I'll Drop The Bomb on You, Baby!

Old June 23rd 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Russell Underwood

Default I'll Drop The Bomb on You, Baby!

Maybe we should have played that over loud speakers to force the Germans to
surrender?

Anyhow, this is the bomb bay of AAF 44-85740 Aluminum Overcast at Newport
News, VA on 13Sep95. I am lying on my back beneath the plane, with a 28mm
lens, and it was still a tight squeeze. Barely visible is the narrow walkway
through the bomb bay.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAF B17G 44-85740 Aluminum Overcast bomb bay Newport NewsVA 13Sep95 -Russell Underwood.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	13439
Old June 24th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Russell Underwood

I forgot to ask....

What do the number of stripes indicate on each bomb?
I have no idea what the duct tape is for.BG

Thanks!

Russell Underwood

Old June 24th 07, 12:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clairbear

"Russell Underwood" wrote in news:2Ehfi.158216$dC2.53204
@newsfe13.lga:

I forgot to ask....

What do the number of stripes indicate on each bomb?
I have no idea what the duct tape is for.BG

Thanks!

Russell Underwood

Ancient Chinese secret.

Or perhaps code as to type of expolsive? or some got bored one day?

Old June 24th 07, 12:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Russell Underwood wrote:
I forgot to ask....

What do the number of stripes indicate on each bomb?
I have no idea what the duct tape is for.BG

Thanks!

Russell Underwood

Some of the answers will be found at the bottom of this pic.

Now, looking for the page on duct tape.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USAAF Bomb markings.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	13440
Old June 24th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Russell Underwood

Some of the answers will be found at the bottom of this pic.

Now, looking for the page on duct tape.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Thank you!

Russell Underwood

Old June 24th 07, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Russell Underwood wrote:

Thank you!

Russell Underwood

No probs Russ

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old June 24th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
MaXiLeeCH

"Russell Underwood" wrote in message
Maybe we should have played that over loud speakers to force the Germans
to surrender?

Anyhow, this is the bomb bay of AAF 44-85740 Aluminum Overcast at Newport
News, VA on 13Sep95. I am lying on my back beneath the plane, with a 28mm
lens, and it was still a tight squeeze. Barely visible is the narrow
walkway through the bomb bay.

Hi Russell,
Whilst it is an impressive shot, I cant help but wonder if there ever was a
similar shot taken of an Avro Lancasters bomb bay that was filled up with
either a 'Tall Boy' 6 ton or a "Grand Slam' 10 ton bomb.
Now, they were BOMBS. :-)

--

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Atherton

Old June 24th 07, 07:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Goldsberry

These "bombs" look like the training bombs filled with water and sand to
approx. the weight of the real McCoy.
The filler cap is on the top of the bomb.
The "fuze" is a pipe into which is inserted a "shotgun" style smoke charge
giving accurate spotting where the bomb landed.
Dick...

Old June 24th 07, 01:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Russell Underwood

"Richard Goldsberry" wrote in message
These "bombs" look like the training bombs filled with water and sand to
approx. the weight of the real McCoy.
The filler cap is on the top of the bomb.
The "fuze" is a pipe into which is inserted a "shotgun" style smoke charge
giving accurate spotting where the bomb landed.
Dick...

(with a snicker...)
That would definately explain the duct tape.
The steel looks a little thin as well.

Thanks!

Russell Underwood

Old June 26th 07, 03:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John[_8_]

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:42:54 -0400, "Richard Goldsberry"
wrote:

These "bombs" look like the training bombs filled with water and sand to
approx. the weight of the real McCoy.

Actually, they are likely filled with only air. The FAA gets really
upset when you load live ordinance on a non-military (active)
aircarft. Training loads with smoke charges actually fall in the same
category. I doubt if "Aluminum Overcast" ever actually drops anything.
Getting permission to do that would be pretty difficult (there is
always the possibility of inadvertant drops) I would think.

Even for active duty types on a scheduled mission, the paperwork and
opportunities to explain onesself are quite amazing when you drop even
a training round where it wasn't supposed to be. When I was an IP in
the training command in S. Texas, we had a student that, unknowingly,
lost a MK-76 (http://www.ordnance.org/practice.htm) onto a van parked
in a town enroute to the target. The solo student leading the flight
also was impressed by the effect of his taking the flight OVER the
town instead of AROUND it as briefed. Oh, the IP's in the flight had
no time to correct the situation as the town was just south of the
field and the student was supposed to delay the departure turn to
target until past it, but turned right after cleanup.

No one saw the bomb leave the aircraft because it was #4 in the
formation. He had a "no spot" during the runs but all aircraft were
clean on joinup for the trip home. It was not until after they got
back were the pieces put together as to what had actually happened.

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B

safety question: providing oxygen to a baby in the case of a drop of cabin pressure [email protected] General Aviation 4 August 27th 05 04:29 PM
no RPM drop on mag check Dave Butler Owning 19 November 2nd 04 02:55 AM
Drop in and say hello Gilan Home Built 0 June 4th 04 05:12 PM
Drop in and say hello Gilan Owning 0 June 4th 04 05:12 PM
Drop in and say hello Gilan Piloting 0 June 4th 04 05:12 PM