Cheating the ILS

Old September 1st 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
[email protected][_1_]

Default Cheating the ILS

Hello,

The other day, I was flyng the ILS into Stockton CA. Just for yuks,
I set the GPS
( GNS430 ) to the approach - with the warning that it was for
situational awareness
and entertainment only . Naturally, the indicator was set to
VOR/LOC.

Sliding down the approach, I had the bright idea to select the NAV
page with
all the numbers - rather than the map page. With the needle centered,
I turned
the airplane so that the ground track number matched the DTK ( desired
track ) number. And then just read the reference heading off the DG.

Using the ground track # off the GPS was much faster than the usual
experimentation. I was easily able to keep the localizer needle in the
donut all the way down.

- Jerry Kaidor ( )

Old September 1st 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yeah, this isn't cheating, it's using the tools available to you. On
the main map screen, the 430 doesn't show your ground track (the TRK
field), but the fields on that screen are configurable (something like
"menu - change data fields"). I always swap out the ground speed field
(which I'm only occasionally interested in, and can get from another
screen) with the TRK field, which I'm pretty much always interested in.

It takes the workload out of determining a heading that gets you your
wind correction. This "is nice", because this typically changes as you
descend.
-harry

Old September 2nd 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John Kirksey

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I hope it's not cheating, because that trick made partial panel approaches
real easy on my checkride

John K.
PP-ASEL-IA (newly minted)

Old September 2nd 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill Zaleski

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:52:43 GMT, "John Kirksey"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you select "track angle error" as a field, you don't have to look
at both numbers (Desired track and Track)

Old September 3rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
[email protected][_1_]

John Kirksey wrote:

I hope it's not cheating, because that trick made partial panel approaches
real easy on my checkride

*** I guess the reason I think of it as "cheating" is - what happens
if the magic
box dies in the clouds? Better be able to do the job with the old
equipment....

- Jerry Kaidor

Old September 3rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 3 Sep 2006 08:00:09 -0700, " wrote:

John Kirksey wrote:

I hope it's not cheating, because that trick made partial panel approaches
real easy on my checkride

*** I guess the reason I think of it as "cheating" is - what happens
if the magic
box dies in the clouds? Better be able to do the job with the old
equipment....

- Jerry Kaidor

Some time ago I had to make a PAR approach to an airfield. Normally I
would expect to use the AI & VSI for primary navigation but I found I
was using the DI almost exclusively. I was being given instructions in
the form of left/right of track and above/below glideslope. Following
the DI numbers and making very minor VSI adjustments gave an easy
approach with minimal error.

I've done a similar flight using the GPS when VFR and found using the
numbers very easy, even my wife, who's not a pilot, made a very good
job of keeping heading.

Cheating the Reaper! JJS Piloting 7 July 19th 06 03:34 PM
Blair Manipulated Intelligence to Justify War, says BBC film [email protected] Naval Aviation 4 March 22nd 05 06:45 PM
Date of effect now 1 April 2004 for revised IGC-approval for certain legacy types of GNSS flight recorder Ian Strachan Soaring 56 December 2nd 03 08:08 AM