R22 training software or simulator??

Old October 2nd 03, 10:47 AM
Andrew Crane

"ChopperJon2" wrote in message
Microsoft flightsim is great and realistic. Use the bell 206. or download

an
r-22 addon from simviation

Microsoft Flightsim is nowhere near approaching realistic in its flight
models of any helicopter.

- c of g appears to be behind the tail
- can't autorotate
- flaring doesn't reduce descent
- low rotor RPM doesn't affect lift, doesn't cause nose-down pitch
- descent rate far too high on low collective
- translational lift, VRS, t/r VRS, flap-back, and lots of other stuff
not modelled

etc, etc..

It's basically a plane that can take off vertically, not at all like a
helicopter.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Old October 4th 03, 09:58 AM

Andrew,

I had exactly the same experience that you did until a guy told me to
reduce the "realism" control to a little less than maximum. Prior to
that, if you are hovering and pull the stick back a little the
helicopter will start to climb, nose first. This is what will happen
if you are moving forward, but in a hover this shouldn't happen.
Reducing the realism setting back a notch helped a lot. I have no
trouble doing autorotations now and it flys more like a real
helicopter.

Note that I said "more like" a real helicopter. It still has a lot to
be desired. The Search and Rescue demo was closer to the real thing
as far as flight modeling, however,FS2002 wins as far as controls and
the other aspects.

Dennis.

"Andrew Crane" wrote:

[...]

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old October 23rd 03, 01:44 AM
kent shih

Can you buy control equipment similar in a helicopter for collective,
cyclic, pedals to fly the R22 in the MSFS2004?

Kent

Old October 23rd 03, 12:27 PM

Cyclic - yes - use a joystick from any store that sells gaming
suppies.

Pedals - yes - not as comman as joysticks, but they are available.

Collective - I haven't seen an actual collective control, but FS will
use the throttle control on the joystick. Since the R22 has a
governor, you don't normally need the throttle in most simulations.

NOTE: To make FS work worth a smeg, back off on the realism to just
under 100%.

Dennis.

Old October 26th 03, 01:36 AM

Flight Link sells a complete set of helicopter controls. I have flown
them, and I personally think they're worth about 1/3 of what they cost,
but other people seem to like 'em.

http://www.flightlink.com/hardware/rotorwing/index.html

There is also an outfit in the UK that builds a contraption that
integrates a hacked Saitek joystick. This one intrigues me quite a bit,
esp. if/when they get their twist grip going.

http://www.simcontrol.co.uk/newheli.htm

For now, I'm still using the same stuff I've been using for years - CH
Combatstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals. This is about the least
expensive setup you can get that roughly simulates rotorcraft controls.

Dave Blevins