Max RPM for constant speed

Old November 3rd 05, 12:16 PM
Dan Luke

Default Max RPM for constant speed

"Denny" wrote in message
ps.com...
Confusion reigns, Dan... Lets assume a 2700 rpm continuous engine...
Extra fuel for cooling the exhaust valves comes when the throttle is
firewalled.... Pull it back a quarter inch and you lose the cooling...
Prop speed control comes from the setting of the prop governor
adjustment screw and/or the prop lever position... This also controls
the engines power...

So, if a 2700 rpm engine is adjusted to run 2700 at full throttle and
full prop lever then you climb at full throttle and full prop lever,
gaining the benefits of fuel cooling at max continuous power...
If the engine governer is set at 2750 and the pilot pulls the
throttle
back to reduce power to max continuous, then he loses the benefits of
extra fuel flow for valve cooling...

It's really got nothing to do with the RPM setting, per se, which
Robert's post implied. It's purely a matter of throttle and/or mixture
setting: one can run max rich at lower RPM.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 3rd 05, 01:27 PM
Denny

Dan, either we are miscommunicating or there is confusion...
At full throttle you cut in an extra X% of fuel flow, beyond 'max
rich'... It is for cooling the exhaust valves at take-off power...
Pull the throttle back, even a small amount, from full forward and you
lose that extra X% of cooling... It is the same for carburetor and
injected engines...
The RPM at which you can run full throttle continuously is in the
POH... Reduce power in climb by reducing the prop to that RPM and leave
the throttle full forward and your engine will be a happy camper with
cool valves... My API / CFI buddy still hasn't figured it out...

On my Super Viking Take-Off RPM was limited to 5 minutes... But you can
pull the RPM back to Max-Continuous power, still at full throttle, and
run it all day and have the benefits of the valve cooling - hard on the
fuel supply though... It is a separate metering circuit on the
injector body for full throttle cooling... Pull the throttle back as
little as a quarter inch and the valve cooling metering circuit shuts
off... Leave the throttle retarded slightly in a long hot climb and you
will likely have valve damage...

Same thing applies to fixed pitch propellprs... Leave the throttle
firewalled in climb for the cooling - assuming the POH allows it... As
soon as you pull the throttle you lose the cooling... Now, be aware
that as you climb at full throttle you are losing manifold pressure
with each thousand feet gained, which is automatically reducing the
engines output power, reducing the strain, and improving the cooling by
allowing the mixture to go even richer than it was a thousand feet
lower... Airplanes, at lower altitudes, are best climbed at full
throttle... Funny how those dumb engineers at the tractor engine
factory figured that out all on their own without any help from us god
like pilots...

cheers .../ denny

Old November 3rd 05, 01:52 PM

Denny wrote:
: soon as you pull the throttle you lose the cooling... Now, be aware
: that as you climb at full throttle you are losing manifold pressure
: with each thousand feet gained, which is automatically reducing the
: engines output power, reducing the strain, and improving the cooling by
: allowing the mixture to go even richer than it was a thousand feet
: lower...

... so leaning to a constant EGT in a climb is a great way to keep the *same*
overrich mixture without going too rich.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old November 3rd 05, 03:12 PM
Dan Luke

"Denny" wrote:

Dan, either we are miscommunicating or there is confusion...
At full throttle you cut in an extra X% of fuel flow, beyond 'max
rich'... It is for cooling the exhaust valves at take-off power...
Pull the throttle back, even a small amount, from full forward and you
lose that extra X% of cooling... It is the same for carburetor and
injected engines...
The RPM at which you can run full throttle continuously is in the
POH... Reduce power in climb by reducing the prop to that RPM and leave
the throttle full forward and your engine will be a happy camper with
cool valves...

That's what I'm saying. It really has nothing to do with the RPM setting.
In fact, the higher the RPM, the higher the horsepower and the higher the
CHT.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old November 3rd 05, 03:40 PM
Stan Prevost

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...

At full throttle you cut in an extra X% of fuel flow, beyond 'max
rich'... It is for cooling the exhaust valves at take-off power...
Pull the throttle back, even a small amount, from full forward and you
lose that extra X% of cooling... It is the same for carburetor and
injected engines...

On our Turbo Saratoga's TIO540S1AD, the throttle is nowhere near full
forward at takeoff when we set max manifold pressure. Full forward will
significantly overboost. The throttle has to be continually moved forward
as altitude increases, reaching full forward at critical altitude.
Throttle-linked wastegate, no turbocharger governor.

Stan

Old November 3rd 05, 04:49 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Newps wrote:

: Around xx rpm is as good as you can do. No way, no how with an aircraft
: engine do you set any one particular rpm and the governor keeps it
: precisely there. You will always have a minimum 15 rpm variance.

A friend with an Arrow has a electronic tach. It has a red light that
comes on at 2701 RPM. When he starts the takeoff roll he takes at least
5 seconds to push in full throttle to "prevent the engine overspeed
light from coming on". He also chases the tach constantly during the
takeoff and while flying. "I want 25"/2500, not 2505!" This is why I don't
have an electronic tach....
--
Aaron C.
Old November 4th 05, 07:56 AM
Thomas Borchert

Aaron,

This is why I don't
have an electronic tach....

The problem you describe is not at all caused by the electronic tach...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 4th 05, 09:06 PM
Denny

That's true and it is because the cheap sob's who built your plane
refused to spend the money for proper boost control... That's a
business decision unrelated to proper engine management... Assuming tha
tthe fuel engineer knew his business you should have adequate fuel flow
for valve cooling built into the fuel controller at part throttle...
However, my experience is that turbo airplanes are hard on exhaust
valve...

denny