircraft, down from the previous estimate of 276. This
would put the per unit purchase price of the F/A-22 at $329 million,
according to calculations by the Project On Government Oversight. However,
this assumes there will be no more funding increases to the program. In
April, 2003 the GAO had testified that per unit costs of the F/A-22 were
$257 million."

Looks like my amortization estimates were a tad low; like the USAF's.

Old March 28th 04, 05:09 PM
Thomas Schoene

Henry J Cobb wrote:
This latest leaked memo seems to follow Rumsfeld's pattern of accusing
systems of not being transformational enough.

News flash. Rumsfeld does not run the Office of Management and Budget.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old March 28th 04, 05:33 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
Henry J Cobb wrote:
This latest leaked memo seems to follow Rumsfeld's pattern of accusing
systems of not being transformational enough.

News flash. Rumsfeld does not run the Office of Management and Budget.

Rumsfeld drops "what if" snowflakes on every question he can think of.

Old March 28th 04, 05:48 PM
Henry J Cobb

Thomas Schoene wrote:
Henry J Cobb wrote:
This latest leaked memo seems to follow Rumsfeld's pattern of accusing
systems of not being transformational enough.

News flash. Rumsfeld does not run the Office of Management and Budget.

That's not where this memo came from.

And the GAO report quotes Rumsfeld's office for the sky high price tag.

-HJC

Old March 28th 04, 06:39 PM
Thomas Schoene

Henry J Cobb wrote:
Thomas Schoene wrote:
Henry J Cobb wrote:
This latest leaked memo seems to follow Rumsfeld's pattern of
accusing systems of not being transformational enough.

News flash. Rumsfeld does not run the Office of Management and
Budget.

That's not where this memo came from.

Yes, Henry, it is. POGO specifically calls it an OMB memo. Even without a
copy on letterhead, anyone familiar with these sorts of documents will
immediately recognize it as an OMB directive. Phrases like "An indepenendant
contractor ... should be comissioned by DoD, with OMB approval..." are
pretty clear markers.

And the GAO report quotes Rumsfeld's office for the sky high price
tag.

But GAO is misunderstanding what they were told (as they usually do). OSD
came back with a cost for all planned upgrades over the life of the program,
and GAO is claiming that this is only for ground-attack fixes in the near
term.

Old March 28th 04, 07:03 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
Henry J Cobb wrote:

snip
And the GAO report quotes Rumsfeld's office for the sky high price
tag.

But GAO is misunderstanding what they were told (as they usually do). OSD
came back with a cost for all planned upgrades over the life of the

program,
and GAO is claiming that this is only for ground-attack fixes in the near
term.

It is a lot of money to add to a $339 million a copy airplane, just to have
a mission.

Old March 29th 04, 02:00 AM
Kevin Brooks

Henry J Cobb wrote:
Thomas Schoene wrote:
Henry J Cobb wrote:
[...]

Give it up, Tom; this was explained in detail to Henry the last time he
trotted out the GAO report and claimed it was going to take $11 billion plus
to make the F-22 into the F/A-22. He obviously ain't real quick on the
uptake.

Brooks