cobra wheel bearings and brakes

Old August 12th 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cobra wheel bearings and brakes

I know this has come up in the past, but i'm having trouble finding the previous posts.
I recently bought a Carat in a 2005 Cobra trailer and had it hauled from the west coast to here in Georgia on a flat bed. When i started pulling the trailer, the hubs started getting hot within 12 miles, the right side more than the left. The brake assembly housing got, if anything, hotter than the hub. I assume the grease has dried out of the sealed wheel bearings. I jacked the trailer up and the wheels turn freely without wobble, but make a rubbing sound. Also the brakes squeal when braking. I tried to determine whether the brake drums might be dragging, The cables seem to fully release when the brake lever releases (though i don't know how to check if a brake return spring has failed).

What's the best source of wheel bearings (and brake parts if needed)? Any suggestions for further diagnosis?

thanks,

Key
Old August 12th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 8:33:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I know this has come up in the past, but i'm having trouble finding the previous posts.

I recently bought a Carat in a 2005 Cobra trailer and had it hauled from the west coast to here in Georgia on a flat bed. When i started pulling the trailer, the hubs started getting hot within 12 miles, the right side more than the left. The brake assembly housing got, if anything, hotter than the hub. I assume the grease has dried out of the sealed wheel bearings. I jacked the trailer up and the wheels turn freely without wobble, but make a rubbing sound. Also the brakes squeal when braking. I tried to determine whether the brake drums might be dragging, The cables seem to fully release when the brake lever releases (though i don't know how to check if a brake return spring has failed).

Hi Key,

I have the info you need, but not with me. I'll be home from Uvalde in about week and a half.
There are two kinds--a 4-Bolt hub, and a 5 bolt hub.

If you are in a hurry, You can remove the drum and take it to an automotive machine shop. They can press out the bearing, and from it, can cross reference the replacement. They are about $45-$50.
You may need new brake linings-a kit from Cobra includes the return springs.. If the brakes overheated, it would cook the grease out of the bearing, and anneal the springs.

Good luck---email me directly in about a week, and I'll send info when I get home.

Old August 12th 12, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:33:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Hi Key

The Cobra trailer will have sealed bearings, they are unlikely to be the problem by themselves, pretty indestructable. Heating is maybe more likely caused by misadjusted brakes (folks not following the simple written up instructions from Cobra, and especially people dinking with adjusting the activator linkages instead of using the star adjusters at the brake assembly.) If the wheel bearings really got hot from maladjusted brakrs or from being driven with the parking brake lever engaged then the sealed bearing could also be shot now, as well as maybe your brake linings. A quick look/play will tell all. Your best source of all things Cobra, parts, advice, personal therapy, are your buddies at Williams Soaring.

Darryl
Old August 12th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

11, 2012 6:33:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I would look at (Cobratrailer.com) They list the brake pads and some useful information on adjusting the brakes. Click on (ALKO instructions) a PDF file on brake replacement or (Brake handbook) for Brake adjustment PDF file.
Old August 13th 12, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
guy

Go to www.williamssoaring.com
They have all parts in stock.
Sometimes it is easier and better to replace the whole hub assembly.
Anyway, they have parts and can talk you through the problems and
choices.
Guy "DDS"

Repacking wheel bearings Ramy Soaring 2 June 12th 09 05:03 AM
Komet trailer wheel bearings Dan[_6_] Soaring 7 February 9th 09 06:13 AM
Q about trailer wheel bearings Ken Ward Soaring 1 September 15th 06 02:40 AM
E2-C wheel bearings needed CaptAro Restoration 1 July 19th 03 04:32 AM